• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1957 Daihatsu "Midget"

Started by marc_reusser, January 02, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

As a bright start to 2013, we will call this one done, and ready for paint.

Kit is from Arii Models, 1/32 scale. Castings are older and simple molds....so a good bit of rework and detailing was needed.

Sub assemblies in photo just loosely assembled. A few small bits not attached/shown in photo.

Here is a pic of the kit parts/sprue.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

Really lovely and cute. Hope it'll not finish with a Dshk on the rear bed! :)
Beautiful work on all the styrene added details.
Could you post a pictures with something from real world, or giving the cm size? it must be really small.

Tires look a bit low on detail compared to the rest of the build.

A.
:)

Andi Little

Pretty funky ... darn cute though. Liking the additional work and I'm sure that alone will go some way to raising the bar in the "believability" stakes - that is until you work your paint magic: which should take it all the way!

But, please finish this as I'm completely frustrated by getting all excited over your projects and then they seem to slip into ether!!! Worse than Gordon the slippery rascal.

"Grins".
KBO..................... Andi.

voyager

Oo ooh "pot/kettle/black" Mr Little! ;D

Beautiful work Marc, strange that the kit doesn't include the dash and footboards or are there different variants? Really looking forward to the painting!
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

finescalerr

And now comes the good part .... -- Russ

chester

Very cute, your additional detail deserves a proper Reusser finish, am anxious to see it completed as everyone else.

Gordon Ferguson

Well it looks as if you are under no pressure here Marc  .............. I to look forward to both painting and completion  ;)

and as for you Andi  :P
Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys. Yes, this one will be completed...hopefully by the end of the month, as it is one of my contract projects.

Gordon: Don't you have some reading you should be doing?  :P ;D

Andi: Because of this being an old kit, the detail that was there varied between overscale, and "blobby"...and much of it was non-existant, or vague at best. I like to have enough detail, and visually scaled to make the vehicle look believeble in the viewers eye, and because of the focus of this project (an SBS on rusting), I needed to add the areas, bits that exist in the real thing, where rust, dirt and grime would accumulate and start.

Andrew: It does have footboards and dash face in the kit, the problem is that the kit footboards are .045 thick, and way overscaled, and they lack the ridge detail on the top surface. The kit dash face lacks all the detailing, and it does not go all the way side-to-side as the real one does. Due to timeframe, and focus of the project, I still made some concessions on both of these in my modifications...but they are far closer than the kit versions were. :) Mani of the parts also had serious draft angles or seam alignment issues (such as the lower bed protion behind the cab)....so it was just easier to scratch it than try to work with the kit parts.

Alexandre: Yes this is a very small vehicle. Below are some photos from the web. The tires are a real problem on the kit. They do have tread detail as cast...but the quality and uneveness us very bad, as are the sprue gate marks and flash...and they are too wide for the rims. Add to that the really odd rubber used. I decided to basically sand them down and make them "bald". The front tire in the photo is too extreme and flat....I will use a different one for the final.

This is the direction that the paint finish will take:

M-Works

marc_reusser

Some quick rust experimenting on a test piece, while the primer cures.

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Looks like you have some tasty references to go by.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Juke Joint

A set of bridgestones and you'll be taking that double with a heel clicker.  ;D

marc_reusser

Base Color

M-Works

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Chuck,

Yes, it is a mix of Tamiya XF-10 (Flat Brown), XF-1 (Flat Black) and some XF-3 (Flat Yellow), applied over a primer coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000 (spray can).

M-Works

marc_reusser

Varied rust tone undercoats using mixed colors from AK Rust Colors set.

M-Works