• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

the cargo bike

Started by 1-32, October 28, 2012, 08:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi everybody,the cargo bike is a little project that i want to build in 1-35 scale,here is the project picture.
the location is china,i think they are basically history,but in the west is they are making a comeback.i am a  bike rider and have not owned a car in 15 years[i still love a v8].they fall into 2 types all are trikes[3 wheels]
a-bin forward of saddle like the ice cream sellers of new york.
b-bin behind as used in asia this is the variety i will be modelling.
i was lucky enough to photo my referance not far from where i live here is a few examples.

of course the cargo is the detail this can be anything,farm produce ,furniture.
so to the the net to find a pushbike.there is a g scale made by preiser complete with a farm worker rider.the example that i will be using is a tamiya 1-35 scale.2 bikes great for trikes.i also got a dragon detail etch detail set.it is going to be very interesting to see how all this is going to work.i know that for a start the riders need to be re worked a lot.now where is my super sharp knife for surgery no gloves needed
kind regards kim

danpickard

G'day Kim,
Sounds like an interesting build.  I'd be keen to see where you go with the load on the back.  This is likely to be one of those case where that "there's a prototype for everything" saying can be used.  Based on that first pic, there is a chance to do some ridiculously overloaded modelling.  Have fun with it.

Cheers,
Dan

marc_reusser

Sweet. This looks like it will be a fun project to watch.

Don't forget to properly model all the frame lugging  ;) ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Yeah, neat project!  I think all that junk in the first photo posted is just "luggage" and such ... but, at a glimpse, it kinda looks like a house-bike or three-wheeled caravan ... whatever direction you choose, there are zillions of interesting possibilities here.  Look forward to your creation.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

michael mott

Sounds like a neat project. I wonder what the tire pressure is in those tires on the first pic?

Michael

1-32

have just started on the bike i now have a new sense of respect for 1-35 modelling it is very fine. there is little left of the tamiya plastic when you use the etch sheet.the wheels will have to be airbrushed.i feel that all the different scales have there own level of detail and application,with the larger scale you can use more brush work below 1-32 air brush.
i now want to use the bike in a small urban display most likely a secound hand furniture store
kind regards kim

1-32

fiddle there and fiddle again why do your hands get in the way.this morning i made a simple gig out of cardboard to keep all the bits square.i have to watch that i can un-glue the finished article.
kind regards kim

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

I agree - a LOT of potential there, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Thanks for posting your progress.
KBO..................... Andi.

Malachi Constant

Good idea to use some sort of fixture there ... that assembly could get real fiddly real fast!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

narrowgauger

hi Kim

looking good and great subject matter.

suggest that you drill the plastic headstem in the frame and make-up the forks/handlebars in brass using the etchings & some brass wire.  this will avoid the frustration of working with the Tamiya plastic parts and allow you to articulate the front wheel relative to the frame.

In 2 bikes I built I used a section of brass tube (to a diameter that fits into the hole in the headstem) onto which the forks were soldered.  the tune was cut-off just above the top of the headstem.  the handlebars were made as a seperate part in the form of a "Tee" with the section connecting to the forks matching the ID of the tube.  when painting & all other detailing was completed the handlebars & forks were mated with some super glue.

Hope this helps.

have fun & stay cool
Bernard

1-32

thanks all fiddle there fiddle over there where are those tweezers.

have just bought this book at a boot sale,just the thing for a furniture maker.art and craft style maybe is a bit grand but all furniture is based around the same principles.
kind regards kim

Les

Kim
If you want more information and some good pictures try
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/page-4-commercial-delivery-tricycles/

There other cycles on other links from the right hand side listings

Les

1-32

thanks les great referance have you checked out the links, there are some funny examples of all sorts of off beat  bikes and trucks from around the asia region.
kind regards kim

1-32

the nearly finished cargo bike primed and ready for the cargo and the rest of the scene.
kind regards kim