• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

In-ko-pah RR -- Bakery finally finished!

Started by Ray Dunakin, June 22, 2011, 06:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

In October 2009 I added the third building to my town. However, it was unfinished -- there were no signs or interior details. At first I had planned to make it a dress shop, but couldn't work up any enthusiasm for modeling the details.

Eventually I decided to turn it into a bakery, with an upstairs residence. At long last, it's finally finished:

This area seemed to need something extra, and a swamp cooler was just the ticket! I scratch-built it from stryene. The vents are actually made of small scale clapboard siding. I'm not sure if it's HO or N scale, but the spacing is .030". Then I added strips of .010" thick styrene. The wooden support platform is also made from styrene, textured and painted to look like old wood. I also repainted to corrugated metal roof, giving it a coat of white paint with a little rust showing through. I wimped out on the upstairs residence interior -- there are only a few simple details inside, with dim lights and lace curtains hiding most of the interior.

The bakery interior is fully detailed and lighted:

If you look closely, you can see pink pastry boxes on the shelves. The small, highly detailed cakes in the window were purchased from a doll house supplier, but the large cake and everything else was scratch-built.

There are loaves of bread wrapped in cellophane on the shelves here. The one small, highly detailed cake in the window is from a doll house supplier, but bread rolls and large cakes were scratch-built.

The bakery is named Cora's Cakes, after one of our grand-daughters.

The door to the upstairs residence is at the side, between the bakery and the rock shop.

Also, I paved the road in front of the buildings:

And I've created a new improved webpage for my Dos Manos buildings. There's a photo of the town, and you can click on each building in the photo to see detailed reports of how the buildings were constructed plus additional photos of the completed structure:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html

Enjoy!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Very nice, Ray.

I'm going to head over to your site for more details.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Malachi Constant

Will stop by for donuts in the morning ... looks like a great selection of goodies ... details, lighting and light fixtures all look great.  Cheers, Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Really nice Ray, great job on the cooler. The lit interior shots are especially appealing.

Ray Dunakin

Thanks. Someday I'd like to try a swamp cooler with one side open, so you can see the "innards". I thought about doing that on this model but I still haven't figured out how to make, or where to buy, the tiny louvers.

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I hope Cora's baked goodies are fresher than the paint job on her store. Nice work. -- Russ

JohnP

I'm hungry now.

I like the lighting with those nice fixtures. Well done!

John
John Palecki

Chuck Doan

That whole grouping of buildings is very effective Ray. The cooler is a nice touch. That up angle night shot is really great!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

Ray... that's a Very nice group of buildings, and thanks for the great SBS they are very informative. Are you planing to add more buildings to this group?

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ken Hamilton

Beautiful job, Ray...and the photography really brings it to life.
Nice one.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Junior

Beautiful work Ray! Is that female figure an American Indian? Great looking figures and very nicely painted - where do you get them?

Anders ;D

Ray Dunakin

Thanks!

Gordon -- Yes I plan to add several more buildings. A hotel for sure, possibly a bank, a small diner, etc.

Anders -- I made the figures myself. The couple is patterned after me and my wife.

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Figures.html

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hi Ray,

I am doing well and figures themselves had already seen your figures on your web site.
Do you not report the preparation of the figures?
I use 2 K and plastic body parts from Preiser.

But your work is really excellent and I like it.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Junior

Thanks for the  link Ray - hadnĀ“t seen that before therefore my questions. Really cool work on the figures!

Anders  ;D

Frederic Testard

Very nice, Ray. The night shot of the entrance between the two buildings has a special flavour, I think.
Frederic Testard