• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My new 1/32 layout

Started by Mr Potato Head, May 30, 2013, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Yes It's 1/32! shocking, no it just makes Marc mad LOL
I have struggled with a scale and gauge for a long time, and after a lot of thought and work installing and ripping out my On30 track I had laid; I am now ready to begin my layout! It's Modular and each section is 2' x 5' and sectional in its track work. It currently is not intended to mate with any other layout, it's just modular in case I ever move or want to show it at an event. I do belong to my local NMRA chapter, but as far as they are concerned I am the man from the moon. I can confidently say that there are no 3/8" modelers within 1000 miles of me!
The five sections are assembled and standing in a room 13' x 14' forming a "U" shape and  point to point track work with a brick manufacturing theme intended. One end will be the factory and the other the clay collection site and in between a great big bridge. My thought is that each scene will stand on its own and other modules can be inserted into them some day when I get more room.
I will post the bench work pictures next, but here is a sample of my track work" its 1/32 n 2' 3/4" gauge and its code 70 rail on PC board ties. I found a catalog for a rail manufacture and they offered flat steel sleepers with rail braces that look almost like the  San Juan Car Co. "O" scale detail parts and FHMW Fish plates, this is my attempt to model portable track. I made a simple jig to center the rail and hold the ties in place while I soldered them, there is a .020 spacer under the ¾" x 1/8" flat piece of aluminum so the rail stays in gauge and then I applied the styrene pieces, next is paint and then installation. There is one small detail not clearly visible; there will be no electrical conductivity! Look Ma no wires!  Its planned to be a dead rail layout.
More to come and also Marc get off my back I posted something
MPH

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mr Potato Head

All the pictures didn't make it  ???
here they are
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mr Potato Head

One more picture
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

Nice to see something new Gil!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

As I was enjoying On30 and making plans and starting projects, I decided I wanted something different, more detail, using real bricks, thanks Nick and better details thanks Marc and Ken and everyone else here, oh you too Chuck
So lets see how much trouble I can get into. I just got my new Ruston the other day so I have motive power. I like having to scratch build everything or knowing that there are a lot of 1/35 or 1/32 parts and bitts around
thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

Congratulations!
And welcome to the forum!  ;)
What you have sounds great.
Looking forward to more.
Marty

marc_reusser

Christ!....I nearly had a coronary! you actually posed something!.....and you decided on a gauge! Armageddon must be in the wings.  ;D ;D ;D

I am truly sppechless at the moment......must....get...drink, so I can fully come to terms with all this.

For now.....fantastic!. Great to see you posting your work.

Marc...dazed and confused.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Wow :o :o :o :o
I accomplished two things today ;D
One I made you drink  ;D
and the other:I made you fall off your chair before you got drunk ::) ::)
Woo Hoo
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

danpickard

Ha!

Nice work Gil...with both the layout plans, and Marc's sore butt  ;)
The concept sounds cool, and the portable track looks to be a good start.  You know you could have done "real bricks" in 1/48 as well, but can appreciate the fun you'll have in 1/32.  Will be looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

Gil, I thought you were the only one on the forum who builds less than I do. I am very disappointed because now I'm back at the end of the line .... -- Russ

Younger

Let's see a shot of the modules, Gil. Are they like the ones we started back before the beginning of time? (I have a picture of Marc working on one)
-Younger
-Younger

Malachi Constant

This should be a cool project!  Do you have any reference photos for the style of track work?  The plates securing the rail look odd to me ... but quite likely cuz I dunno what I'm looking at ...  ???  Cheers, Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

here is what I have been up to.
I took a drawing of a turn out from Roy Links book and blew it up to be 3/4" gauge and I attempted to make a turnout freehand with just the diagram to guide me, it worked but I still have to make the points, it seamed to sharp of a radius. I then took another drawing and from it I had a friend CNC out a simple template ale Fast tracks, its' made of MDF. It came out great! I just have to decide what to use as the throwbar, What you see is two turnouts and one short length of track about 18 scale feet, the dump car is sitting on a 36" length of track with soldered PC ties, it is not flexible track, the rail is code 70 and the PC ties about .060 or just under 2 scale inches thick. Yes they are all soldered together with no electrical gaps, I plan to run Dead rail.
So far I am pleased, My goal is to have about 30 lineal feet of track and four turnouts installed by the end of summer.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Both turnouts are nicely done....but I really like the character and look of the short one.....very much evocative of these types of operation.

Nice jugs too.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

The template looks GREAT!
The turnouts turned out equally as great!
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the 3/4"  ;D ;D
It's good to have friends!
Would he consider making a template in 3/4" scale?................................
-Marty