• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Peter, the handrails look good, I agree maybe a little polishing would add to the realism.

But mostly I wanted to comment on your Mercury capsule. It looks big enough for a student to sit in and type on the keyboard. Did you build it? My dad worked on the manned space program from mercury through Apollo. We got to tray samples of some of the first freeze dried space food, including freeze dried strawberry ice cream which then was less exciting to taste than it sounded.

Peter_T1958

Hi Bill

Thanks for your comment. I will improve that tonight!

The kids are 10 to 11 years old and they love most to sit in and do some number games and language games. We also created "space food" ourselves - afterwards we had to clean the classroom for about two hours.  >:(
The capsule (a rough approach to a Mercury space craft) I made from roof battens and thick cardboards.

Cheers,
Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

The handrails only need polishing if workmen would use them a lot. If they get infrequent use they look excellent.

The space capsule is impressive. You students must have thought it was the greatest thing they'd ever seen in school.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Coming along nicely! Great space capsule too!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Peter,

the soldering work at the stairs and handrails looks good, but I'm a bit concerned about the general look of the stairs. I'd expect them to originally be painted as the cast iron parts are, so at least some of the color would shine through the rust stains, which surely have been there in that humid environment? Howsoever the rusty coloring itself looks very convincing.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hydrostat on October 12, 2018, 01:19:14 AM
I'm a bit concerned about the general look of the stairs. I'd expect them to originally be painted as the cast iron parts are, so at least some of the color would shine through the rust stains, which surely have been there in that humid environment?
Cheers,
Volker

Volker,

thank you very much for your input - that's what I am expecting from this forum. I must agree, after the first positiv impression I became a little bit insecure too, even more, when I looked at the stairs on the rear side.
I wanted them even darker, as they were located on the shaded side oft the abutment. 

I must realise now that subtle variations in rust surfaces are very hard to archieve in that scale. But I will try it again and startet a coplete makeover. Let's see what is possible  ;)

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on October 12, 2018, 09:31:09 AM
Quote from: Hydrostat on October 12, 2018, 01:19:14 AM
I'm a bit concerned about the general look of the stairs. I'd expect them to originally be painted as the cast iron parts are, so at least some of the color would shine through the rust stains, which surely have been there in that humid environment?
Cheers,
Volker

Volker,

thank you very much for your input - that's what I am expecting from this forum. I must agree, after the first positiv impression I became a little bit insecure too, even more, when I looked at the stairs on the rear side.
I wanted them even darker, as they were located on the shaded side oft the abutment. 

Your work is fantastic, and I think the stairs look great. Especially the one installed down on the abutment. The one installed directly beside the wheel maybe looks a little too different from the casted parts as Volker suggests. But maybe you plan some final weathering to blend everything together?

This discussion illustrates how valuable prototype pictures in color are! It´s really the only way to settle discussions like this.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on October 12, 2018, 02:35:13 PM
This discussion illustrates how valuable prototype pictures in color are! It´s really the only way to settle discussions like this.

You are right, researches are most important. And, it's hard to believe, but there is a prototype pictures in color still existing. Here you can see the remains of Pillar number 1 with some railing. Very dark colour (hardly original?!?) and rusty. But remember, that was in 1966!

Pfeiler 1966

Nevertheless I like such constructive comments very much and I hope this forum remains the place, where we can get some really serious suggestions from high-calibre modelers like Volker, Chuck and all those masters here.  

Here annother view of one of the pillars back in the late 1890s. Again: very dirty and oily appearance except the huge wheels.

Pfeiler 1

Bill Gill

Peter, I tried to reduce the redness of that 1966 photo. This version probably doesn't have more accurate color, but it is less red.

Hydrostat

Another bit of image editing. I'd need the high resolution picture to make more of it.

I recall static iron structures having been painted with tar sometimes and that is what it looks like here a bit. I don't think it is the original color - but what is original? For sure they had to repaint that each three or four years. I do much more wonder at the huge Swiss persons, especially the one behind the house :o !
Seriously: isn't it amazing how low the handrail is? That knee high one provides no fall protection at all.

Cheers,
Volker

Design-HSB

Hi Peter,

At that time it was normal to use asphalt varnish as corrosion protection for iron. Today of course banned, but black satin finish is therefore certainly the right choice. This will ensure that your great railings get the right finish.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Great work so far, Peter!

Volker, nice job adjusting the colors on that photo.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hydrostat on October 13, 2018, 06:44:06 AM
I recall static iron structures having been painted with tar sometimes and that is what it looks like here a bit. I don't think it is the original color - but what is original?

Quote from: Design-HSB on October 13, 2018, 07:56:18 AM
At that time it was normal to use asphalt varnish as corrosion protection for iron. Today of course banned, but black satin finish is therefore certainly the right choice.

Thanks a lot for adjusting the colors and for your advises. And good question: What is the original? I have read that with the asphalt varnish too and in the pictue the low handrail(?) looks so ideed. Most of the prototype pictures show a lighter colour yet (as Volker statet) BUT also a very dirty and worn appearance. So I repainted one ladder again for comparing...
Hmm, thats far away from tar or asphalt, no? :-\

Lawton Maner

The top rung of the railing on a well used ladder will develop a polished look even when painted because of the constant rubbing of hands and gloves across the surface.  The oil naturally found in the workers' hands will be enough, over time, to help form the patina.  As an example close to most of us, look at how the steering wheel of our cars gets a patina from being handled.

Hydrostat

I second what Lawton said and do add the footsteps as candidates for a rather blackich/blueish/shiny appearance - you mind find that at sewers/covers in less frequented pedestrian areas. Howsoever the general appearance to me now looks very convincing!