• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Digital Books Now Available

Started by finescalerr, March 08, 2012, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

I'm considering replacing the 12 sections of each book with a single 116 page PDF document. My concern was that the file size will be about 150 megabytes but I suppose (at last) few now find that intimidating.

I learned the hard way to avoid being on the cutting edge of technology, especially when dealing with narrow gauge railroad hobbyists. But, 14 years after my initial attempt, I guess the world finally may be on the threshold of accepting digital publications.

Russ

Design-HSB

Hi Russ,

I wanted to upload a copy of the test times down.
Of course, I would like to pay for it.
Unfortunately I could not see what expenses it incurred in addition to me.

$ 15.00 for 2012 Logging, Mining and Industrial Annual is surely not too much but recently I had to pay 35 € fees for a single foreign transfer to another dealer.

Can you tell me why what the charges are.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

The total charge should be $15.00, Helmut -- nothing more.

If you have trouble, send me a message and I will refund your money.

Russ

marc_reusser

150 MB is not too moch for those of us with good high speed connections...but it may still limit some...and it could be a pain for some people connecting via wi-fi or wireless 3G/4G, to say a tablet.

I agree I would prefer it as one whole...saves me from having to take the 2 minutes to combine it into a single PDF (which I am not sue everyone has the software for?....don't know if the free version of ADOBE let's you do that.) But how about maybe finding a mid point or other break-up.....IE...2 or 3 sections instead of 6....or even better for the other use you discussed.....break the download sections into the individual articles. (This would allow the user [me] to discard the articles/parts I don't want and save the things I want under the article name (makes for easier search on the box when looking for something)....yes, I can do all this myself with the Adobe...but again don't know if others have this option...or if they care.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Design-HSB

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the info.

Everything went really well,

The PDF can be opened, viewed and properly.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

Hi Russ,

I now invite the digital books you download from my main PC and server can read them on any PC.

But even more enjoyable to read the books on iBooks on my iPad.
Here I can easily zoom into images inside.
Also, I can translate my text electronic parts.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

That's the point I tried to make on another thread: The iPad is an ideal tool for getting the most out of a digital publication. -- Russ

SandiaPaul

But I don't WANT an ipad(nor can afford one) Another toy that has a limited life and further gets one entrenched in the annual upgrade, more costs for an isp, etc.

I have the whole Model RR, N scale, a couple of RR historical Society pubs and lots more "hobby" related DVD's. And you know what, I almost NEVER look at them. I work at the computer a lot and the idea of sitting down to read a hobby magazine just does not happen. And the drawings are virtually unusable.

Back issues(on paper) of Finescale, and others I look at all the time, they are next to the bed, in the throne, in my shop, etc...

Don't start about resisting technology I had computers and email and cnc machines before most of the mainstream. It ain't about resiting technology. It's about convenience to access the publication.

The one thing the computer has going for it is the index.

Rant off.

Paul
Paul

finescalerr

Tough luck. I understand your preference and I also understand your reluctance to buy an iPad. I don't own one yet, either. But times change and we all have to change with them or the walls of our world will cave in on us. As you know, the upcoming Modelers' Annual will be my last regular publication (unless you count the Narrow Gauge "half" Annual next year).

If the Modelers' Annual should continue IT WILL BE DIGITAL WHETHER ANYONE LIKES IT OR NOT. It is financial suicide to produce it any other way. Don't believe me? Start a publishing company; put your money where your mouth is.

Over the past 25 years of publishing I have run into idiots (YES, IDIOTS) who have canceled subscriptions, dropped ads, cussed me out, threatened me, and everything else you can imagine. Why? Because I had to make changes to survive. Those changes allowed me to earn a living while my competitors went broke and disappeared.

I don't ever want to hear a stupid rant about what somebody will do or won't do because of a necessary change. If you don't like what I publish, or how I publish it, then just disappear. I'm past having to cater to whiners.

(Sorry, Paul. I know you're a good guy and no idiot. I'm also flattered you have belonged to this forum for so long and truly appreciate having you here. But I've lost patience with inflexible guys complaining about change. I don't need to pull punches anymore and this is really an important punch to throw. Sorry it had to be aimed right at your jaw.)

Russ

SandiaPaul

Russ,

I agree and understand about the publishing facts, I have no issue there.  I think I have said in the past that I will continue to support whatever you do. I am just going to miss sitting in bed with the latest annual, flipping through the pages till the wee hours. My wife almost got me an ipad as a gift, but when we figured out that what I really wanted to do with it was look at all the dvd's I have and you can't do that(at least not easily) I passed. Maybe next year.

Paul(not a whiner ;)
Paul

SandiaPaul

This might be of interest, a discussion about another publication that went digital. I'm not putting this up to "prove a point" just thought it was intresting. Many of the same pro and cons.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/60157-what-is-up-with-Model-Engine-Builder-Magazine-they-went-digital-format

Paul
Paul

darrylhuffman

I think digital versions of the books are fine as far as I am concerned.

Another alternative in addition to digital downloads is to offer each on a DVD.

I have sold hundreds of old, in the public domain, books on CDs.

A DVD would simply allow more versatility.

DVDs are easy to make and easy to mail.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

Just so you guys will understand: The example of Model Engine Builder losing readers makes perfect sense to me, especially since those readers seem to be of the same demographics as my own.

To be very pragmatic about the publishing business, it actually is premature to go strictly digital. As with the Internet, it will take time for people to get onboard. In my personal case, paper publishing no longer is sufficiently profitable. It is possible that any publication at all that tries to continue what I've done would be unprofitable. If I still want to present your modeling to the world, though, it will have to be digital. There's just no choice.

Darryl, sending DVDs gets back to working with the post office and that's just asking for trouble. (I assume you read how they now want to stop delivering door to door so just imagine how unreliable service will become as they continue to eliminate workers and services.)

I know how all this must look to guys in the hobby but not in the hobby publishing business. I can only say we must realize we are a tiny minority of an unpopular hobby interest, we are fading away, and we must accept whatever change is necessary to preserve our interests.

Russ

darrylhuffman

Russ, by using a postal account such as Stamps.com, mailing DVDs is a snap.

I have mailed thousands of DVDs without any problems or complaints at all.

I have never had door to door delivery in my entire life and I never have complaints with the post office delivery systems.

I'm amazed at how quick and reliable it is.

Of course when I send things to England or Australia, the price jumps and the package has to make it's way through that country's customs which takes 3 to 6 weeks, but from my end the whole process is easy.

An advantage of the PECO Publications of issues of Railway Modeller on DVD is that they can also include short videos as part of the DVD.

I am perfectly content to download issues but offering an attractive package that sits on a shelf is nice too.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

SandiaPaul

This is going off topic...but I'd like to add that the thing that is really annoying is that this publication is going to end.
Why is it that all my favorite publications cease? Mainline Modeler was a great publication and you can't get those digitally, and I would get that in an instant.

One question: How do you get the contents of a DVD on to an ipad?

Paul
Paul