• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

"buttermilk" paint

Started by chester, April 30, 2008, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

My first post here. I recognize quite a few names of a prestigious nature and feel somewhat intimidated but I thought this product might be of interest. I build reproduction furniture and have been using a powdered paint that is referred to as buttermilk paint (  http://www.vandykes.com/product/02228618/  ) to achieve my milk paint finishes. I've been modeling in 1/87 scale for many years but it never occurred to use them for my hobby. The photo below is of a board on board structure that I stained with a driftwood oil based wood stain similar to what you might buy from outfits like Minwax. I don't let the stain completely dry out and then I mix the milk paint quite thin (about 1 tsp. to a pint) and paint it on. Allow this to completely dry and then you can manipulate it with steel wool or what I prefer, a buffing pad. Just a little work with some artists chalks gave me the results you see below. Please advise if I have not posted the photo properly.

John McGuyer

Excellent effects. Thank you for the information.

John

marc_reusser

Hi Chester,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you posting.

Interesting idea, and nice effect. Once dry does the B-M paint stay "cured", or is it like Egg-Tempra, and reactivates when it gets wetted again later with water?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

That model is HO scale? You belong here.

Russ

Chuck Doan

Hi Chester, glad you found us!

NIce job, amazing all the different ideas out there.

CD
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jacq01

Hi Chester,

as Chuck stated, another great method to get old looking timber walls.
  All those different sort of materials available in the US makes me jealous.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

WOW!
Another new paint technique to try!
Thanks for sharing.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Jacq,

The "milk" paint and "lime" paints are available in Europe. They are true original "old world" paints.  In the past we have ordered "lime" paints from Holland or France. We used them to paint (whitewash) a couple of old period homes we were restoring/renovating at the time. We wanted the paint to wear and fade and "age" due to the elements, just like their European prototypes.

Not relative to the milk paint, bt FWIW, we also used a technique on an English "Cotswold" manor style house, of mixing coffee grounds  into the natural gray plaster during application, this would then cause staining, leaching marks and runs....over a period of time, mimmicking the dirt/grime, water and mold staining found on original examples.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

In  1:1  I was aware of these aging methods, but in H0 its new to me.
   I have to give this methode a go when I start on the details of the H0 diorama.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.