• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Lombard Rail Truck

Started by Scratchman, March 16, 2008, 06:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Harper

Gordon its really looking good,

Just some info on that engine.

Lombard used engines from several diffrent manufactures:
Sterling, Brennan, Van Blerk, Wisconsin and Hercules. He even manufactured his own for awhile.

What appears to have been the most popular 6 cylinder was the Wisconsin followed by the Sterling.

Lombard used two versions of the Wisconsin:

The model 'PT' was a 6 cylinder 'T' head engine with a bore of 5-3/4" and a 7" stroke. It produced 100hp at 1000 rpm.

The Model D-4 was introduced near the end of production. It was a 6 cyl. overhead valve design with a 5-3/4" bore and a 6-1/2" stoke. I t produced 125 hp at 1200 rpm.

The engine depicted in my drawings and as modeled so wonderfully by Gordon is the Model 'PT'. Most surving Lombards have 3 stacks sticking straight up through the hood. (2 cylinders per stack) It seems the large gap between the paired cylinder blocks caused un-even heating of that heavy manifold and it cracked continuosly. One intact one I found had bailing wire holding it together! Neat detail.

Great Job Gordon. I can almost hear it running now. Hope there arn't a lot of people living near your right-of-way!

Best regards,

Terry

Chuck Doan

Man, that engine is great, Gordon! Really brings it all together. I have always been impressed with your abilty to make all the shapes and things you need.

Chuck
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

At last, this one is almost ready for the finished shelf. Here's a photo of the inside of the cab, and a couple shots of the right side of the engine. Back when I was building the frame. I got the two center channel beams on the wrong side of the layout line, making it six inches wider than the plan. I decided to leave it, but it's been giving me problems. The removable boards in the center of the deck don't work out in the cab, the gas tanks needed to be moved out, but the main problem was the shape of the radiator and hood top, also the front wheels are about three inches smaller than the plan. The gears are solid on the prototype, I left the ones on the model open, these are also a bit smaller than the prototype. The cab, gas tank, engine, and the radiator are not glued on yet, as soon as I glue these on, I will turn it over and take some photos of the under-body.

Gordon Birrell

lab-dad

Coming along nicely Gordon!
I cant wait for the "build" report in Unc's rag.
I still think that engine is too clean!
Love the gauges and especially the back sides!
Marty

finescalerr

Gordon, your mistakes look better than my successes! -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Very, very nice!  Just love the cab great job on the gauges.
I agree with Marty on just one thing the engine needs a little more grime.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Terry Harper

Gordon,

Most fantastic. If you hadn't of mentioned it I would have never noticed the width issue.

One last detail is missing though (see attached)

Again, most fantastic work! Let me know when the article comes out.

Best regards,
Terry

Terry Harper

And a drawing of it.

Scratchman

Thanks guys, for your comments. Terry I will try to figure out how to do the logo.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

John McGuyer

What I really appreciate is the level of detail. Hoses aren't just stuck in a hole, they have fittings. Parts aren't just stuck together, they have nuts and bolts and brackets. When I built model airplanes, there was an old saying; "The difference between amateurs and experts is sandpaper". I guess in our case it is details.

John

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments. I got the rest of the components glued on and was able to turn it over and take some full shots of the under body. Not as dramatic as the Doane, but still some good detail. Still going to do some more oil washes and more rust.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/