• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chipping Technique Using Glass Cleaner (Windex)

Started by JohnTolcher, June 22, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTolcher

Hi folks
My latest little project is a Tamiya Mini Cooper in 1/24 scale, not really a remarkable model but the recipient of a new weathering technique. Invented by me!!

Okay not really, some guy named Marc Reusser did something very similar a few months ago, I liked it and stole it. So there.

The result is a much softer edge and finer pattern than the hairspray technique, plus multiple layers of colour can be exposed with relative ease. I think it's good for replicating very old deteriorated paint, sun damaged or oxidised, so that rust or primer has been able to break through the failing top coat. Like here for example:

Here is the model so far, after using the technique:

All paints used are Tamiya acrylics thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner.

First I airbrushed a coat of dark rust, which was then protected with a good layer of dullcote. This was allowed to cure for a couple of days.

Then lighter rust tones were airbrushed one over the other, then a layer of white, then finally yellow and blue. This was allowed to cure for at least 3 hours.

Then one part water was mixed with one part windex; this mix was carefully scrubbed over parts of the paint with a paint brush. Some water was kept handy to douse the paint in case the eating of the surface got away from me. Windex is a glass and window cleaner, containing Isopropanal, 2-Butoxethanol, Ethylene, Water, and Ammonia, available here and in the US. I'm not sure about other countries.

Some scratches were carefully added with a scalpel or some fine sandpaper.

While focusing on the sun damaged paint on upper surfaces I neglected to add areas of rust in lower spots, from trapped water and gunk. This will be added in further stages.

So that's how it stands at present, cheers!
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Alexandre

Wonderful. Thanks a lot for the helpful caption.
Saw it already and really like these soft/blurred edges.
Well done John.  :)

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JohnTolcher

Alexandre and Ray, thanks. It is just a start, I'm hoping the combination with other techniques will compliment the effect.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Chuck Doan

I will also be interested as this progresses.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Alexandre

Quote from: JohnTolcher on June 24, 2013, 03:15:55 PM
Alexandre and Ray, thanks. It is just a start, I'm hoping the combination with other techniques will compliment the effect.

Cheers
JT

Absolutely, it looks like a promising technique for different layers of different effects. Just like HS benefits from traditional foam/sponge technique.

compressor man

Wow this looks great. Seems much more subtle than using the hairspray technique. Great job!
Chris

JohnTolcher

Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Hi folks, here's some progress photos:

The motor painted, dusty and oily.

Here some oil paints were used to add rust stains and streaks, the kits chrome parts were aged with a spray of dullcote. I made new side windows from clear plastic, they are glued in with Tamiya acrylic clear varnish, clean up on the clear parts was with Tamiya lacquer thinner (being careful not to melt the paint with that.

Thanks for having a look, cheers!
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Andi Little

Continues to look like most Mini's I remember - did you perchane see that the last last Mini off the line has been discovered abandoned at the works: and very badly damaged with most parts pirated away? Still fetched over a hundred and twenty grand though - Sterling at that!
KBO..................... Andi.

jim s-w

That looks awful (in a good way) John

What are the top coats you are using with this technique? acrylic or something else?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Gordon Ferguson

The finish on that engine and engine bay is fantastic and the details such as the grimy grainy oil stain on the rocker cover are brilliant.
Gordon

davidb

The engine in particular is fantastic, John.  It takes me back to my student days - I had an estate version - so much so that I can almost feel and smell the oily grime.

finescalerr

Satisfactory progress at this stage. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com