• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi Little

Quote from: shropshire lad on May 27, 2013, 09:10:56 AM

Does the question mark on issue 5 mean that they don't know what will be in it yet ?

There was no subscription renewal form with my last issue , does that mean I have to go through the whole palava again to get the next four issues ? I guess it does ,

Nick

What he said !!

KBO..................... Andi.

Alexandre

Quote from: Andi Little on May 27, 2013, 10:54:33 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on May 27, 2013, 09:10:56 AM

Does the question mark on issue 5 mean that they don't know what will be in it yet ?

Nick

What he said !!

Hi gentlemen.
Issue #5 will be about mud effects and techniques.  :)
(BTW, there's always the subject of the next issues written at the very end of the current issue)

finescalerr

It always bothers me when a publisher already knows what will be in his next issue. I never know what will be in mine -- or whether I will have enough material!!! -- Russ

marc_reusser

Because each issue of TWM deals with one specific subject....and how different modelers aproach different aspects of that subject......they have created a topic list, and in what order, for a good number of future issues. This also helps when you want to contribute, or when they approach you, as you can see the upcoming subject(s)/topic (s)and work towards that end. I can only believe it can also help in producing the mag, and making sure that they have enough articles/contributors.

For me, the fact that there is a tighter timeline (rather than the once per year which allows my mind and interest to wander too much) and the supplied subject make it easier for me to focus and push through. They also do a good bit of follow-up and contact during the article time period...prodding to make sure everyone is on the ball and will hit the deadline.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Then you just talked yourself into a lifetime position with Westlake Publishing. Your new job is to determine the content of each future book and to round up the authors and articles. While you are busy with that I will cavort with beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to my every whim. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on May 28, 2013, 11:59:10 AM
While you are busy with that I will cavort with beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to my every whim. -- Russ

Which will become less demanding with each passing year , until in the end all they'll need to do is wipe the dribble from your chin !

Yes , I know , I'm going ....

michael mott

QuoteYes , I know , I'm going ....

Should I leave the corner first ;D ;D ;D

Michael

shropshire lad

Quote from: michael mott on May 29, 2013, 04:18:51 PM

QuoteYes , I know , I'm going ....

Should I leave the corner first ;D ;D ;D

Michael

Oh no , we have lots of corners around here for us naughty boys . It's the place to be .

marc_reusser

Was able to squeeze in some time and finish the basic part of the first wall section (about 300 brick pieces). Went through a couple of design modifications in the process....nice thing about working with paper is that you can easily hack away and reconfigure.

The surfaces are intentionally nicked and roughed up in areas, these will show as some texture variation/chips/damage when painted. The uneven setteing depth of some of the bricks is also intentional. All based on the reference images I am using for inspiration.

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Even at this stage they look good!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Quotenice thing about working with paper is that you can easily hack away and reconfigure.

Yea, you don't have to dip the whole thing in Di-Sol to remove the paint when you decide you don't like the color! :D

-Mj

TRAINS1941

Very nice.  I love the coloring.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Adequate at this stage. -- Russ

mad gerald

Marc,

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 04, 2013, 04:59:39 AM
Was able to squeeze in some time and finish the basic part of the first wall section (about 300 brick pieces) ...
... as it seems pretty tricky to get hold on you via e-mail, I'd like to ask here if your file/drawing of bricks could be up-scaled (i. e. 1/16  ::)) ... and if you don't mind: what did the graphics shop charged for lasering one sheet?

BTW: Looks already very promising ... but not quite sure regarding the corner stones - could we have a close up?

Cheers

marc_reusser

Thanks Guys.

Gerald, My apologies about the email, I did see it, and meant to respond...but am so busy with work emails, that any non-work ones unfortunately quickly drop down the page, dissapear, and are then forgotten.

The bricks file could easily be scaled up. Unfortunately I started this idea/project over a year ago, and at that time only did a quick ACAD file for the cutter, and then discarded it. It was basivally just a couple of different simple grids (one for brick ends, one for brick sides, and one for corner bricks), with the different color lines corresponding to different cut depths (I E all the way through for most areas, partial way through for connecting tabs, and light score, for corner brick interior side cut/fold marking.

Because of the time that has passed, I do not really recall what he charged me; I believe it was around $30-40 (maybe I posted it somewhere at the beginning of this thread), which gave me an 8.5" x 11" sheet  (was based on cutting time...and would have been less if I had less bricks/lines, thinner material, and was less picky about the quality).  For the price I actually ended up with almost 2 sheets, as he did one to as a test piece..that sheet has some flaws, but the pieces can still be used in areas, or cut for smaller brick pieces. The shop that did it for me was not a specialty shop., it was just the local graphics/art supply store across from the art college, that happens to have a laser cutter, 3D-rapid prototype machine, large format printers, and some other stuff...they mostly do stuff for the students...so the quality is okay/good...but not "Swiss". ;D

I will have to take a close-up pic of the corner pieces with my real camera. Will post it when I shoot the next photo(s).

M-Works