• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My new 1/32 layout

Started by Mr Potato Head, May 30, 2013, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Mr. Wizard ???
I could have one made for you ::) ::) ::) ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 30, 2013, 11:49:27 PM
Nice jugs too.

You had me scrolling back through the thread to see what I'd missed, before I realized that was a typo!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

yea at first I thought I missed something too and it's my thread!
maybe he's talking about my Man Boobs?
sorry, move along nothing to see here
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

1-32

hi gil
nice looking turnouts ,i have tried but have always lost it when i have to check out the rails for the point blades.what gauge are you using?
kind regards kim

Mr Potato Head

I honor of MR 1-32 ;D
I am using 3/4" gauge
3/8n2
Or as Marc calls it Bastard Gauge ::) ::)
On3 wheel sets and track gauges
code 70 rail
I have been robbing mechanisms from On3 locomotives to build a 2-6-0-T Baldwin WWI trench locomotive and a 0-4-0 Porter , and I just got the Ruston that's next on the work bench
Thanks for the nice comment on the turnouts, I worked hard on making them correct, I like the way they came out, I just found some cool ground throws at a local show, so I can continue with my "LOOK MA no wires" theme
More to come
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

1-32

hey gil
i dont know what your theme is for this project but i will post some photoes that may help.generally if you can build all the bits yourself do it ,with the ground throws there are some great examples around are great fun to build yourself i have never found the commercial ones useable.this series of photoes come from a disused armery that had a extensive system of 2 foot railway.
kind regards kim

Mr Potato Head

your first picture is the standard by which I wanted my track and turnout to be like and look like. That's amazing that you chose that picture!
I knew that I could not make corrugated ties or sleepers that could be soldered, so I went with flat PC ties that are very thin, .060 so about 2 inches thick. I wanted the wide spacing to give the portable track feel. It's a brick/clay line with a South American feel or at least set in the early sixties. A line showing a lifetime of use with old and some new machines. One leg 2x10 feet will be clay beds and the portable track and excavators to remove and process it. A big bridge between county and city and a 2x10 feet scene of river crossing and city scene of the brick manufacture with raw clay going in and finished bricks coming out. There will be city tracks in the cobble stone street, and plenty of brick buildings.
I just have to figure out the RC power so I can keep making track and turnouts.
more to come
Gil 
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

Great photos, Kim -- thanks for sharing those!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Gil,

Take my advice, contact Bernard in Australia , for your RC needs, he will sort you out with chassis, neat little motors and great RC gear.

I tried sorting it out myself and learned the hard way  that it was a real pain to get all the separate bits and the costs savings between me doing it and figuring it all out and getting Bernard to supply a ready to run package really was neglible!

Usual disclaimer, no connection just a satisfied customer.
Gordon

1-32

hi all.
ground throws,i like the german,french and all the other varieties around the world.they can be fiddle to get them working i usually end up designing my own.bernard used to have a etch in 1-35 scale of a european variety that could be made to work,i have 4 more photoes that could be of use in one photo there is 2 examples of ground throws,same place.
kind regards kim.

Mr Potato Head

thanks Kim and Gordon
I have a few ideas I am working on for ground throws, this new one is very close to prototypical
I was just looking at Bernard's Website last night.
I am not worried about RC, it's moving at revolutionary pace! It will be what I want soon.
thanks for the pictures, they help a lot!
Now about him building me a Decauville Loco, now that's another story, I am afraid to ask how much they cost?
More soon
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on July 06, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
thanks Kim and Gordon
I have a few ideas I am working on for ground throws, this new one is very close to prototypical
I was just looking at Bernard's Website last night.
I am not worried about RC, it's moving at revolutionary pace! It will be what I want soon.
thanks for the pictures, they help a lot!
Now about him building me a Decauville Loco, now that's another story, I am afraid to ask how much they cost?
More soon
Gil

Decauville ?  Get to the back of a very long queue ! And they will be more than you would want to afford .

shropshire lad

Here are a couple of turnouts Bernard built for me . The first is the old design intended for old fashioned people who still power their rails .

shropshire lad

The second is for hip and happening people ( like me ) who don't want all the faff of powering their turnouts in the traditional way . These are just operated with a 1.5v battery .

That means any layout I might build only needs power for lighting . Much simpler for me to get my head around .

Nick

Design-HSB

Hi Gil,

Thanks for the suggestion.
Since I have made ​​but also immediately got to work and started the construction of a piece of light railway track in 1:22.5.
A 5 m 600-mm field of railway track sleepers with grooves and S10 track profile it should be.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal