• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Lombard Rail Truck

Started by Scratchman, March 16, 2008, 06:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Lombard Rail Truck

No finished photos yet.  I'm starting this now hoping to find some more info. There are a couple of restored prototypes back in Maine, I think, and maybe someone has some photos that they would like to share.  Lombard Auto Type Tractor, the standard10-ton tractor, was originally a tracked vehicle converted into a rail truck. This rail truck is standard gauge so it will not be in the upcoming convention in Portland unless I can work it into a narrow gauge diorama some how. The plans are out of the Sept-Oct 2007 N.G. & S.L. Gazette by Terence F. Harper. These plans are about 80 to 90 percent of a good full coverage of the prototype. Hard to see what the transmission, differential, brakes and some other parts look like. On my Doane thread I said I was going to model the engine and never did, but I'm going to give this one a try. The engine is a 100 hp Wisconsin 6 cylinder. The rail truck prototype has no cab but I'm adding one to my model along with the second gas tank. The rear wheel will be scratch out of styrene trying to match the profile of the 1/2" scale Simpson wheel sets that will be used for the front wheels. The chain and sprockets are from Serv-O-Link. The bed and rear wheel are finished and I have a good start on the frame. I will be doing this thread the same as the Doane thread was done and hope to have the first pics up soon.

Here's a couple of photos of some unfinished parts showing the rear wheels.

Gordon Birrell  Scratchman

marc_reusser

Very cool! Interesting subject matter...even more interesting that someone in real life would convert a Lombard for this purpose, rather than just a regular truck....sound more complicated.

Look forward to your progress/work on this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Look out, folks -- here he goes again!

Gordon, I can't believe how you can be so prolific and yet model to such an astoundingly superb standard.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Simply amazing that you just finish one.  And now will add the engine to this one and a few other parts.  It will be a real pleasure following along as your work is just outstanding.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Terry Harper

Hello Gordon,

Good to see my plans being used. I would love to see photos of the finished product.

That Lombard rail truck was an intersting find. Back in the early 1990's I was contracted by the State of Maine to perform a inventory of all the artifacts and historical sites in the Allagash Wilderness Waterway including the Eagle Lake & West Branch railroads terminal at Tramway. During the survey we found an odd set of wheels and some other parts that just didn't fit with any of the other known equipment.

Early accounts stated that the railroad had a "tractor converted to run on rails" but that was it. Anyway, several years later I got a phone call from the daughter of A.O. Harkness who was the master mechanic for the Great Northern Paper Company. She mentioned that she had come across some more photographs and asked if would be interested in looking at them. Needless to say the answer was YES!. Anyway, while looking through them I came across the photos of that converted Lombard. Then like a bolt of lightning I remembered those odd wheels. It was a perfect match. ;D Incidently those wheels had seen some rough service. They were cast steel with no replaceable steel tire. Both were cracked badly and the spokes had been repaired at least several times. With no suspension of any kind and the rough rail I can image the pounding they took.

Surprisingly there are quite a few Lombard that did survive the scrapdrives of the 1940's.

I know of at least 6 steamers (2 in operating condition) as well as at least 13 gasoline powered tractors. At least 3 of the later are running including one 10 ton and 2 8 ton models. I got to play a bit with a the 10 Ton back this fall. Although it dose'nt have the original engine it sounds real nice! Incidently this tractor was the second to last Lombard made and is equiped with rubber tires on the front.

I was fortunate to have access to several tractors and based my drawings on those dimensions.

Gordon,

I do have some detail photos I can send - engine drive train etc. Contact me via PM and I can send off a CD to you. I would love to see photos of the finished model.

Best regards,

Terry Harper

Scratchman

Terry,thanks for the added info and for your great set of plans.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/
Flickr

jacq01

Gordon,

fantastic to see the gussets, girders, bearings and wheels grow into a , eh,  well  ...  :-[  eh.. ,   something, a very good looking machine. 
   I love to watch these parts taking shape from basic materials.

Jacq

PS
   Thanks for the info of Serv-O-Link sprockets and chain. This type of chain I have been looking for to make the jack slip chain of my 1:48 sawmill. The hooks I'll make from styrene after drawings out of some patents from around 1900 I found.

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Scratchman

Jacq

The chain and the smaller solid sprockets are also available from Grandt Line.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/
Flickr

Scratchman

I got a good start on the frame, drive line, and bed. I still need to finish the brake, clutch and the rest of the controls. I will be moving on to the front, starting with the fire wall and cab. The extra gas tank was usually no more than a 50 gallon drum. I just added another factory tank. The Lombard consumed eight gallons of gas per hour and ran at an average speed of four miles an hour.

Gordon Birrell

Scratchman

jacq01

I can't find the words ...............................
   Gordon, fantastic and all from scratch.
   Your work is a benchmark....for me.
   Can't wait to see the next steps.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Disgusting, revolting, hideous work, Gordon. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Just outstanding another excellent demonstration of fine scale modeling.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

RoughboyModelworks

Aw jeeezzz? and I was just getting over feelings of inadequacy  ;) ;)

Astounding work Gordon, absolutely first-rate. Really looking forward watching this one progress too.

Paul