• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My big A$$ Machine shop (1/16th)

Started by lab-dad, November 12, 2012, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

And so it begins "officially"
I figured that was a fairly accurate name.
No real name yet.

So what started as a brick mold of 36 individual bricks from diorama debris.
Ultimately lead to some "masters" of wall sections.
I was thinking of doing the whole thing out of individual bricks but after calculating over 5,000 bricks on just the back wall and only one side of it; I reconsidered. (insert quip here from Nick what a whimp i am!)

One of the masters;

Then of course my Hannibal Lector vacuum box;

Some bubbly silicone!
And damn I poured it like your supposed to but look at the bubbles - I was really scared at this point! :o

But after 45 minutes under 22 inches of vacuum
The initial creaks from the box reminded me of submerging in a sub! No more bubbles!

One of the molds after about 15 castings;

And finally the wall, sort of..........

The wall castings are just laying on the eventual backing.
In the bottom of the image is a yard stick.
The wall is 37.5" long or 50' in 1/16th and 12" high or 16' in scale. 20 separate castings in all.
Windows will be produced by Vectorcut (hurricane Sandy kinda screwed us up there)
After several discussions with Nick I have decided on (cast) "stone" lintels and  wooden sills.
You can see the recess for the left most window lintel in the pic.
The spaces between the castings will allow me to "weave" in individual bricks to (hopefully) make the wall seamless.

-Marty

Malachi Constant

Oh crap!  Look at that tiny yardstick.  BIG A$$ machine shop underway.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Wesleybeks

Looking forward to this Marty. Its going to be a beast of a model when done.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

finescalerr

Gordon Ferguson

Marty , looks the business ....... although I don't envy you either trying to move the completed masterpiece or trying to find storage room it  ;)

(p.s. still chasing re your request)

Quote from: finescalerr on November 13, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
Why Flemish bond? -- Russ

Please Russ , don't tease the animal most of us are still in recuperation from his last diatribe on brick bonds  ;D
Gordon

danpickard

Marty,
Are you going to use the wall castings to build on an extension on the house to put the actual model in?  ;D

Cool start...unfortunatley I reckon this is going to be one of those models that will have to be seen in the flesh to appreciate how damn big it is.

Cheers,
Dan

TRAINS1941

-MJ

All I can say is ;D

All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Russ
Flemish Bond because somewhere in this mutt (me) there is some Flemish.
And my mentor wouldn't let me do a running bond! >:(
And English is too busy for a proper shop  ;)

It's not really that big, the diorama base (of just the machine shop) will only be 42" x 22"
While big, it is not much bigger than some O scale dioramas.
But it will be heavy! There will be almost a whole bag (20 Lbs.) of plaster in it when done.
I still dont have a real good idea on a permanent location but saw a cool coffee table/diorama???

Anyone got an interesting personnel door that would be appropriate for this shop?
I have been looking at flikr & image searches but have not seen anything "interesting"
May be I am looking too hard?
All I really find is the usual 4 panel or four lite door.
I'm thinking the 4 lite would be practical for the obvious reasons.

Thanks guys!
-Marty

Lawton Maner

What about one of those steel clad security doors made from riveted plates and featured in to many cop and robber shows?

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on November 13, 2012, 12:42:46 AM
Why Flemish bond? -- Russ

Why not ?

Because there isn't an American bond . Gawd knows what that would look like .

Stretcher bond , or running bond if you must , implies to me either the wall is only 4.5" thick or that it has two skins of masonry with a cavity between them . Either option is not likely to me .

Nick

finescalerr

I thought American bond was six courses of end-to-end bricks followed by one course with the short end facing out. (And English bond is a row of one, then a row of the other, alternating.) No doubt you will educate me if I am wrong (and that is quite likely). -- Russ

eTraxx

Looking at bricks

5th row ..

Common Bond or American Bond or English Garden Wall:
A pattern made like Running Bond but with a row of headers replacing every nth course (n is usually odd).  The headers are centered on the headers in the row of headers below.  Strong.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

shropshire lad

Oh , so there is an American Bond . But it's really English garden wall bond , and that is what  I shall continue to call it .

So at the end of the day , the important thing is that there are headers laid in a regular pattern in  the brickwork somewhere giving the implication that the wall is at least 9" scale thick .

Nick

Chuck Doan

Well, for years we have been taking clever British TV shows and re-making them in the US while pretending we thought it up. So why not a brick pattern as well?

Search the tag "fire door" on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pictobox/7112842245/
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Thanks chuck!
At least someone read my post about a door!
Marty