• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the Big

Started by Chuck Doan, August 01, 2012, 07:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Can't keep anything a secret around here  :'( 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

VERY effective cracked/peeling paint!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Chuck,   I think the peeling paint / cracked method with the Ranger paints looks better in this larger scale.  O scale and smaller i dont think it would work as good or..... look this GOOD as it does in this Scale  ;D  I would like to try it on some O scale lumber one day and see how it would look ?? as i did buy a couple bottles of Ranger crackle paints last year...to put away and use on my 1/25 scale gas station project / rebuild.....If that every get's off the ground again ???
Craig

Chuck Doan

I have done peeled paint before, but this is the first time for actual peeling paint. Looking at examples on Flickr, this product does a great job duplicating real crackle paint.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Chuck Doan

I have gotten a start on my diorama wall; the first five clapboards are up. The crackle paint is working well. Or failing well depending on your point of view.

lab-dad

Thats some seriously f@#$ed up paint! -in a good way!
Looks like the window will be messed up too!

-Marty

TRAINS1941

Whoa that is some serious peeling paint.  The nails look pretty dam good to.
For sure it is working real well.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Those paint chips look very delicate, as though they might fall off easily during routine handling. I hope that's not the case. -- Russ

1-32

the peeling paint is great,but what is really good is the stain on the old timber and the texture.regards kim

Chuck Doan

Thanks!

Yes it somewhat delicate, but not too bad. The trick is allowing the acetone to soften the Dullcote, not dissolve it. Thus it still has some stickiness to hold the crackles. Plus a coat of Dullcote to seal. These boards went through a low pressure soda-blasting after all that.

I am not touching the finished surface, pretty much like any model. Some flakes are bound to fall, but that makes it even more realistic. 8)

Someday some fool will give it a good dusting or vacuuming and get a real surprise!

Gordon Ferguson

Looks as good as I imagined it would!

Presume that is the infamous Silverwood stain, stuff that seems impossible to get in UK or Europe ...... And if anybody can correct that statement I would be most grateful.

Can you give bit more detail as to how you achieved the old rotten wood look , thanks
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Looking real good!  And, yes ... a couple coats of Krylon clear flat or equivalent will at least somewhat "glue" the flakes in place, so they'll hold up to at least a bit of handling ...

Did you use some pastels, water color pencils or some such to add the streaks of warm tones visible in the wood?

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

I like the little bit of old, dried leaf caught in the boards, in the last photo.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: gfadvance on September 04, 2012, 02:19:43 PM

Presume that is the infamous Silverwood stain, stuff that seems impossible to get in UK or Europe ...... And if anybody can correct that statement I would be most grateful.

I managed to obtain two bottles of the stuff from Caboose Hobbies a while back. But now it seems they have realised how absolutely deadly the stuff is, and refuse to ship it overseas.

Regards, Hauk
(Located in Norway)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Junior

Looks really great  :o! The Ranger Crackle paints we all seem to be able to handle quite well but your raw wood color is just stunning as usual.

When I ordered Silverwood from Builders in Scale I got the following information from them. "Sorry canĀ“t ship overseas but just mix Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol in the US) and india ink and you will have the same thing". Not so sure.... ????

Would be interesting to see a test from somebody who has access to both potions.

Anders