• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My new 1/32 layout

Started by Mr Potato Head, May 30, 2013, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Craig
Thanks, No Darryl is not physically helping, he's mentally giving his advise and experience, he's built like 47 layouts, plus his vast experience and wisdom. Here is another picture of my resin cast track strip, it's 1/32 inspired and pre-drilled to accept code 70 tie plates with four spikes per plate, it has embossed wood grain and is flexible, The master was from Jerry Kitts. I've cast about 15 of them, their 10" long and I need about 10-15 more but I've got enough now to complete what is ready to lay.

Nick
I did put my name on the Model Co list for those skips, but I was never contacted, and the buckets are beautiful, but their gauged for O16.5 , and my track is 3/4" 2 foot gauge. I keep thinking I'll get them anyway and use the buckets, or just figure out a way to etch my own??? More projects,............how log do I have to finish this Lay-Orama ???
Jerry Kitts has that actual skip in front of his house, every time I visit, I wonder if I can't somehow get it in the back of my truck without him knowing,..........shushhhhhhhhh
Now what about that Decauville loco...... how long is the line, is there any line attrition ? who do I bribe to get closer to the front?
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

WOW
Everything looks really good!
You have been busy!
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to post some pictures.

I dont know why Marc needs to see pictures? I'm sure he has some third world with long range satellite imagery of what your doing................

Mj

Mr Potato Head

You know Dr. Strangelove!
He's never there but always watchin,....................................
I actually miss Marc, I missed him at the NNGC in Pasadena, I was going to go , but my niece got married on that weekend and you know it' didn't go so well when I asked for a hall pass,............................Douh!
You know it's always fun to poke the bear, but over the inter-web, it just looses a little something,.................
So hopefully I will get a chance to See Dr. Strangelove and maybe go out to lunch to his private Seinfeld Armenian restaurant
But thanks for looking at my photos, as compressed as they are,.............
MPH
Inverted and cold in Boise, Where's Punxsutawney Phil when you need him?
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Lawton Maner

One of the 19th century English canals was dug using a dredge like the one you've mocked up.

marc_reusser

Pictures are simply meant for cross checking and verifying my other sources here at "Man Behind The Curtain", we like to be thorough.
Sorry too we didn't get a chance to get together...next time. Not Armenian...Lebanese!..."No Hummus for you!"  ;D

....and my apologies for not being here often...but my bench has for the most part been mothballed, and I have been busy other endeavors (studying groundwork)....but I do look in to check my facts and manipulate the strings when I can.  :)

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

solid plaster piers with  rod inside -i,like them a lot.those skiff look great keep posting
kind regards kim

Mr Potato Head

Dr. Strangelove
You seem to spend more time off the bike and in the ER than on the bike?????????????
At what point do you say, maybe I am a better modeler and internet watchdog, than cyclist,...................
Some times someone needs to say the truth :-[ Hey your baby's ugly :o
Be careful out there,.................... you'll need them hands and arms later in life to find the straw to eat from
OK Lebanese, Armenian,,......................so it's been a while,......................
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

some stuff that I pulled out of the air for you......

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

These are too large for what you are doing...but I thought they had a cool look to them.

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Marc
Thanks for those pictures, the first is perfect, I had intended to build something similar.
Here's what this weekends snow and ice storm has brought us. Because of the beautiful weather I worked on Section "ONE" the excavation section, it was roughed out in Blue 2" foam as previously shown. I was not sure about using plaster soaked towels to cover the land form, because of the weight and cracking the mess, so I tried D.A.S. Air clay, I took out my pasta maker, that was all the rage in the 80's and have only used twice to make pasta, so I ran the clay through successive passes, the adjustment knob is from 1-6, I settled on #4 which is about 1/16 of an inch, very thin but still a workable thickness, they are 5" wide and over 20" long and I placed them over a glued surface, I used a straight edge so that the seams would line up, after a little manipulation and some sanding there were very few cracks and very little shrinkage. Because of the thickness it dried overnight, It's a very dry here, the low humidity makes for great powdery snow. Here are pictures of the progress, it's white clay so it's a little hard to take a good picture. I've found an acrylic paint color that matches my red-ish soil I collected, I've started  to paint it and when I post again, it will be dirt-ed in, Lots to do, thanks for watchin.
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

detail_stymied

i found this thread in a saved folder from looong ago. has there been any progress? how did the clay over foam scenery work out? thanks
s.e. charles

Mobilgas

Craig