• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

ruston&hornsby 1-32 n 20

Started by 1-32, May 15, 2013, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

No I am a purest! My mentor would cut me off too ::)
Back to the drawing board
thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

1-32

hi all
my poor ruston hornby what a hard life it has had.
it is getting to that finished stage and  as the mood takes me i will add more detail[over time].here are some pictures of a near finished paint job.
kind regards kim

[imghttp://images58.fotki.com/v510/photos/3/1816483/12025695/DSCF1783-vi.jpg]http://[/img].

finescalerr

It's getting there and looks good so far. Although I couldn't do as well and have no specific suggestions, the finish seems to need a little something else. Not much ... but something. With this model you've really shown a wide range of skill. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Thanks, Russ, for your introduction. This is what I feel, too.

Kim, I've got two suggestions: Reduce the metallic shiny edges at the buffer. Instead, add rust stains and a blackish and very small metallic shiny area where the buffers of the wagons actually meet the loco's buffer. I really miss the rust tone of the pin and chain at the buffer surface. The same with the wheelsets, which should be rusty or dirtened with oil and dust on their sides.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

hey russ and volker.
good call after seeing the pictures i also felt that it needed something but could not put my finger on it-being too close to a item sometimes glazes your insight.
the process that i have been using is new to me and are still feeling my way.what we are talking about is the personality of a item the final touches,hard, too much and it ruins it, too little and it looks like a wimp.i will see where all this  leads the little ruston hornby in 1-32 scale
kind regards kim

michael mott

Quotethe finish seems to need a little something else.

Put it on some track.

Any track rather than the Slaters box!

I think the model really need some context that would help to anchor you skill with the finishes.

Michael

Malachi Constant

Well, it may need "something" ... though probably not much ... the lighting in the photo seems a bit flat and that might be the real culprit there.  The loco is looking quite good!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

1-32

good morning michel and dallas
thanks for the input.i appreciate constructive thoughts.like most of the members of this forum we have been getting positive comments for years-great i love them.but on the other hand if members see things in a different light i also love them.michel i never thought of the box prop next photo i will try a bit of track.dallas the lighting i use is  my workbench light which is a daylight fluro it gives a general spread no shadows.items that are inhanced by lighting tend to pick up shadows
kind regards kim

1-32

hi all
wet cold winters day here in sydney just right for a bit of modelling.
have been fiddling around with the colours of my ruston to give it a bit more 3 d qualities.

i might give it a rest for now i am dying to start a new idear,what do i feel about the kit?
great body pity about the running gear,lovely slow motion but a very old fashion build method.it will always require attention.maybe if they simplified it they would attract more people to the kit.
kind regards kim

danpickard

Hi Kim,
Good improvement to the colour depth with the latest round of pics.  Still seems to be missing a few last layers of age, mainly a bit of dust and dirt I think.  Needs some collection along the joins or something.  The silver radiator top (?) catches my attention a bit as well, and might need some washing over the top to pull it back in connection to the rest of the locos wear.  Thinking some of the scrapes along the side frames need to rust streaking as well.  Certainly been enjoying the build up thus far.

What's the next mission?

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

The two photos of your model on the box near the top of the page have disappeared. That usually happens when the image is a link rather than an upload. What happened? -- Russ

1-32

hi russ and dan
the photoes um.all i can think is that i have deleted those photoes from my flicker account how they got deleted too from the forum russ i do not know?
dan i totally agree with your comments but looking at the photoes now i think it is getting to fussy and needs to be put away for a while.there is a area in frount of the radiator if i knew what it is it would be a bit easier to paint.as is it is just a extension of the frame.
i am going to re build the blue top salvage just the right hand side.i have been collecting idears and look forward to a project that will take many rain in sundays.
kind regards kim

narrowgauger

Hi Kim

looking good, but still "missing something" as you say.

May I suggest that part of the problem is in the radiator area.  At this stage the entire radiator assembly is shown as a metal object, contrary to the prototype where the radiator assembly was painted the same way as the locomotive, with the cores left unpainted.  Therefore the "paintwork" would also be subject to all the chipping & deterioration as the rest of the loco, whilst the "radiator" portions would show ingress of dirt, leaks & staining.  Similarly the area around the radiator filler head would show staining from overflow etc.

in the meantime keep up the good work and let us have an update on the modules.

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

1-32

hey bernard
it is a case of good referance.i am glad that you agree that the slater mechanism is crap
kind regards kim

1-32

hi all
the last couple of weeks i have begin to build the new world that the ruston hornby will be part of.here a couple of update shots
kind regards kim.