• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Thanks a lot, guys.

Obviously it's time for a cliffhanger placement: My advisory former Kuhlmann engineer told me about some flaws in the drawing office's execution which I'm going to fix to have a model at least close to museum quality. I'll keep you updated as soon as there's something to show.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

Very interesting enjoyed every bit of it - lovely stuff
Barney

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on May 08, 2016, 02:00:39 AM
Thanks a lot, guys.

Obviously it's time for a cliffhanger placement: My advisory former Kuhlmann engineer told me about some flaws in the drawing office's execution which I'm going to fix to have a model at least close to museum quality. I'll keep you updated as soon as there's something to show.

Cheers,
Volker

Just returning from a visit to the Lyon Museum of Cinema and Miniatures I can assure you that your work is definitively of museum quality. That drawing office would fit right in the museum. During my visit at the museum I was actually thinking that you should contact them, I would think that they would love to display your work.

Look forward to see what the flaws are, it is hard to imagine that the drawing office could be improved in any way!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hydrostat

Hauk,

please excuse my late reply. I had some surgery a few weeks ago and wasn't able to work at the model. Main point is alignment of the drafting tables. They have to be turned about 180° because the way they're installed at the present time light from the windows would create shadows of the drawer's right arm at the drawings. So natural light source always had to be left hand from drawers view. This has to be done at the model.

The other, more difficult point is that my consulting former Kuhlmann engineer, Mr. Wackerfuss, told me of special desks for larger offices, which could be aligned right behind the next drafting table. They had clearance for the neighbour's drafting table's weight, some drawers and a larger shelf for the biggest drawings. I made a cad drawing according to some measurements I got from him, but there's no picture available at all. I'm a bit hesitant to model those because in my estimation their design looks rather like late 1960s or even 1070s, which doesn't match my 1950s era - but I'm not sure about it. Maybe some of you guys might add some information to that? That's what they seem to have looked like:

According to Mr. Wackerfuss there were more "professional" tables like the simple wooden ones I used and the drawers all had swivel chairs. But: When I researched the web for pictures of drawing offices from this era I often found rooms which were rather moneysaving equipped like the one I made: With simple wooden tables and chairs. Making this a perfect 'Kuhlmann show room' would mean to replace all furniture, and I'm not to sure, if it would really add to the model. If there are some opinions about it I'd be pleased to discuss them.

Cheers,
Volker

Hydrostat

Hi,

earlier this year some interested people at German Buntbahn forum asked me to make a 1-22.5 scale brass version of the Kuhlmann drawing table. From this campaign remained five complete sets, containing unwrought brass castings, brass and steel wires, brass nuts and rivets, 3D printed and milled plastic and pertinax parts. I don't want to call it 'kit' because it's for sure not suited for unexperienced modelers. To get an idea of what there's to be expected please have a look at the 'construction manual' here: http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=12579. It's in German, but I'd be happy to translate it to English if needed. The gross price for one set is 155,- € excluding shipment. If there's anyone interested please contact me via the forum. First come, first served.

Cheers,
Volker

Hydrostat

I chickened out of this for a long time. Now there's some work on the desk. Or is it 'at the desks'?

Cheers,
Volker

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

1-32

Lawton Maner

Rather then turn the equipment around, simply tell people that yours is a specialty design firm that only hires left handed draftsmen.  As far as I am concerned, the tables were ok, but the drafting machines needed to be placed on the other end of the board.  Being a "lefty" myself, light over the right shoulder is the natural way to do things. 

When are you going to add the 2 most important items in the department; the water fountain and the coffee pot? 

Hydrostat

Quote from: Lawton Maner on October 13, 2017, 11:17:28 AM
     Rather then turn the equipment around, simply tell people that yours is a specialty design firm that only hires left handed draftsmen.  As far as I am concerned, the tables were ok, but the drafting machines needed to be placed on the other end of the board.  Being a "lefty" myself, light over the right shoulder is the natural way to do things. 

When are you going to add the 2 most important items in the department; the water fountain and the coffee pot? 

They have that 'clean desk' principle out there. No coffee pots allowed. ;D
When I had the opportunity to lasercut all the windows' parts for the other project there was some sheet area available which I didn't want to have unused. I wanted to have the desks as simply manufactured as possible, but didn't want to omit any detail. The drawer handles are 3D-printed. All other parts are lasered from 1 and 0.5 mm cardboard, the steel frame and legs from 1.5 mm MDF. Drawer layers have square cutouts to house the handles and to ease mounting and aligning. I used aluminum angle section and blocks for rectangular results. After glueing all parts to the first desk I realized that first coloring wooden and metal part before glueing makes things much easier.

For sure using square brass rod would lead to a more even surface, but as said before I wanted to keep it simply.

Cheers,
Volker

Sami

Hydrostat

Boxes are glued with Elmer's Glue, drawer parts with very thin CA. Edges and low sides of the upper desk part were sanded rectangular afterwards.

I'm going to color them the same way as tables in the drawing office were done (scroll down a few posts).

Cheers,
Volker

Stoker

IKEA may sue over this obvious copy of their knockdown furniture.   :D
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Hydrostat

Quote from: Stoker on October 21, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
IKEA may sue over this obvious copy of their knockdown furniture.   :D

You may be right (the desk's name is 'Snuskpelle'). I preferred to camouflage it rudimentarily, arranged it in an unexpected manner and renamed it to 'Sergeant Hightower'.

Cheers,
Volker