• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: Bill Gill on October 20, 2019, 05:11:19 AM
The figures look good there. What material are they printed with? I had seen Modelu figures printed in a hard red wax used for making jewelry masters.

I believe the red material is not a pure wax, but a resin/wax mix. According to Modelu, they changed to the grey material because it gives crisper prints.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bill Gill

Hauk

Quote from: Bill Gill on October 20, 2019, 03:37:24 PM
Thanks, Hauk.

Your welcome!
If anyone is curios about Modelu´s services, take a look at their website and/or FaceBook page:
https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/[/url]
[url]https://www.facebook.com/modelu3d/[/img]

Would think there would be a market for a similar service in the US.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Similarly, one of us (maybe even I) could buy a laser cutter and crank out parts for our friends on the forum. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Where are their fishing rods?

Ray Dunakin

Wow, the figures really give a sense of the scale. The gears look huge!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Hi

I have started with the framing around the wooden base. One problem that has to be solved will be the loose ends of the Transmission Ropes. Here a sketch:

My idea is to fix them in a small strip of acrylic glass which is glued in millig grooves in the frame. They can bee seen here:

Hmm... I am not yet fully convinced, if this looks good at the end. Anyone who had such a problem once? Or another good idea ???

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Design-HSB

Hello Peter,

congratulations on this great diorama. What would you think of replacing the ropes.
Because the wheels don't turn and so the standstill would make sense.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Nick built a terrific cable car diorama (from individual bricks, no less!) and built movable towers, separate from the main diorama. When he displayed the diorama, he placed the pieces appropriately on a table and then connected the cables to the towers. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Peter, Would piano wire be stiff enough at the size you need to support itself for representing the transmission ropes? If so, perhaps some texture could be filed onto the wire to look like cable. One problem would be the potential for damage to the model if someone bumped into the wires, another could be a viewer getting poked in the eye while trying to take a close look at the model.

Another possibility that would avoid those problems would be to construct a clear acrylic cover for the entire display and secure the ends of the transmission lines into that side of the cover. EZ line is an elastic polymer fiber in several sizes and colors that could be secured in holes in the side of the case but the line would allow enough stretch to lift the cover off the display without breaking anything. http://berkshirejunction.com/subdirectory/ez-line/

Peter_T1958

Hello
As to the problem with the loose ends of the Transmission Ropes, no solution has been found yet. So the limited time for modelling was used to do the last missing main components for my diorama. Here some quick shots:
The cast wheel supports had some kind of upper extensions (one oft them even carried a lightning conductor). This would have been an easy task in 3d modelling, but I had to cast them in resin – a nightmare with such undercuts.

A smaller wheel led a thin transmission cable to a window of a small factory on the riverbank. Again I had to carve the gearwheel from styrene; Volker provided the wheel (thanks a lot!)

And last but not least I managed to paint (I love that stage!!!) the gangways. Unfortunately I have to wait until spring, when the weather allowes to do that on the balcony.
In consequence of the excessive us of cyanoacrylate glue I got an allergy. Only small quantities lead to runny nose. Gents, please be careful with that stuff!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. (Except your allergy to CA.) -- Russ

Bill Gill

Peter, it's good to see your progres (which contiues to be wonderful work).

I too am sorry to hear you developed an allergy to CA! Pleas post what you are using now.

Bernhard

This is incredibly realistic.

Ray Dunakin

Awesome! I love the color of the wood on the gangway.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World