• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/24 SHOP SWITCHER CLASS W6 #825 0-8-0T

Started by Arno Boudoiron, June 07, 2013, 11:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arno Boudoiron

Hi folks
I'm Arnaud (=Arno), I'm French but I live in Virginia for a few years.
Recently Alexandre told me about the forum, like him I'm a big fan of Maschinen Krieger.
Anyway He said that will be a perfect place to show my WIP of my 1/24 scale choo choo project!

Here is the Class W6 #825.

More pictures here:
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdocs.php?index=rs&id=252&Type=Picture

I fell in love with these switchers a couple years ago. I saw few pictures of her sisters in a book at Barnes & Noble, then I did some search and found the Norfolk & Western Historical Society website... Since I visited a couple times the Museum of Transportation at Roanoke VA.
Obviously I'm a great fan of steam engines and since I'm kid.
About scale model, I prefer fix models on display base... This engine will be fix!

Well,
I started with a wheel. I always thought if I can build one the rest could be possible, slowly, but possible
Here is the master, a sandwich of styrene sheets, machined on a Dremel.

I'm gonna to cast it, I can't do this 8 times!  ;D
After I have to modify a few details between the main driving wheels and the others (see drawings)  

Cheers
Arno

Arno Boudoiron

Right now I'm working on the frame:

I've already done a driving box, just a side. I have to cast it 16 times !

Cheers
Arno

finescalerr

Incroyable!!! And, as a little bonus, he shows us exactly how to build the parts ourselves. Welcome to the forum, Arno. Your modeling appears to be adequate ... so far. -- Russ

lab-dad

Welcome!!!!!
Amazing work!
You did the driver work by hand with your dremel!?
What will you cast them in?
I look forward to seeing more !
Thanks for showing your work.
Marty

Arno Boudoiron

Russ, Marty thanks  :)
I'm not sure if it's the good way to build it, but it's the easy way for me  ;D

Quote from: lab-dad on June 07, 2013, 12:09:21 PMYou did the driver work by hand with your dremel!?
X-Acto, Needle files and my Dremel are my main tools.

Quote from: lab-dad on June 07, 2013, 12:09:21 PMWhat will you cast them in?
... in resin, not metal  ;) this is not for run.

Chuck Doan

More beautiful fabricating! Welcome Arno!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Arno Boudoiron

Thanks Chuck  :)
The (last) picture of the day:

Lot of styrene pieces. Curves made with Milliput putty. The frame' sides must be perfectly flat, they will be  :)

Cheers
Arno

Malachi Constant

Welcome aboard, Arno!  Very interesting to see your ground-up construction of this loco underway ... with quality workmanship!  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Welcome aboard!

Awesome project! That is such an unusual, and interesting locomotive, I can see why you'd want to model it. Great choice of scale too. (I also model in 1/24th scale.)

And I like your "low tech" methods. It's inspiring to see such complex shapes as that wheel, being made with ordinary hand tools.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jim s-w

I really like this prototype,  100% function and 0% form!   

I'll be following this with interest

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

mad gerald

G'day Arnaud,

Quote from: Arno Boudoiron on June 07, 2013, 11:06:25 AM
Recently Alexandre told me about the forum, like him I'm a big fan of Maschinen Krieger.
... welcome to this forum, you'll fit right in ... visited your website/blog - really like your ma.k modelling ...

Cheers

Arno Boudoiron

Thank you all  :) :) :)
Quote from: Ray Dunakin on June 07, 2013, 10:12:38 PM
Great choice of scale too.
First I thought 1/20 or 1/32 then I saw that 1/24 was a classic scale for trains, plus it's the perfect size (I guess) for who works with hand tools  :)

Arno

Alexandre

Glad you found your way here!
:)
I love this project! Don't forget to keep us posted with your Gee Bee R1 too.  :D

Arno Boudoiron

Quote from: Alexandre on June 09, 2013, 02:07:58 AM
Glad you found your way here!
:)
I love this project! Don't forget to keep us posted with your Gee Bee R1 too.  :D
Hi Alex  ;) Yeah my GeeBee! I need more Mojo to wake up this one!  ;D

Pictures of the week:
One side of the frame is done!

These holes in the pedestals are a bit rough! They will hide by the 'driving boxes' and the 'wedges'.

One more!

Next update in a few weeks  :)

Cheers

Arno

lab-dad

That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
I could not do that with my mill!
-Marty