• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Scale & Larger; Diorama and Detail Parts & Accessories

Started by Malachi Constant, July 16, 2011, 04:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Oh Contraire my good buddy? Or as Lee Corso says: "not so fast my friend"!
I saw this thread on July 17th  and was enamored with these detail parts, and was not concerned with the length of time to order the parts. I have ordered parts from Lucky models before, and never had a problem. My new philosophy is: if there's a kit or parts available? Order them, if you use them great if not you can sell um or trade them again someday,........ But it's a lot harder to acquire old out of production kits, so strike when the iron is hot, I say! (hey it's great for the world economy)
With that in mind: I followed the link and placed my order for Factory tools Set 1, and I received an order conformation within 24 hours and a shipping conformation within 48 hours and They were in my mail box today a mere 8 working days after I ordered them, considering its half way around the world? That's pretty fast to me! 
I highly recommend that you order early and often, just as long as I get mine first! LOL
MPH
Building a 1:32 Empire in Idaho
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

MPH -- Thanks!  I've heard good things about Lucky Model ... figure my order just hit them when they were awaiting a restock of those ...

Meanwhile, here's another item with some potential ... I'm biased toward automotive stuff with the slowly-progressing repair shop underway.  New kit from MasterBox has a detailed engine, chassis, option for doors open/closed, windows up/down, sedan/cabriolet, etc:

http://www.mbltd.info/35100.htm

This page has photos of the parts, proto pix of the actual car & engine compartment:
http://inscale.org/pub/index.php?topic=1567.0

I might need one or two to "raid for parts" then maybe another one in some state of repair or disrepair!  ;D

PS -- It IS a German prototype ... but I'm not that fussy ...  more interested in the level of detail than, say, an obvious Chevy/Ford ... at least until the selection improves.  ;)

PPS -- I really DON'T expect this to turn into a VEHICLE thread ... but something like this with all the various chassis components can become a source of detail bits ... separate doors, hoods, chassis, motor = junkyard, repairs, etc.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on July 30, 2011, 09:19:26 PM
MPH -- Thanks!  I've heard good things about Lucky Model ... figure my order just hit them when they were awaiting a restock of those ...

Meanwhile, here's another item with some potential ... I'm biased toward automotive stuff with the slowly-progressing repair shop underway.  New kit from MasterBox has a detailed engine, chassis, option for doors open/closed, windows up/down, sedan/cabriolet, etc:

http://www.mbltd.info/35100.htm

This page has photos of the parts, proto pix of the actual car & engine compartment:
http://inscale.org/pub/index.php?topic=1567.0

I might need one or two to "raid for parts" then maybe another one in some state of repair or disrepair!  ;D

PS -- It IS a German prototype ... but I'm not that fussy ...  more interested in the level of detail than, say, an obvious Chevy/Ford ... at least until the selection improves.  ;)

PPS -- I really DON'T expect this to turn into a VEHICLE thread ... but something like this with all the various chassis components can become a source of detail bits ... separate doors, hoods, chassis, motor = junkyard, repairs, etc.

Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas ,

For me modelling Post-War German industrial narrow gauge this is just the sort of thing I would be looking for . In addition to the ever increasing number of lorry kits that are becoming available ,there are a number of similar car kits out there that would be quite suitable for me . I already have a Bronco Light saloon ( I forget which vehicle it is based on ) , the ubiquitous Tamiya Opel Blitz and a Azimut Productions resin Ford 917G truck so I'm well set up . Just need to find time to build them .

Thanks for posting this information ,

Nick

Malachi Constant

Nick -- Glad that might be useful to you ... along those lines:

Mini-Art has announced two versions of the two-door version of the Mercedes 170:

http://miniart-models.com/index.htm?/Catalogue.htm

(look under 1/35 WWII Miniatures)

And ICM has a couple of plastic kits that might suit ... the German-built version of a Ford truck and a lovely Opel cabriolet:

http://www.icm.com.ua/catalogue/technics/tscale135/

Those Mini-Art items aren't out yet, but you can surf around and find reviews, parts photos, etc for the ICM kits.  For example, the V3000S truck:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5823

That's another one that looks like a good "parts source" in addition to being a useful truck ... base for a tow truck, etc.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Krusty

Paul Napier has just sent me this promo photo of a newly-announced Trumpeter 1:35 kit. Ooooh Shiny. me want. Crawler running gear, louvre panel mouldings, radiator, headlights -- lotsa useful bits.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Gordon Ferguson

Yup I'm in the Que for this as well ........... believe the S65 is just about a straight copy of the Cat 60 ................ release date is hopefully Feb 2012
Gordon

Krusty

Quotebelieve the S65 is just about a straight copy of the Cat 60

The older versions of the S60 certainly were -- see the Plus Models resin kits -- but this machine looks to me more to be "inspired by" mid-30s Cats. It's somewhat different when you start comparing details and, I think, larger than a Cat 60. Probably best thought of as raw material for freelancing rather than as the base for a truly accurate model of a western tractor.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

marc_reusser

Picked this up today. Umbrella would work as a larger sun shade umbrella  for on a dozer or critter in 1/48.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Carlo

Hi, gang -

I'm looking for a supplier of pipe fittings for 1' scale; elbows, unions, valves, faucets, etc.
Parts to use with various diameter pipes will be needed, for indoor plumbing use,
in-the-wall pipes, not chrome bathroom/kitchen stuff.
Brass would be perfect, white metal is good, but plastic OK too.
Do any "doll house" outfits sell this stuff? Online?

Also, if I were to cast some of my own in white resin, what would be a good
paint/finish technique to make it look like brass or bronze?

Thanks for your help,
Carlo

marc_reusser

I don't know of any pre-made fittings off-hand. Try searching on the web. Some of the larger O-scale PSC locomotive pipe fittings might be useable/adaptable for limited use. You could easlu make many of your own using styrene. Plastruct makes a number of elbow and pipe type pieces, that could possibly be used...or serve as a base for bashing/scratching some. (You will need to look at the full Plastruct catalog, and likely special order them, because the store displays rarely if ever carry/show these parts)

Insofar as coloring, have a look at how Michael Fichtenmayer painted the copper on his Fish Submersible build here in the forum...sim techniques could be used for brass. Paints such as Alclad and Gunze and Rub-n-Buff would IMO all be good osolutions or starting points for brass coloring.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Scratchman

Ozark Miniatures has pipe fittings in soft metal. Trackside Details has some great pipe fittings and valves in brass.    http://www.tracksidedetails.com/

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

compressor man

Is everyone familiar with the Italeri field tool set? Some good stuff for ~$12 or so.

Chris

shropshire lad

I have mentioned this British company in passing on a few occasions but decided that it was time to give them the dignity of a more formal announcement . Diorama Debris http://www.dioramadebris.co.uk/index.asp basically make silicon moulds to make bricks , tiles and paving from . At the moment the two scales that they have moulds for are 1:16th and 1:35th , with the latter having by far the greater choice . This will soon be augmented by some new moulds to make bricks in either 1/48th or 1/43.5th scales . It is essentially the same mould but will make 1/48th scale standard German bricks or 1/43.5th scale standard British bricks . It have been suggested to them that  moulds to make 24" x 12" slates in each of those scales might be worth considering as well . Incidentally , with the new brick mould you can make bricks with or without frogs . Frogs in 1/48th scale bricks ? That's insane . Look at the photos if you don't believe me . Whether anyone is mad , sorry , I mean courageous , enough to construct a whole building out of them time will tell , but they would make great junk/rubble piles .

In 1/35th scale there are a number of products in the pipeline that hopefully will come to fruition .As well as the Spanish barrel roof tiles that they already have on their website they will be producings a mould to make pantiles ( similar to the one's on Per Olav Lund's The Backyard diorama ) , beavertail and half round plain tiles . Apart from the Spanish tiles these are more of a European product but as their main market is the military modelling one this is to be expected .

There is also talk of producing moulds to make cinder/breeze/concrete , call them what you will , blocks in 1/35th scale and I'm sure if there is the demand possibly in 1/16th scale as well .

However , for me the most exiting new mould is one to make rows of Flemmish bond brickwork . This , quite literally , speeds up construction by tenfold . This I have proved with my present project . It took me 7 sessions to lay 900 individual bricks in my old way using HO stripwood as mortar joint spacers . With the new moulds I was able to lay over 1700 bricks in my first session . I have so far laid over 5000 bricks in the same time as the original 900 . The joke is , they look like strips of Lego bricks because they are moulded with spacer blocks to speed up construction .

Even if you never buy from this company you still will find lots of useful tips and help on casting on their website .

Nick

shropshire lad

By the way , this bit of brickwork , in 1/35th scale , was done by one of the owners of the company who is not a modeller . And she's a girl as well . So there is no excuse for us tough chaps not to have a go !

Nick