• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ICM 1:48 P51-D Mustang as Swedish Air Force J 26

Started by Sailor, May 27, 2013, 04:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Hi all,

Here are my latest build, a P51-D Mustang in Swedish colors.
Swedish air force bought the Mustang in 1944 and gave it the designation J26. In total Sweden had 161 Mustangs. I have modelled Red Filip from F16 (red is the color of the first division and my sons name is Filip) as it looked around 1948, F16 was the first air wing that received the Mustang.

Pelle

Sailor

The kit is made of ICM in 1:48 scale and I have used resin parts from quickboost, Barracuda cast and Ultra cast, photo etch from eduard, vac formed canopy from Rob Taurus. decals from RBD-studio and a lot of scratch built parts of brass-, lead- and copper wire, aluminium sheet and different tubing, e.g. the canons that are made of copper tube.
Pelle

Sailor

The plane is painted with Alclad II Polished aluminium, stainless steel, chrome, aluminium and magnesium. Other colours are vallejo model air.
The pilot is a modified US Navy pilot painted with vallejo model air.

Feel free to comment!

Pelle
Pelle

marc_reusser

Very cool. Till I read the scale in your post, I thought it was 1/32. Very unique piece, and interesting information. I was not aware that the Swedish AF used these. Nice work with all the additional detailing and scratch. A bit iffy on the clean-ness of some of the edges....like the bottom of the canopy, and where the silver meets the interior cockpit color; but I like the subtle amount of chips and weathering you got on the black portion the cowling...also like the variation of panel/controll surface shades.

Thanks for posting
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Sailor

Thanks for you comments.

Well, I'm aware about the iffiness, I got a bit too eager to get started with the painting and I didn't really noticed the bad edge on the canopy until I saw my own pictures... The vac formed canopy is hard to work with, soft but yet hard to sand, and I don't know how many times I have reworked it.

You are a bit lucky though, you don't have to see the high resolution pictures...  ;D
Pelle

finescalerr

Fortunately the imperfections are minor. The closer the camera came to the model, the more I could appreciate your craftsmanship. I hope you will use this project as a springboard to create an even better one. -- Russ

Sailor

Thanks Russ.

Actually, this is my first airplane I have built since I was a young boy (you know, when you built an airplane in an hour, set fire on it and threw it from the balcony).

I'm a bit ambivalent over my work, I'm quite proud of the detailing of the cockpit and scratch built pipework in the wheel wells, but some of the painting and the lack of patience in the groundwork is a bit annoying. And you know what is most obvious...

But, I've learned a lot and  my next plane lies on my workbench already.

Pelle
Pelle

marc_reusser

Ah burning airplne memories. ;D

To me someone simply building an airplane...let alone giving super detailing a go, is inspiring. I probably built a hundred airplanes when I was young, but I don't think there is any way I would dare to tackle one these days....the effort, skill, attention to detail...and trying to hide the seams, correct rivets, etc, is just beyond me.

The groundwork issue is something where I see a lot of aircraft modelers struggle, as it is not something that they regularly/typically have to deal with/address (unlike those that model erthbound subjects).....so it takes a lot of will work, and interest on their part to get it right. Keep at it, I personally think it can really enhnce the model, and give a sense of scale.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Nice! I didn't know they made aircraft kits in 1/48th.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World