• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pair of Remoras

Started by FichtenFoo, December 11, 2011, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Started testing some paint techniques on my plaster bridge pylons for the base. I'm testing on one I broke accidentilly this morning. Now I have to wait a few days for the new ones to fully cure. Bah! Details on my site: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/remora/

Chicks dig giant robots.

FichtenFoo

As promised... Progress! Finished the clean-up and started primer and paint. I primed with dark gray and "red" dumplicolor auto primer, then airbrushed on a coat of Tamiya Flat Hull Red and sponged on some watered down Orange Tamiya for the rust. This is just a basecoat that will show through after the next step: the hairspray chipping technique.

More pics and info here: http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/remora/

Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Great start you've made , Michael .

I am pleased to say that my kit arrived yesterday and I have been making a start on it this evening . And what a great kit it is . I wish all resin kits went together this well . Virtually no flash and not a drop of hot water needed to make parts fit . I'm not exactly one hundred percent sure how all the parts are supposed to fit , but as I'll be able to study your progress shots I don't anticipate any problems . The casting block on the front of the hull took some sanding off and I lost some of the rivet/bolt heads , but that won't be visible when it is finished .

I drilled/reamed out the smokestack and drilled the holes out and I shall put an inner piece of styrene tube in later .

Rather than , or in addition to , using the tyres as fenders I thought about getting some of these fenders to put around the vessel . Not cheap but worth the expense I think . http://thachweave.tripod.com/

Lastly , I am going with Marc suggestion with having it moored up against a Roger Dean type floating island . That way I get to do some scenery as well as rusty tub weathering . I just need to think of a way of incorporating some brickwork ! A couple of photos to be going on with ,

Nick

FichtenFoo

Awesome! Glad you like the kit. You may need some boiling water for the arch as I did to make it a tighter snap-in fit, but otherwise I needed no water on any other parts. The pour-stub was unfortunate, but a necessity. Did you notice how strong the side-walls are? I love that!

Those fenders look great. You can always attempt the "mustache" style as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nypl/3110606352/

For those fenders you linked to... why not try doing them yourself following some friendship bracelet tutorials and plain colored string? Now I'm tempted as well!

http://www.how-to-make-jewelry.com/how-to-make-friendship-bracelets.html

Love the island idea! I've attached a sketch of Ian's that's as close to that as he's gotten I think.
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

I had no problem with the arch , it fitted just right .

The fenders on the tug are a bit hairier than I was thinking , but they might be a bit easier to make then the others .

I shall ask the Missus if she wouldn't mind knitting me a few up .

Nick

marc_reusser

Great progress!. Love  the bridge and abutments.
(Will you be doing a second run of the Remora kits?)

Nick, Look forward to seeing your progress as well.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Will both of you lunatics please continue to keep us up to date on your progress? This is fun! (And impressive.) -- Russ

artizen

The fenders look like they have been done crochet. You know - the little wooden tube thing with the pegs on the top and the finished item drops down through it like a woolly worm.

My wife would know all the technical details but I am sure you could make your own using fine wool or cotton.

As it is, this thread is a really good yarn already.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Mr Potato Head

That doesn't look like any friendship bracelet I have ever seen!   :o  It looks more like that Tug hit a heard of Wooly Mammoths!  :o :o
I was thinking when you said moored up to an Island that the Island was floating too ? ???
This is so cool, now I am whishing I would have gotten one! Oh well maybe second edition?
MPH
not really into this, but you make it look so cool!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on January 12, 2012, 08:24:46 AM
That doesn't look like any friendship bracelet I have ever seen!   :o  It looks more like that Tug hit a heard of Wooly Mammoths!  :o :o
I was thinking when you said moored up to an Island that the Island was floating too ? ???
This is so cool, now I am whishing I would have gotten one! Oh well maybe second edition?
MPH
not really into this, but you make it look so cool!

MPH ,

Yes , that is exactly what I was saying . That the island was floating in the air . Like the ones in Avatar , which probably got the idea from Roger Dean . As this is all fantasy we can let our imaginations run wild .

I'm pretty sure Michael will be doing a second run , and probably a third and fourth . So get one while they are hot .

I'm not really into this sort of modelling either but sometimes you gotta take a break from what you normally do . Plus I don't like to be pigeonholed . I consider myself a modeller first , a structure builder second and  a railway modeller possibly third .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: shropshire lad on January 12, 2012, 12:31:17 PM

I'm not really into this sort of modelling either but sometimes you gotta take a break from what you normally do . Plus I don't like to be pigeonholed . I consider myself a modeller first , a structure builder second and  a railway modeller possibly third .

Nick

Well if thats your story Nick, you stick to it  ................. but I look forward to seeing what you have been taking a break from  ;D ;D
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on January 12, 2012, 02:14:20 PM
Quote from: shropshire lad on January 12, 2012, 12:31:17 PM

Nick

Well if thats your story Nick, you stick to it  ................. but I look forward to seeing what you have been taking a break from  ;D ;D

I've been taking a break from doing nothing . As you'll see in a couple of weeks .

FichtenFoo

I've been quite busy since the last update. Check out the two hulls and fin progress for the two build-ups. There's LOTS of progress pics and build-step info on the link.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/remora/

Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Great  progress , Michael . I am getting close to priming mine . So I'm a long way behing you, not that that matters .

What will get me scratching my head is what colour to paint it . It looks as if you have already used most of the available Tamiya ones , and in order to not appear to be copying you I'll have to come up with something different . Still it'll give me a chance to use some colours that I don't usually have a need for .

What I will mention , is that where ever I can I have strengthened glue joints with brass rods . I have the feeling that the finished boat could be quite vulnerable to damage with all those sticky-out-bits (one of my technical terms) so I'm doing my best to make sure it stays glued . This may be standard practice for you , but as you haven't said anything about it in your instructions I thought I'd just mention it .

Nick

FichtenFoo

Thanks! Check out Ian's website for ideas... there's plenty of inspiration on it. As for available Tamiyas... I've used them, but I tend to custom mix so just about everything is a custom color. Plus I layer/mottle different colors to make the color appear more varied and worn. Really though, just do your favorite as ultimately it'll sit on your shelf. Before the blue/orange, I was going to do a construction yellow with black bow and stern. I just finished the fins on mine and they're black/yellow and/or red/white striped. Looks cool and I'll show pics next update.

Yeah, I'm pinning everything. Makes tacking it together for pics easier and like you said, for support. Plus I need to ship Ian his broken-down so it'll make it easier on him to rebuild. If you look close at the fin holes and the bow/stern, you can see pin-holes I drilled for the lights and fins.
Chicks dig giant robots.