• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

blue top salvage

Started by 1-32, November 06, 2011, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

good morning all.
the blue top salvage company is slowly moving along -the main jobs have been adding foreground detail.i bought some bullrushes from scenic express.they are a bit plasticeky but when used with other folage mediums work well.there still seems a lot to do itis one of those models that will never be finished.
regards kim.

JESTER

Ken Hamilton

I just LOVE this model.
Great job!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Andi Little

An excellent, and veritable - visual feast.

KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Really filling in and coming together!

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

thanks everybody for the feedback and happy easter 2012
.one of the objectives of blue top salvage is to build a exhibition layout that is small enough that i can drag it around the country side and show.my first outing will be in october at a big exhibition here in sydney.my past experience of  showing is that you are so busy talking that you do,not have any time to look after the model,thus  the circle of track.just set and forget and have a chat.
this brings me to the subject of locoes in both 1-35 and 1-32 scale.commercially they are thin on the ground the slack is taken up by building your own or waiting for a professional loco builder to release a limited run.the late mick south of calgery -canada had the best collection of 1-32 locoes many of which were special orders.after his death 3 years ago his collection has vanished.anyway enough of the conspiracy theory.
at the moment i have three locoes in 1-32 but i need one of these to be a exhibition work horse that can run for hours without problems.
here is a picture of a malcom moore diesel that was a limited run kit produced by the model company new zealand ,it is made in pewter.

it is powered by a black beatle spud drive.i find it to be to big for my purposes as my other locoes are of the simplex variety that is small  open and fit the general feeling of blue top salvage .i want to bash it into something else .i have always liked the lister range but i feel that is a scratch build project my conclusion is to freelance the malcom moore.
anyway i will post some pics as to the progress .
regards kim

1-32

led strip lights.
here is another alternative to display lighting-led lights in strips

i have been looking at lights for my -blue top salvage.in the past i have been using daylight fluroes.great but bulky and heavy.one alternative that is coming more popular is leds in strips.each strip is 10 mm[about one half inch] wide and weighs nothing.12 volt no heat and flexible.there are different types the non daylight types are stronger. to get the same lux value as 1 30 watt fluro of the daylight type 2 strings together are recommended. i have tried this combination but i feel this is not true i looks a lot darker,maybe i have to re- think how i can use this flexible product to its best advantage.
regards kim

danpickard

G'Day Kim,
I've done a few experiments with similar LED strips a little while back, with the same goal, to reduce weight and bulk from a portable rig.  I also was less than satisfied with the lighting levels, especially when compared against the common daylight fluro tube.  Lighting is always a debatable subject with models and railway layouts...the fluro does throw plenty of light, perhaps too much, and washes out colour a bit, but it does leave an even field for easy viewing and general photography.  Spot lighting may give a better result from a photography perspective, but doesn't serve as well as a general purpose light, especially with the varied environments of an exhibition layout.  I'm probably planning on using compact fluro globes for my next piece...saves a bit of bulk over the fluro tube, but also avois the fluro hum, which can do my head in sometimes. 

I'm probably going to use the LED strips I collected for some underbench storage lighting, or camping applications, but unfortunately not on my model railway efforts.

Cheers,
Dan

artizen

Kim - I've sent you an email.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

1-32

hi all at the moment i am moving on from the lights and getting  back into building details

the objects above have just been painted in either water or oil based paints.as soon as the oil based paint has dried i will knock back the gloss.materials used wood paper wire and styrene.i will post a update when they have been installed in there finished position.it should be interesting as to there effect .
regards kim

1-32

good morning everybody
in my last post i showed a number of bits and pieces that i had made ready to be installed.
in this post i will show their position on blue top salvage.
the first 2 photoes are of a small light box style diorama that is installed under the factory.both frount and back view.

this is three shots of the hydrolic bridge at the frount of the model materials used styrene

this is the position of the ships funnel under the travelling crane

and the last 2 photoes are of old skiff on the first level and the work station over the stern of the boat complete with trestles

artizen

This layout has a wonderful Heath-Robinson feel to it. Amazing amount of detail and whacky pieces all stuffed into a very small area!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

danpickard

G'Day Kim,
This pprject is just growing wonderfully.  Such a complex collection of individual pieces, where as cluttered as if seems, each piece seems to have a legitimate reason for being part of that great mess.  There are plenty of opportunities to "look through" the collection and see the rear sections, which I think adds well to the depth of such a small scene.  That lift bridge makes for a nice focal point at the front of the layout as well. So many changes of angle, keeps the eyes going for some time.  I like when a small footprint like this is able to keep the viewer busy for a good length of time with so much to find a read into the story.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Dan

1-32

good morning all
when i think about it i loved heath robinson all those logically complicated scenes quite different from the design trends that  were started in europe post ww2.there was a similar gentleman in the usa- rube goldberg.
it is  getting a bit fragile inside blue top salvage all that styrene.on aspect that i would love to add is signage if possible hand graphics there are very few digital examples that work for me.anyway there are more stuff that i will add as the mood takes .
kind regards kim