• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

(finally) getting inspired!

Started by lab-dad, December 04, 2011, 04:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I've been in a real slump lately, nothing really had me fired up.
Been talking things over with my buddy (Jerry Trains 1941) but not much I really felt like doing.
He has been bugging me to work on a machine shop.
I pulled out my Western scale 1:48 planer and then thought of doing one from scratch in a larger scale. I thought about 1:22.5 but finally decided on 1:16.
go big or go home! right?
I really enjoyed the scale when doing the Plymouth.
So by using the 1:48 parts and plans here is where i am after a good weekend.

overall length is 15" and height is 5 1/2" right now. The large pulley is 2"
Base is MDF, sides are styrene

I am able to build most parts and have almost enough pulleys.
BUT, I am at a loos how to make/find the "rack gear";
a long flat gear about .090 - .120" square. Any suggestions?
I know I could build one form triangle strips.....but that's a lot of work!

-Marty

eTraxx

I found this in an old printer .. it's about .160 wide but since is a rubber belt could be narrowed. If you have any old printers .. you might get lucky

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

My rule of thumb about scale: Small scales for layouts, large scales for models and dioramas.

If you build a layout you need as much mileage as possible per foot. You need as much impact as possible to wow people (or yourself) with a model.

Russ

Chuck Doan

This should be a nice model! Good suggestion Ed.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Thanks Ed, but i bet it would be a bitch to attach and paint.
The more I think about it I will likely end up milling my own.
I only need two, 4 1/2" long, shouldn't take more than an hour on the mill.
Would be a good candidate for rapid prototyping! Oh well.
-Marty

Seattle Dave

How about making an oversize (in length) trough that you could fill halfway with clay or the like, and then use a round gear to impress "teeth" into the flat surface?  You could then pour resin into the "form" and make your long flat toothed part.  The only real trick would be to find a round gear that was wide enough for your needs, although I have used multiple ones ganged together to beat that particular problem.
Dave VanderWal

Chuck Doan

Dave at Vector Cut might be able to stack laser cut strips from your artwork.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Dave, good idea!

Chuck, what artwork? ;D

-mj

Barney

Try some of the electronic companies like Maplins or http://www.motionco.co.uk/gears-racks-c-32_42.html they all do a wide range of racks and pinions and some are very fine.On my workshop drill stand I did it the long way flat strip and separate teeth - then of course I found these suppliers - that's life !
That's some inspiring work you are doing just keep it coming
Barney.

Mr Potato Head

What about RC parts? they have Rack n Pinion Steering, my local HS has tons of parts! do you want me to look for you?
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

WOW, those are small!
.020" and .040" that is amazing!
I'm gonna try and make my own, I think I can...................
Started playing with the setup today, we will see.
If not then i have a source!

Gil, I dont think the r/c stuff would work, plan "C"

-Marty

David King

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on December 06, 2011, 03:18:40 PM
What about RC parts? they have Rack n Pinion Steering, my local HS has tons of parts! do you want me to look for you?
MPH

Actually R/C cars use servos, no racks.   Stock Drive Products carries that kind of thing;

http://www.sdp-si.com/

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Well your off to a good start.  I think there wouldn't be a problem for you to make that part.  Or for that matter any part you need.
Hell you were crazy enogh to start this monster!!!! :D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Got the rack gears made last night!
Only took about 30 minutes.
I used .060" x .100" styrene.
Turned out great! Pics soon.
-Marty

finescalerr

Don't delay! Post today! Hurry! Offer limited! (Void where prohibited by law.) -- Russ