• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

woolacombe layout at 7/8 th scale

Started by franckcombe, October 02, 2012, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franckcombe

After modelling 2 layouts at gn15 scale (maple shack and vulcan iron works) I switch to 7/8 th scale (or 1/12 scale, doll house scale). It's a fictional layout for fisherman located at woolacombe (north devon, uk). The size is 140 cm by 72.5 cm plus a fiddle yard not shows). The base is an hollow core door plus pink foam on it and a little plaster.

I made some progress during september : I rust the rail, put 2 layers of sand and I begin to add few plants.

finescalerr

Good start. I will be very interested in how you enhance it. For example, the weeds in the background still look a little artificial. Nice concept. Please keep posting. -- Russ

franckcombe

I'm planting the weeds. I just spent 3 hours for the weed I will add some more weed, cut it and shape it. For the moment I agree it's artificial but I will do effort to look like more natural.

Mr Potato Head

That's beautiful!
Don't worry about the weeds, even though they look like hair plugs, they'll grow in  ::)
mph
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

The rusting stuff at Dungeness is a popular subject on Flickr. 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Just tell everyone that the weeds are some Boy Scout's Eagle Scout project and he planted them for erosion control.  The pattern is a lot like the grass the US Park Service and the North Carolina Department of Conservation plant each summer on the Outer Banks.  Just add a sweating Boy Scout with a stick and a bag of plants and go for a cold one. ::)

franckcombe

The plants grow quickly ... and now seem more natural

finescalerr

Coming along and looking better. The scene is developing a sense of realism I kind of like. -- Russ

5thwheel

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2012, 01:02:09 AM
Coming along and looking better. The scene is developing a sense of realism I kind of like. -- Russ

I agree with Russ but there is something thas has bugged me from the start.  Just figured it out.  The three braces on the corner of the wooden wall are not holding up much, at lease they don't look like it.  I had a very similar wall on some real beach propety I had.  To look right to me it should have a horizontal whaler bolted across the corners and then the braces holding them up and against the wall.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

franckcombe

I agree with your comment. I was hesitating to do the bracing or not, but you convince me. If you have photos of true wall, you can post it like that it will look more real.

5thwheel

Quote from: franckcombe on October 23, 2012, 11:20:05 AM
I agree with your comment. I was hesitating to do the bracing or not, but you convince me. If you have photos of true wall, you can post it like that it will look more real.

Sorry I was slow in responding but my wife has been in the hospital, she is doing fine now.I hope this helps you or at least gives you an idea.  The horizontal (A) wale (whaler) is bolted to the vertical boards every 4-6 feet.  About every eight feet should be a brace to the ground (C) with the brace bolted to the wale.  In the ground the brace should but against and be bolted to a deadman buried in the ground and running crosswise to the brace.  The deadman should be about four to six feet long or even more depending on the soil.  The deadman (D) could also b e buried vertical as in the drawing but not as strong. The drawing shown here is for temporary walls but the idea is the same.  On a tall wall it is a good idea to have a second wale lower down on the wall.
    click on the picture to enlarge it.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

franckcombe

Thank-you for the drawing and dimensions. I will try to see what can I do and modify on my layout.

5thwheel

Anxious to see what you come up with.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

franckcombe

This is the crab shack for selling the crabs and fish. I will need to do a little weathering on the roof,  add the logo,  fisherman and accessories