• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

(finally) getting inspired!

Started by lab-dad, December 04, 2011, 04:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Miniature engineering and realism of the highest quality -great stuff -keep feeding us more.
Barney

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
The cast paint is just primer and refer grey
The pulleys were polished on the lathe (boy did I f%^k up the large one! twisted it to sh&t)
The polished steel surfaces is AK interactive dark steel powder.
Glad you all found it interesting/enjoyable.
-Marty

rckwallaby

Congratulations Marty.

Absolutely stunning detailed work.

Now you gotta actually use it to make all the rest of your models in the future !

Still inspired ?

Cheers
Phil Morrow

michael mott

QuotePublish?..printing?...dude, that's so yesterday....it's already on Facebook.

Marc,..... when all the lights go out there will always be BOOKS. they are so tomorrow it is not even funny!! :P

cheers michael

artizen

I do hope the Facebook splash has Worcester spelt correctly. (As I am from just east of there - Bromsgrove.)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

shropshire lad

Quote from: artizen on February 26, 2012, 10:46:45 PM
I do hope the Facebook splash has Worcester spelt correctly. (As I am from just east of there - Bromsgrove.)

Just to be pedantic , it's more North than East .

Andi Little

Quote from: michael mott on February 26, 2012, 09:06:17 PM
Marc,..... when all the lights go out there will always be BOOKS. they are so tomorrow it is not even funny!! :P
cheers michael

Apologies to all you bright young things ................. But I've got to stand in Michaels queue - being a dyed in the wool dinosaur you understand?
KBO..................... Andi.

artizen

Actually it was an oblique reference to my new 4mm plank called West of Bromsgrove. Which is anywhere on the GWR with an obscure name but unfortunately Upton Snodbury is too far south so maybe I will settle for Commins Coch.

Getting back on topic again, the concept of getting laser cut letters and a template to apply them with, is something I would like to explore on my upcoming 1:12 plank for the nameplates on the loco etc. Beats hand lettering or printouts or even waiting six months for a brass etching.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
Brisbane, Australia

lab-dad

Jesus Christ Artizen!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o
I thought I had spelled Worcester wrong on the model!!!!!!!
You gave me a heart attack!
See dave at vectorcut for any letters!
-Marty

Chuck Doan

That is just spectacular Marty! It should make a great centerpiece on your no doubt upcoming diorama. 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

artizen

I am sure Dave of Vector Cut would not knowingly let a template out of his sight with a spelling error! I don't want anyone on this site or this build having heart attacks - but the catalogue page is so good that the single word spelt incorrectly just jumped out at me because I used to live near there! Mind you, Worcester was a bit posh - we lived in Bromsgrove because my dad was able to afford to buy land and build his own house there. Still standing too - drove past it the other day on Google!
Ian Hodgkiss
Brisbane, Australia

JESTER

Does it matter what primer color you use with these powders? Did you seal them with anything?

Thanks, great build!!

-

Quote from: lab-dad on February 26, 2012, 01:51:37 PM
The polished steel surfaces is AK interactive dark steel powder.
-Marty

lab-dad

QuoteDoes it matter what primer color you use with these powders? Did you seal them with anything?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
For lighter silver use white or nothing at all on styrene.
On the bed i used the grey so the "steel" would be darker.
Compared to all the surfaces on my real machines the color/sheen/finish is a perfect match.

No, I did not seal it. Once it is on it is pretty hard to get off!
I dont expect too much touching of the parts anyways.

I found applying it with a Q-tip the best way to somewhat control it. It is VERY fine powder.
I also used my fingers to apply then polish it.
On the bed I used a microfiber for glass (very soft/fine) to polish.

-Marty

JESTER

Thanks for the info. I've always used Rub-N-Buff for metal finishes but this looks very cool!

-

Quote from: lab-dad on February 28, 2012, 08:17:51 AM
QuoteDoes it matter what primer color you use with these powders? Did you seal them with anything?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
For lighter silver use white or nothing at all on styrene.
On the bed i used the grey so the "steel" would be darker.
Compared to all the surfaces on my real machines the color/sheen/finish is a perfect match.

No, I did not seal it. Once it is on it is pretty hard to get off!
I dont expect too much touching of the parts anyways.

I found applying it with a Q-tip the best way to somewhat control it. It is VERY fine powder.
I also used my fingers to apply then polish it.
On the bed I used a microfiber for glass (very soft/fine) to polish.

-Marty

Junior

Brilliant work! Will we see the Death Valley Plymouth parked outside this enormous shop?

Anders