• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My new 1/32 layout

Started by Mr Potato Head, May 30, 2013, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on July 31, 2013, 05:13:21 PM
Nick is thick as brick....pay him no mind. ;D ;D

Fair enough . I'll leave you to it .

kneighbarger

I really like the direction this is headed Gil, nice job on the track and turnouts...
Looking forward to the next set of photos.......

Ken

chester

Perhaps a bit expensive but have you thought about two part Bondo? certainly strong enough, perhaps even a good color using the red activator.

lab-dad

Yea really!
Whats up?
Even I am back at the bench.
You arecertainly not outside!
Mj

Mobilgas

Craig

Mr Potato Head

Hey thanks for asking!
yes even though there's not much to look at I have been working pretty hard at times to get things accomplished to get this Rube Goldberg layout off the ground!
Just to refresh your memory or mine,......
it's a U shaped- five legged (meaning there are five 5 foot X 2 foot modules, in a U shape around a bedrooms three walls) lay-Orama, not to be confused with a layout or a diorama, I call it Lay-Orama, because it's a five dioramas with trains running through it, it's all "Dead Rail" and most of the turnouts will be hand thrown, or hand actuated.
Now after all the legalese:
Going from right to left, looking at the center section
Section one: all the roadbed and sub-roadbed is in, the foam contours, are complete and 1/3 of the track work is complete but not installed.
Section two: Half of the blue 2" thick Styrofoam is secured in place and I am designing a structure for the spur that runs through.
Center section : There's a five foot long bridge about 12" high with five hand carved stone piers,  and abutments on either side. I am scratch building the Plate girder bridge, which will have two different heights for the two different spans.  I have a bridge mock up in place and the piers secure, and some of the blue foam in, I'm ready to start filling in the rest of the land forms.
Section Four: There's a curved track to connect 4 to 5 and 4 to 3 , that's all that I have done, but it might have to be redone ?
Section Five: This will be a city scene: I've layouted some lines and made track templates , but other than that, my main emphasizes has been the bridge because it determines all the track heights and road bed.
I am casting my own custom tie strips from resin
I will take some pictures so you can put words to pictures.
It's hard to get all these things done, and so many different things to do, but I am trying to stay on top of it.
My Neighbor and only close train buddy Darryl Huffman, has been building  his new layout and he has had great progress, so it's kind of like a transcontinental race of sorts, so his progress fuels mine
Again thanks for asking and more to come and pictures too
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

I think it's easier to see pictures of the aliens at Area 51, than pics of this layout :) :P :P
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mobilgas

Craig

Mr Potato Head

Whoa  :o :o
be careful when you start agreeing with Marc ??? ??? ???
That's a slippery slope,....................................
If the administrator of this forum would allow larger pictures and I wouldn't have to resize them to fit,.....................
remember it's better to have faith, than to have to see, in order to believe,..........
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mr Potato Head

Here's Section One my excavating section for my brick Works, and a mock up of an O&K bucket endless chain excavator. The mock up has tracks, I'll build mine on a 6' gauge track.
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mr Potato Head

Here's the rest of the bridge: It's in the middle section, or section "C" for those without cognitive visualization (Marc) it's five feet long, 12 inches high, that's about in scale 30 feet high and about 120-150 feet long. The piers are solid plaster and carved on all sides, there's a 3/8" threaded stud inside each pier and it's bolted under a 3/4" piece of multi ply plywood. I wanted it to be strong in case I ever took it to a meet or show.
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

That's going to be nice. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Thanks Unc!
I have help now, Darryl Huffman lives down the street and around the block, so it's a lot easier to bounce stuff off him and he's a wealth of knowledge too. Plus he's got a reference library that any major city would be envious of, extra cool bonus for me. And then there's my nemesis: You know that guy that never sleeps at normal intervals, post's messages on lunar timetables, he calls himself the administrator, he's got a scary looking Avatar, I can always just hear him snickering in the background,............
He keeps me on my toes, so hopefully I can get some more done soon. Thanks to him for not having visualization skills and making me post pictures. And thanks to You, Unc, for hosting the forum, I love the forum!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mobilgas

Gill,  No faith....I want the Pictures....so you have been doing some modeling ;D... Got my interest up, keep posting them pictures as you get more done. Is Darryl helping you build the layout?
Craig

shropshire lad

MPH ,

Time to ditch your horrid looking skips and get yourself some of these :

http://heskethscalemodels.com/ourshop/cat_797868-Skip-Wagons.html

Nick