• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/24 SHOP SWITCHER CLASS W6 #825 0-8-0T

Started by Arno Boudoiron, June 07, 2013, 11:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arno Boudoiron

Thank you Gentlemen

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on August 14, 2013, 11:27:16 AM
That's a huge challenge you want to meet with such a project...
Definitely ;D
I prefer to think about this project only piece by piece. What I mean is each part is a smaller challenge  :)  Like building a Brake Cylinder or a Air Pump or.... the first one was the wheel (After it I thought "hey, this is happening!").
Then maybe one day, with all those parts together, finally the Switcher #825  :)

By the way, I'm very excited to build a 9"1/2 air pump!!!

Arnaud

Chuck Doan

Beautiful castings! I am considering getting some resin castings made too. Good inspiration.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Arno Boudoiron

Thanks, I'll tell him about your comments  :)

Here is the first pedestal/driving box done:

The wedge bolts are incomplete

The green is Duro putty, aka "Green Stuff"

Cheers
Arnaud

finescalerr

Arno Boudoiron

Thanks Russ  :)

Gentlemen (and Ladies?) I need your advice:
I'm looking for some 1/24 scale realistic/accurate US rails. Solid is better, gauge is not important. suggestions? thanks  :)
regard
Arnaud

Arno Boudoiron

A bit of primer to find the spots that need to be rectified or sanded. 
The oil cellar Looks good to me.

Arnaud

finescalerr

I wasn't certain whether this company was still in business but they are: http://www.oldpullmanmodelrailroads.com/op_catalog/rail_and_accessories.pdf

Old Pullman used to specialize in 1:48 and 1:32 scales and so their rail sizes ran a little smaller than those who catered to the outdoor crowd. I think their code 201 might be suitable for you.

Russ

marc_reusser

It all looks beautiful.

...but if I may make a critical suggestion; stop using the green Squadron putty, and use the Tamiya "regular putty" instead, it will sand and finish much cleaner and smoother than the Squadron of any color/type.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Arno Boudoiron

Thanks Russ, much appreciated  :) Looks great.
I didn't find the code 201, maybe 250?
[Edit] Today I learned something about all those "Codes"...

Thank you Marc  :) :)
Hé hé  ;) It's not Squadron putty, as already say it's DURO putty, aka "Green Stuff". Are you familiar with it? Usually people hate it. It's the most sticky compound putty (blue+yellow)! I love it  ;D
About Squadron Putty, you're right! :D I tried the green one, smells terrible, not smooth enough... One thing is good with it: It dries bloody fast! (so fast it melts the plastic of your model :-\)

I use only Tamiya putty, white and gray  8)

finescalerr

Arno, I meant code 205, which you now know is 0.205-inch high. It probably scales out to something like 120 pound rail in 1:24. Code 148 would scale about 6 inches high (that's what I would use) and code 250 would be 1 scale foot high if my arithmetic is correct. (It's usually wrong.) -- Russ

marc_reusser

Aaaak....you're right :D, I HATE DURO....the stuff is an absolute nightmare....like you say sticky like crazy, and it gets everywhere....a nightmare to clean.  Just out of curiosity, why that instead of Sculpy or Milliput?
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Arno Boudoiron

@Russ - Thanks it's crystal clear .
Now I know I can't find a perfect 1/24 copy of rails (as a standard US rail section) Because they are all adapted to the model railway. The flanges are deeper.

@Marc - I'm very comfortable with the Green Stuff  :) Even its sticky side is an advantage for me!
The classic tip is: use metal tool, rub it against a wet sponge or use petroleum jelly. The famous tip is to rub the tool against the skin of your nose! I'm not kidding gentlemen it's the best one :D

I use Milliput as well

finescalerr

According to another manufacturer, Llagas Creek Railways, here is how the rail sizes scale out: http://www.llagastrack.com/#productinfo

It's amusing how we are leapfrogging between plastic putty and rail size.

Russ

jim s-w

Quote from: Arno Boudoiron on August 22, 2013, 10:23:30 AM
@Russ - Thanks it's crystal clear .
Now I know I can't find a perfect 1/24 copy of rails (as a standard US rail section) Because they are all adapted to the model railway. The flanges are deeper.

Not sure about that.  I'f we can get dead scale rail and use dead scale flanges in 1:76 scale there must be something that's scale in 1:24 surely?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright