• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bigelow Street, Cambridge MA

Started by nk, June 04, 2011, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk

Thanks guys. Ken, Yes this is another wall hanger. I have a couple of D-rings insstalled on the back to keep is sucurely hanging. Chuck, my friend's gardening abilities are minimal, so they did all the work, I just copied! BKLN it sounds like you went to Harvard or MIT is that right?

This one of Bigelow Street, Cambridge MA is finally finished. I added the last little details

Here are the garden hose, Pepsi bottle and a hummus lid

The street sign anchor that trips unwary pedestrians

and a shot of the road patch showing the specular reflection from the sealant around the edge. I am very happy to have captured this particular feature

The next two dios are drawn up and I will be starting them this coming weekend....stay tuned
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

BKLN

Quote from: nk on August 24, 2011, 07:51:41 AMBKLN it sounds like you went to Harvard or MIT is that right?

That was a good guess, but I actually worked in Boston for a while.

I like the Pepsi bottle a lot.

Ken Hamilton

You continue to dazzle us with this stuff, N.
Another museum piece.  Can't wait to see it in person.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

DaKra

The Pepsi bottle is great!   The diameter of garden hose just looks a bit narrow, relative to the bottle.

Dave

nk

Quote from: DaKra on August 24, 2011, 08:58:06 AM
The diameter of garden hose just looks a bit narrow, relative to the bottle.

Dave, I think that there are a couple of issues here, the first being my crummy photography. In person, there doesn't look to be an issue in the scale of the hose. Also the Pepsi bottle is a big family sized bottle, not a fist sized slug. And lastly you are right, the hose is 0.1mm to narrow in diameter in scale which comes out to 0.09" too narrow in full size, which didn't seem a lot to me... Next time, I'll make sure to be bang on in my measurements!

finescalerr

Please be sure to shoot a few more photos of the overall diorama when it is hanging on the wall. And, while you are at it, be more forthcoming about the upcoming dioramas. This one has turned out to be most satisfactory. -- Russ

EZnKY

Great work!  You can see things most people tune out.  That's a special gift.  Or curse, depending on your point of view.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! How did you do the crushed Pepsi bottle? It looks very authentic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

Thanks Russ. I'll get some snaps once its up on the wall. If you are in Boston, I have a couple of works on the wall in the Fogg's staff art show at the moment you could see in person. Russ the next two dios are: 1. 53rd Street outside MoMA, Manhattan and 2. The curved curb outside 121 Innerbelt Road Somerville, MA.

Eric, thanks. I definitely spend too much time looking at the ground!

Ray, I made the Pepsi bottle out of a piece of mylar. I cut it to the right size for a scale bottle, and then chewed up the mylar with a pair of pliers, to give it the the right dimpled texture. Then I made it into a cylinder and chewed it up some more with the pliers, and shaped it as it was being chewed. I twisted one end so that it looked like the squashed neck. I scanned a label and reduced it to the right size on Photoshop and printed it on a colour printer, cut it out, thinned the paper and stuck it onto the plastic bottle with some Elmer's white glue, and shaped it with tweezers. I took a thin little bit of yellow plastic and stuck it to the neck, so that it looks like the lid seal. It ended up taking about half an hour of fooling around. I wish I were more organised, like Ken Hamilton, and took photos as I was going so that I could post a step-by-step...next time.