• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ace radium 1-32n 20

Started by 1-32, September 03, 2013, 01:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all.
how are we all , this side of the world it has been the easter long weekend.nice break and a bit of much needed rain.
this is a update re ace radium at the moment i am very happy about it as always it is good to see progress.i hope the photoes do the explaning
kind regards kim.

Ray Dunakin

Nice! Lots of interesting "clutter" that all seems to belong.

One thing that seems "off" to me is the color of the weeds in that first photo. The green is too bright, IMHO. If you have an airbrush maybe you could go over them a little and tone it down, also maybe add some dust/dirt to them too.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

good call ray
i think it is more the colour of the picture than real life.the model is not that bright. one day i will get a decent photo taking set up.
regards kim

Barney

Coming on nicely - I think the bright green is right - the algae on a lot of pounds often comes across in these bright greens - very nice
Barney 

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Hi Kim,
Once nice to see the progress of your great work.

I think with your pictures is just a matter of light and a possible white balance.

Look, please, I've added a filter just something blue.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

hi helmut
neat trick did you photo shop my post-i like it.
really i will retake the shot with different light and re post it.
cheers kim

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

I was fortunate to see Kim's superb model "in the flesh" at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention over the weekend.  As always Kim has captured the spirit of narrow gauge and the industrial scene to perfection.  attention to detail in a great free style, without resorting to the "backwoodsy" format so prevalent at the moment the diorama oozes atmosphere.

Kim treats his diorama as a theatrical set as a result of which the eye is correctly drawn to the areas of focus.  This is a technique we should all take note off.  Perhaps the diorame would be even more dramatic if Kim had installed concealed "footlights" in the lower levels of the diorama.  Such concealed lights would improve the ability to see the wonderful details "on stage" and draw the eye even more to the key areas.

reading the comments in this subject, particularly those related to the "excessively bright greens" I would note that when you see the actual model that in fact note the case.  Yes, the plants in the water are bright green, however this is correct insofar that these water plants provide the required contrast to emphasize the drab, dilapidated industrial environment.  this is the same with the tree where this again emphasizes the new growth in contrast with the buildings at the end of their functional life.

Noteworthy that this diorama would have won a First Place in Dioramas (and most likely Best in Show) if Kim had entered the contest with this exceptional waterfront industrial diorama.

Kim, thank you for bringing your diorama for all to see.

BernardS

finescalerr

Kim and Bernard seem to have done rather nicely. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

danpickard

Hi Kim,
Was a pleasure to catch up again at the Convention over the weekend, and as Bernard indicated, it is so much better to experience this little creation in the flesh.  It has a distinct richness to the colour palette that I have only seen you pull off to this result.  There is a definite different warm feeling about your representation of decay.  A collection of ugly stuff presented beautifully.  Having the chance to check out this wonderfully little effort made the 1600km round trip worth while.  There was usually a good little collection of mesmerised onlookers in front of this diorama during the afternoon I was on display.  That normally says a lot when someone can stand and admire/explore something so small for so long.  It does a brilliant job or capturing ones attention.

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

"A collection of ugly stuff presented beautifully." That made me laugh, Dan. It reminded me of the "compliment" in a friend's joke: "For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much." -- Russ

Bill Gill

It reminded me of the "compliment" in a friend's joke: "For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much." -- Russ

Or...'The food was terrible at that restaurant'. 'Yes, and such small servings'. Yet you take a small slice of terrible, Kim, and make it terrific.

1-32

hi all.
well here is the final photo of ace i has been a lot of fun but it is time to move on.

at the moment i do not have a workshop this wont change for a few months but it has not stopped me planning.my next project is inspired by the swedish manafacture -ikea call it the flat pack model.i want to travel with a small display that will fit into my luggage.carry on size 50 cm long 30 cm wide and 20 cm heigh[about 20 inches 12 inches and 8 inches.i know that models travel all the time but it want mine to fold out into pieces like a kit to make a complete working scene.the scene well i want to make it a extension of ace.
i cant wait.
kind regards kim

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Kim, to my eye this diorama is a significant improvement over the earlier one. Everything works. The colors are effective. It's a little gem. -- Russ