• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

This is an incredibly well made and realistic model!

narrowgauger

Hi Peter

superb model in every respect.

for the cables may I suggest that you take a look at stainless steel "leader wire" used by recreational fishermen.  This material comes in a wide variety of thicknesses and number of strands all of which scale extremely well for a 1:35 model aerial ropeway cable, and most importantly actually looks like real wire rope (which it is).  Very flexible and comes in reels around 5 metres of wire.

Normally found in better fishing supply stores.  Also look on eBay under "fishing leader wire"

you can use various gun metal coatings (from the gun store) to create the "patina" on the stainless steel wire.

have fun & stay cool
Bernard S

Peter_T1958

Hi Bernard

Hmm, it seems that your proposal "leader wire" for fishing would to an appropriate result. However I have tried quite some wires, and the impression was always the same: It looks rather ridiculous with the wire ends leading into the nowhere.
So, more and more I sympathise with the idea of omitting the cables - even if I resist it myself :-\

Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/