• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

19th Century Cornish Stable

Started by granitechops, March 14, 2012, 02:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

Fix one either side, as the bars run down parrallel, the holes in the side bars are drilled accordingly ( NOT equidistant around the segment )

Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

all 9 bars insitu, this simple project was more complicated than I first thought

granitechops

Gave the two fixed walls a first treatment
Polyfiller/pva/ water mix, applied in a thin layer
texture acheived using a offcut of floor joist about 2 ins long on edge as mix had started to go off

granitechops

when wall coating was tacky dry, laid hay rack on its side to see how it looked

granitechops

modified the wall texture & done some weathering of the rack, needs a better pic in the daylight tomorrow

Ray Dunakin

The construction of the hay rack is pretty clever!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Like the way this is shaping up. When was the last time we all watched a hay rack being built? The website you linked to for antique horse stable bits is very interesting too.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

granitechops

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 17, 2012, 06:14:24 PM
The construction of the hay rack is pretty clever!
Thanks Ray, I am getting pretty hamfisted in my old age, hands dont exactly hit the target accurately every time, so the white 'stick' gives strength while assembling.
Doing something new like this I try to think how would the blacksmith have gone about this? & try to replicate his work.
I have deviated a bit as wrought iron would not need strengthening fillets in the corners

granitechops

Quote from: artizen on March 17, 2012, 10:24:26 PM
Like the way this is shaping up. When was the last time we all watched a hay rack being built? The website you linked to for antique horse stable bits is very interesting too.
Thanks Ian lots a of bits of detail on that site

It was quite difficult to photograh as well, being of such a complicated shape having curves in three planes. It took a while looking at their photos to work it out, especialy the dimentions

granitechops

Did a cill for the window above the tack room, its even got its drip groove!

granitechops

Then I realised I had forgotten about the lintel OVER the window
so adjustments neccesary
I want to slightly set back the wood lintel & not have it flush with the outside wall

granitechops

View in this afternoons sunshine
Comment about wall texture please
What I have tried to replicate is a wall built out of flat stones rather like slate, but approx 2" thick, then given regular coats of whitewash for stable hygene,

I applied a mix of polyfilla, pva, acrylic paint and water very thinly with a wallpaper scraper, when starting to set worked it by dabbing with the edge of a scrap piece of floor joist, footprint of 6mm x 40mm, when set lightly rubbed down with fine abrasive to remove the peak of the stipples, it then looked too flat so gave 2 more coats of fairly thick white acrylic with some pva mixed in, finishing off brushing horizontally with the stone bed.
I feel it needs highlighting with some grey thin lines for dust
but my wife says it looks realistc leave it as it is

artizen

The amount of rust on the hay rack suggests it has been there for some time so maybe dust on the wall would help to conjure up a scene that has been around a while.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

If it was me, I might go over the wall with a very thin wash of brownish black and let it settle naturally onto the protrusions of the wall.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Thanks Ray for reminding me,
yes I used avery thin wash on the wall of the Packing shed to good effect, try & give a bit of diferentiation in tone around the feeder,
Do I forget more than I remember?