• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt warehouse in H0

Started by Hauk, August 24, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Swimming against the tide, maybe, but my current project is a warehouse/aerial tram terminal in H0.

Here is a picture of the prototype:

The lasercut plywood substructure:

The plywood was painted black before the panelling began.

Panelled wall:

A little more information on the windows.
I am a great fan of etching  because of the relative strength of the parts, high precision and the way it is possible to make a lot of identical parts in a short time.

So I chose to etch the mullions in 0,2 mm nickel silver.
The framing was lasercut.

A great feature of the photoetched mullions was the possiblility of adding fold-up tabs for guiding the window frames and for positioning the finished windows in the wall openings.

As I was quite disappointed wth lasercut framing (grain in the wrong direction), I chose to subtitute it with 1X4 stripwood. Without the tabs the gluing of the stripwood framing would have been a nightmare. With the tabs, it was  merely a timeconsuming task.

Here is a lineup of etched mullions, lasercut framing and windows in different phases of construction:

Closeup of  some finished windows. I think you can see why I wanted to substitute the lasercut framing for stripwood!

With stripwood framing. An improvement worth the extra effort, at least in my book!

Fat thumb included to indicate scale:

The walls are colored with Conte crayons ground to powder. Sprinkled on, and brushed into the wood with a stiff paint brush. Sign was sprayed on using a CNC-cutter.

The result is by no means Chuck n` Anders , but it took less than 15 minutes to finish this wall (not counting the letteering).

The building is for a large layout, so I am trying to find a balance between time and quality that makes sense in this context.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

SandiaPaul

That looks great.

Am I seeing it correctly..the mullions are 2 layer etched so that it looks like the profile and not just flat?  Great detail.
Really like the window construction. I may steal that!

Paul
Paul

lab-dad

Your improvements take it from a "kit" to a model!
Hard to tell it is HO!
-Marty

Hauk

Quote from: SandiaPaul on August 24, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
That looks great.

Am I seeing it correctly..the mullions are 2 layer etched so that it looks like the profile and not just flat?  Great detail.
Really like the window construction. I may steal that!

Paul

Yes, they are two layer etched. Normally you would try to sand/file the cusp down, But in this case I agree that it looks better with the cusp. And sanding down all the mullions would have been just plain nuts!

The "tent effect" as it also is called seems to be a bit more prominent on the etchings by PPD in Scotland compared to the work I have seen by Chempix.

Happy to hear that you might find the design useful for your own pojects. Thats the whole pointof putting ideas into the public domain!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Junior

Saw this on the Swedish Narrow Gauge forum awhile ago - awesome work by Mr.Hauk as usual!

Anders

Hauk

Quote from: Junior on August 24, 2012, 06:57:46 AM
Saw this on the Swedish Narrow Gauge forum awhile ago - awesome work by Mr.Hauk as usual!

Anders

Thanks!

If anybody is interested in taking a closer look on how the windows are constructed, here is the artwork for the etchings:

http://www.folk-rovere.org/mj/bilder/window_front.pdf

http://www.folk-rovere.org/mj/bilder/window_back.pdf

Regards, Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--

SandiaPaul

Hauk,

Thanks for putting up the art...I have a few projects I'd like to do with etching...but after reading all the guidelines on a couple different sites I'm left a bit confused!

To go back to the mullions, so the molding effect I mentioned, can you point out the "tent effect? I know what it is but I'm not sure exactly what I am looking for or at!

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

finescalerr

Nothing to criticize. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: SandiaPaul on August 24, 2012, 08:19:36 AM
Hauk,

Thanks for putting up the art...I have a few projects I'd like to do with etching...but after reading all the guidelines on a couple different sites I'm left a bit confused!

To go back to the mullions, so the molding effect I mentioned, can you point out the "tent effect? I know what it is but I'm not sure exactly what I am looking for or at!

Thanks,

Paul

In this picture you can see the  effect:

This effect is mainly a problem, I can see very few situations were it is an asset.
I think one of the things that separate good modellers from average ones is the willingness to spend the time and effort to remove these cusps. A good designer of etchings does also take this effect into account when preparing the artwork.

Regard, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Lawton Maner

I don't really see a problem with the "tenting" in HO.  In the photos where you are comparing the laser cut window frames to the built up ones, it appears to me that he windows appeared to have been recently re-glazed.

Hauk

Quote from: Lawton Maner on August 24, 2012, 07:49:38 PM
I don't really see a problem with the "tenting" in HO.  In the photos where you are comparing the laser cut window frames to the built up ones, it appears to me that he windows appeared to have been recently re-glazed.

I agree that in this particular case, the tenting is not a problem.
But were the etched part represents a metal plate with the edge exposed, the tenting is  a problem even in H0.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

jim s-w

Good stuff Hauk

Its nice to see someone consider the thickness of an etch.  Theres a lot of people on other forums that think etched = better but not always so.  Some window frames are quite chunky bits of timber.

Whats an arial tram?  Is that the same thing as a cable car?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Hauk

Quote from: jim s-w on August 25, 2012, 10:22:41 AM
Good stuff Hauk

Its nice to se someone consider th thickness of an etch.  Theres a lot of people on other forums that think etched = better but not always so.  Some windpw frames are quite chunky bits of timber.

Whats an arial tram?  Is that the same thing as a cable car?

Cheers

Jim

That should of course read "Aerial tram". And yes, it is the same as a cable car.
The one that terminated at my building is very similiar to the one in the enclosed picture.

Regards, Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--

BKLN

Hauk,
a very exciting project! I will be watching this closely and I can't wait until you get to the actual aerial tram. Having seen your excellent work, can I assume that you will build this from brass?
In particular the wheels at end station would be make for an amazing model.

Christian

Hauk

Quote from: BKLN on August 27, 2012, 11:17:00 AM
Hauk,
a very exciting project! I will be watching this closely and I can't wait until you get to the actual aerial tram. Having seen your excellent work, can I assume that you will build this from brass?
In particular the wheels at end station would be make for an amazing model.

Christian

Sorry to disappoint you, but the tram machinery will be hidden deep inside the building. And the other end of the line is on the other side of the mountain...
Just a very short stretch of the tram will be modelled, maybe 3-4 buckets. A return wheel will be hidden behind some trees just a couple of feet from the building. J

And the point is also to make a relatively simple model, so no interior will be modelled. I save the "all stops" modelling for 0-scale!
Regards, Hauk
--