• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ten Fordson Machines

Started by Scratchman, February 20, 2013, 08:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

(Fordson Model # 10) Fordson equipped with a Belle City Mfg. Co. track unit. When I can find the time  I will list some of the basic measurements.

For more photos of this Fordson you can go to my Flickr Page.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Scratchman

Belle City Mfg. Co. Fordson power plant.

Here's some rough measurements

1... Wheel base from axle to axle...3'-10".
2... From center of track to center of track...4'-0".
3... Front wheel... 30" diameter.
4... Small idler wheel...8" diameter.
5... Drive wheel...32" diameter.
6... Drive wheel tooth...34" diameter.
7... Pads... 6"x10".
8... Frame width 10"    

Besides the contacts for the teeth on the drive wheel each wheel has a diferent place they make contact with the track.

Here"s a photo of my working drawings.

Gordon Birrell

There are more photos at my flickr page.

nalmeida

The drawings by themselves look amazing already, nice progress with the styrene.

lab-dad

Will those plans be offered as a "digital download"? ;)
I would gladly do some mercenary* work for copies of your Fordson plans all in one place!
-Mj

* politically correct way of saying "I'd kill for them".

Chuck Doan

You should frame your plans to display with the models.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

Here's two photos of my progress on  the Belle City Mfg. Co. Fordson tractor .

Gordon Birrell

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Your usual satisfactory work. -- Russ

JohnTolcher

A great subject, beautifully captured!
Cheers
John in Australia

Stoker

Wow! I am a bit overloaded with how great these look.

;D
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Stoker

Hate to double post, but I saw another great shot of Fordsons on Shorpy today. I count at least 15 of them in this picture. They all seem to be stock of a few different varieties, but I thought it interesting enough to merit mention. Also seen is a nice new trailer that appears to have a spreader (or perhaps a dump, but I can't see an actual pivot point) of some sort on it. Click here to check out a Flock of Fordsons.  If you click on the picture after going to that link it will take you to the comments on that picture.

P.S: Check out the writing on some of the wheels. These were from a variety of dealers in the D.C. area that later plowed this entire field. I wonder of these are signatures from each "team" ?

Edit to add: Shorpy is "on a roll"  :D with Fordson pictures. I won't clog this thread with another post, but click here to see one of the tractors in the above linked picture in action plowing the field. Driven by a "Golden Eagle Girl Scout who received her decoration from the Queen of Belgium" no less!
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

5thwheel

A bit of trivia about Fordson and Ford tractors.  They have a reputation of flipping  back over on the driver when in a non giving pull, like pulling a stump or digging a plow too deep in the earth.  Just a couple days ago a local woman was killed on a Ford tractor when she was trying to pull a stump, it flipped over on her. When in high school in the forties, in the summer, I would rent the Ford tractor from the high school Ag class and plow or mow small plots around the area.  I was plowing and hit a rock bringing the tractor to a sudden stop and the front end started to raise up. I couldn't get it out of gear and even the clutch wouldn't disengage. Was really a scary episode. I killed the engine with the switch. The tractor stopped with the front wheels about two feet off the ground.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Chuck Doan

Henry eventually added fenders to prevent the Fordson from rearing up, but they always remained optional. There was also a kill switch in the coil wire that was sold by one company. Would stop the current if it was tipped too far. 

mabloodhound

$653.20 for a Fordson.   How many do you want?
Nice Shorpy photos.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower