• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Want to work in styrene.

Started by 5thwheel, November 05, 2012, 06:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

Hi All,

Many years ago I measured a couple of sets of logging High Wheels.  I have built a 1/8th scale model of one from my field drawings.  I have also designed and produced O scale kits of High Wheels. Now I have been asked to produce plans of the Wheels.
I feel the best way to develop scale drawings from rough field drawings is to build as I develop the drawings.  I am thinking of building in styrene in 1:16.  I have spent hours browsing the forum for basics in styrene with out much success. Where do you styrene people suggest I start? Where does one find materials, nuts bolts etc.

Thanks Bill Hudson
So it isn't redundant you can contact me by e-mail.

bhudson9216@msn.com
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

There are two companies that produce styrene for modelers: Evergreen Scale Models, and Plastruct. I use Evergreen most of the time because they have finer quality shapes. They also have speciality sidings such as car siding, V-groove, etc. And they have sheet styrene in sizes up to 12" x 24".

Plastruct has a few items that you can't get from Evergreen, such as domes and ladders. They are mainly geared towards architectural and industrial models. When I need something from them I order it direct from their website.

Evergreen does not sell direct, at least not online. I think you can call them to order. However, I just order from one of the various online hobby suppliers, as well as the local hobby shop. Bear in mind that many hobby shops do not carry the full line of Evergreen materials. I usually order from HobbyLinc  or Caboose Hobbies:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/Evergreen_Model_Railroad_Scratch_Supplies

http://www.caboosehobbies.com

A solvent is usually the best type of cement for working with styrene. I started out using Plastruct's "Plastic Weld", but now I use MEK which I buy in cans from the hardware store. I put the MEK in the former Plastic Weld bottle so I can use the built in applicator brush.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

I also use Evergreen or Plastruct. I agree with Ray that the evergreen sstrip and rod sizes are generally better than the Plastruct.....however, if you look through the plastruct catalog, they have a boatload of shapes and sizes, not available from Evergreen.

I also use sections/pieces of PVC and ABS piping from the home handy stores. And often some good pieces can be scrounged from toys, and items around the house....you just need to think out of the box. (I recently made a bomb body by reshaping a Matchbox cement mixer barrel/drum).

Small detail parts and NBWs are available from Grandt, Tichy, and other companies that service the armor modelers. You can also incorporate parts that are resin or laser cut. My personal favorite for a lot of small circular bits is making them using the Waldron and Micro Mark punch and die sets (Waldron also has a Hex set)

Solvent are also important. I prefer the two solvents fromm plastruct...depends what type of plastic I am gluing, and I like the Tamiya for gluing thin (.005) material because it is less agressive, and wont warp or dissolve that thin of a sheet so easily. I use varied paint brushes for the applicators.

I do though really have a question as to why you are building this in styrene for your drawings. I guess if it were me, I would build the model in a 3D program....Sketchup would be my choice for something like this because it is simple to use, and the shapes/pieces you are building/modeling are pretty basic. Building the model in 3D is pretty much exactly like doing it in styrene, except, you can draw the exact size/piece needed,....corrections, modifications and repetetive shapes are a breeze (just copy and paste)....and when the whole thing is done, you can export it as various 2D plan/elevation views...at whatever scale you want them (as long as you draw the 3D model at full size, as one always should).
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Hi Bill!
I order directly from Plastruct, on line and very easy.
Downloaded the catalog click & order!
I use PVC cleaner (which is basically MEK) that I buy at Home Depot.

Russ Simpson was a great source for large nuts & bolts. He is gone now  :(
Ozark miniatures has castings but they are rough.
Grandt line NBW's are too small in most cases for 1/16th

You can make your own from hex or square rod.
This is something I really need/want to try!

I too model in 1/16 so please if you need help ask!
Marty
lab_dad@yahoo.com

Chuck Doan

Evergreen also put out a book on working with styrene that may still be available.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

5thwheel

Well I guess I was a bit misleading when I said I am not familiar with plastics but it has been 30+ years since.  I guess there isn't much of any product change in that time. I used to do study models for saw mills and plywood mills in plastic.  Below are a couple of my models, Two of Georgia Pacific Redwood mill in Fort Bragg California and three of the Weyerhaeuser lumber mill that used to be in Springfield, Oregon.  I used to buy directly from Plastruct.

Russ I am a bit too old to learn 3D drafting now. I really don't have the time for the learning curve and I have a Mac. Health issues are possibly forcing me into a condo which means a loss of shop space.  There fore no table saws and larger equipment.  Most of the condos (that we can afford) around here do not have garages.

My mill models below. In 1/8"=1"0" scale. Built on a 4'x8'. base.
Click on pictures to enlarge.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

Are the styrene solvents (glue) compatible with PVC pipe?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

I have occasionally used MEK to glue styrene details to a PVC-foam board structure. In cases where I needed a stronger hold, I've used Weld-On #16, which is supposed to be for acrylic but also works well with styrene and pvc.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

I have used the Plastruct (white lable bottle) with no problems, gluing styrene to both ABS and Acrylic.

...forgot to mention previously, when I noted the ABS and PVC piping, that there is alo a decent  range of sizes available in acrylic tube and rod (a good plastics supply house will usually gut pieces to size for you...so if you need say slices from a tube to create the wheel body, they can do it for what is usually a minimal cost per cut(s) and while you wait...[at least the places I have used here in LA])

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works