• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on February 29, 2020, 06:19:51 AM
Volker, It's great to see this all in one piece for the first time (at least the first time I've seen it altogether).
It's terrific!

Bill,
it was kind of thrilling to join both parts, because due to available space I wasn't able to have them rigged up at same time for working at it. Only the blending was done in one day with both parts assembled.

Quote from: finescalerr on February 29, 2020, 11:53:33 AM
Modeling doesn't get any better than that. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Russ,
come on. Ask Chuck  :D.

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 29, 2020, 09:17:08 PM
Such wonderful work! What kind of tank car is that?

Ray,
thank you. It is a gauge 2 car by Magnus/Höhne. The company doesn't exist anymore. Quality / detailing corresponds with LGB standard. It doesn't really fit the engines' or Rollwagens' standard. My friend Uwe took the car to the exhibition to take some pictures.

Quote from: Lawton Maner on February 29, 2020, 02:23:12 PM
Can you please share a picture of the tree roots at the top of the shale in the last photo? My error.  It should be the first photo that has the tree roots.

Lawton,
I had to wait until today to take some better pictures. There's some sawdust and more fine roots to come, but here we go.

Quote from: Bernhard on March 01, 2020, 07:34:38 AM
I love your design office. It's kind of like what we had in our teaching department. I worked on a drawing board like this for several years (Kuhlmann, I suppose?).
Bernhard

Bernhard,
thanks, and yes, it is a Kuhlmann easel. There's a lot of info about how I made it from here on: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1983.msg52977#msg52977

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I have rarely or never seen scenery modeled to that level of excellence. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Thanks for the photos. 
Fantastic work.
If I enlarge the photos will I see the worms digging through the soil?

Ray Dunakin

That overhanging layer of soil, rocks, and roots is incredibly realistic!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Volker, looking at the Kuhlmann easel brings back old memories. And the the cliff edge is really of the finest.

Hydrostat

Quote from: Lawton Maner on March 08, 2020, 03:54:56 PM
Thanks for the photos. 
Fantastic work.
If I enlarge the photos will I see the worms digging through the soil?

The worms are usually inside the soil. They tend to come out if it rains. But it never rains in California.

Some more stuff:

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Bernhard

The grille and the cemented posts of the railing are absolute tops.

Ray Dunakin

There is so much to love about this diorama! Even the smallest details of the scenery are perfect!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

The last weeks provided some extra time for the Wiesenthal stop. This is a plan of the Oestertal line's terminus and the Brockhaus & Söhne factory.

(Slg. Wolf Dietrich Groote)

Would it be possible to model that stop to scale? It would, according to some rather big segments of 140 x 62 cm.

There are only few pictures of that area available and most of them are published in this book. This picture isn't in the book, but shows the landscape / environment very well.

Triebwagen T1 und Personenwagen Nr. 7 in Wiesental. Foto: E. J. Wolff 1952, Slg. Wolf Dietrich Groote)

Both turnouts were made as described before in A snapshot in time.

Blades are filed and sanded to scale.

A brass screw brazed to the blade serves as joint.

The blades' lateral rails need to be undercut to provide space for the blades' rail feet.

One turnout is located on the segments' edge. Sockets and brass rods provide exact positioning whenever the segments are mounted.

A very simple drawing with the track axis ant rail foot contour taped to a plywood board serves as jig.

The frog is my first attempt in laser sintering steel.

After some sanding the part was perfect for its purpose.

This is the mechanism to switch the turnout. The lever protrudes underneath and operates a switch for frog polarisation.

After completing trackwork landscaping begins. This is the transition to the former part.

I wanted to use some packaging styrofoam, which usually ends up as rubbish, but I always hated the small pellets sticking on everywhere. And i like the idea to use materials which would have been dumped otherwise.

An electrical styrofoam cutter helped to solve the pellet problem. It was so simple to build it that I'd like to show it; I think it is self explaining  :D. Only thing I had tu buy was some 0.2 mm NiCr wire. Using a 6V power supply was perfect for cutting 6cm thick material.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Bill Gill

That is an impressive start to the new section.
I like your foam cutting tool.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Volker.
Very impressive there is so much in this section that it is going to take me a while to follow it all lovely work
cheers

Bernhard