• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Stone/Brick/Steel Watertank

Started by Carlo, September 06, 2012, 12:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -
I want to share (and get an honest critique) of my work so far. This is a 1:24 scale water tank, patterned after a tank in Sardinia.
I decided on this tank after I saw a picture in the book; "A Contrast in Islands; Narrow Gauge Railways of Corsica and Sardinia" by W.J.K. Davies.

The base started with a set of Hydrocal plaster castings from Tom Yorke. These were adapted for my use, with wooden door and window,
and steel support beams. The tank is just a scratchbuilt styrene box right now, and I'm working on embossing the many rivet strips.

Eventually I plan a scene with a rickety scaffold, and the Fitchenfoo welding girl working on patching a leak.

Carlo

Carlo

Hello, again -

I did a little more work on this project. The tank now has rivet strips,
and I added a drain pipe, and a ladder, both of which are just temporarily placed.

I also worked on the coloration and weathering of the base structure, using acrylics.
The next step will be the loco feed-piping on the front wall.

Regards, Carlo

finescalerr

It's shaping up. I think the base still needs a little work on the overall coloring and weathering. Maybe even a little algae somewhere. The work on the tank seems clean. Anyone have more specific advice? -- Russ

michael mott

Not being that familiar with crumbling plaster, but it seems to me to be a bit clinical, what I am trying to get at is that I would imagine that the plaster falling off would be more or less in a specific location because of some underlying defect or the result of water leakage in one or two areas.
Perhaps you might think about filling in a couple of the exposed brick areas and adding some less dramatic aging. Just a thought.

Regards Michael