• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Weathering Reference Photos

Started by RoughboyModelworks, January 29, 2008, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Found the attached image on one of the stock photo sites I frequent and thought it worth posting. It's a good reference for rusted steel, peeling paint and weathered masonry. The image is an HDR (High Dynamic Range) or pseudo HDR image which is the reason for the odd feel to the image. Simply put an HDR image is a composite of several slightly different exposures of the same subject which are assembled into the final image. The purpose is to present full dynamic range in an image with no blown-out highlights or filled-in shadows. A larger version of the photo is published on the Roughboy Forum. http://www.roughboy.net/index.php

Bill

John McGuyer

Excellent study. So many different textures and materials.

John

TRAINS1941

Beautiful example of weathering in so many textures.  Thanks for the pictures.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

macsair

How long do ya suppose it took it to get that way.............?  Nice piece to copy when ha have some spare time, course you have to build the unit first.!!  Thank's for the post..

RoughboyModelworks

Here are 4 more shots by the same photographer, again all HDR images. There are a couple of super peeling paint on wood shots here plus lots of rust ? all good reference shots. The photographer is Jascha Hoste of Groningen, NL. I have no specifics but assume the subject matters are from the same region. A lot of the photos are of derelict industrial sites and buildings with a few railroad subjects included. Larger versions of the photos are published on the Roughboy Forum http://www.roughboy.net/index.php

Bill

RoughboyModelworks

Ok, here's another one, excellent underframe shot of a truck or bogie - appears to be European or perhaps British. Boy, could we use more photos like this. I have a much larger version of this if anyone's interested.

Bill

John McGuyer

Sure would like some underframe shots like that of narrow gauge boxcars.

John

marc_reusser

Bill,

Great pics, Thanks. Especially like that large wheel and bearing. Art in itself.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Belg

Bill, stopped by the blog to check out these pics in larger size and had no luck finding them, I did a search for the artist name and that didn't work, am really looking forward to seeing the continuing series on modeling tools. The marking knife was next on the list and wonder when this might be up? Congrats on finding new employment in such tough times, hope all works out for you guys, Pat