• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

blue top salvage

Started by 1-32, November 06, 2011, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

good morning everybody after a extensive research period let it be known that my new model will be called -blue top salvage.i like the name.anyway it is still being built but it is taking shape.
in summery the items that have been added.
1-under the travelling crane is the frame section of the stern of the "james craig"the drawings of this 1930 light house tender are on the net.it is being re-built here in sydney and after 10 years it will be finished in 2013.a referance picture is included.the frame is cut out of styrene with a piercing saw.
2-i am adding lights around the factory.they are tude design which are in keeping with the 1970,s.after looking around i am using a ho scale variety from a german company-viessmann.they are a hard thing to find and seen to not exist in any other scale.they work
3-i have added a platform on top to the shipping contaner i will store items from the travelling crane .
4-i have taken the shed off the top level and added a 20000 litre poly water tank instead.again styrene.
5-added a chemical wash out basin to frount of the contaner.
6-on going work on the back scene.i have taken out a row of grass right at the back and trimed the folage .the tecknique i am using to stop shadows on the backscene is to airbrash a back shadow to absorb the outline of passing trains .
anyway here are some pictures- kim

artizen

I see your lady has now gone into the shed! As if she would enjoy swimming in that turgid water anyway (ie realistic).
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

danpickard

Ian,
She still appears to be there, basking in all here glory in the tropical setting of the marine salvage yard :D

Kim,
It continues to become a really nice, and quite clever, little scene.  Despite maybe toning back the colour a bit from your previous projects, there is still a certain colour intensity to the scene here that I associate as a bit of your signature.  As a bit of a link on this scene with some discussions on other threads, yes, it is cluttered, but it looks like sensible organised and clutter, a bit like the the reference shot on the other thread.  There appears a logical reason for why junk and parts are where they are.   Little things, like the shipping container becoming a site storeshed, with the added luxuries of the wash stand, and then the need for more storage, so the addition of the roof platform, all make sense to the composition of the scene.  Even though the scene is considerably compressed, it still has a good degree of plausibility to it.

Thanks for sharing the updates, and I oneday hope to see it in person.

Cheers,
Dan

1-32

here is the referance for the container
most of my referance for my projects have come from a area of sydney harbour called rozelle bay.this bay is where that put all the crap of a working harbour.well sydney harbour is a no longer a working harbour and the local residences complained about all the crap. was lucky enough to get in before they sent in the cleaners,
cheers kim

marc_reusser

Very Cool. Love all the unique and scratchbuilt details.....and I really like the muddy water.

Thanks for posting this.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

That's a really interesting and unusual scene Kim!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

1-32

thank you all for past ,present and future comments.if anybody wants any information please just ask.checking out this site i feel that you all a into your own thing there are some amazing modellers here.
cheers kim

jacq01

Kim,

a great little dio.
   The only thing that is bothering me is the depth of the water. The plants and growth around the piles and crane supports do not suggest deep enough water, p.e. for the barge.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on November 07, 2011, 08:36:14 AM

Kim,

a great little dio.
   The only thing that is bothering me is the depth of the water. The plants and growth around the piles and crane supports do not suggest deep enough water, p.e. for the barge.

Jacq

The tide's out !

1-32

yep good call on the water depth.the way i look at it is that a barges draft of about 12 inches[300mm] and it would easily float in a silted up industral lagoon.reeds are a bit like weeds they grow anywhere and around the wooden piles there would be enough silt and crap to keep them growing
cheers kim

okiecrip

that is a great little scene i really like it
gary wise

1-32

hi all christmas is nearly here it seems that it was just yesterday that we all had 2010 greetings.i have been slowly building and changing the module.most of my work has been done on the central bage.i have trying to get the mud and the deck of the barge to blend in.the steps from the whalf have been added and the next progrect is to add a big rusting propeller to the ship frame.
anyway all the best kim.

Junior

Very well done with many interesting details. Interesting concept as well!

Anders  ;D

1-32

hello .
blue top salvage is a great hobby item ,it has supplied me with years worth of enjoyment and promises years to come.one of the projects that i have started on is the barge on the right hand of the scene it is silted into the bank.my initial idear was to re -cycle one of my caravans onto the barge.i have changed my mind and have opted for a small contaner for a living area with a porta loo[portable toilet] .it is quite amazing how many designs there are of porta loos,the shape remains about  the same but there is a lot  of different castings and colours .i also have to incorprate a pre- residental industral use of the barge,i will keep you posted .
cheers kim

Frederic Testard

I love this model, Kim. There's a lot of good modelling in a rather small, very dedicated scene, with the many elements contributing to build the mood. This is not conceptual modelling, but modelling with a concept, as Anders said.
Frederic Testard