• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My coal mine scale 1:22.5

Started by Design-HSB, May 05, 2011, 05:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

Quote from: 1-32 on January 17, 2019, 12:17:44 AM
hi, Helmut I would like to share some photos of your amazing models.
A while ago I had the opportunity to visit Helmut in Germany and spent some time in his workshop there was so much but here are 3 items that I feel sum up Helmuts amazing skill. cheers Helmut. But there is so much more it is the friendly collaboration that Helmut, Frithjof and Volker have that makes all the difference they help each other in an equal and complimentary way .i personally feel that is a great privilege to know each of them.
cheers Kim

HI Kim,

You are welcome to share photos of my work.

Just a shame that you live so far away, but you are always welcome in our circle and it is also a great pleasure for me to know you.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Inspiration - I have  always been a believer of those little bits and pieces  that make a model better
Barney

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Happy,

I have never built a tree before and after I wasn't satisfied with everything there was to buy, I set out to build my very first tree.

Here, 170 m 0.4 mm connective wire is in the works for a tree blanh of 500 mm height.

After the finished turn out, I soldered the twisted wires.
Then I sheathed the trunk and thick branches with a flexible terrain spatula and then painted it.
The birch trees at the monastery tunnel had a strong moss growth and, of course, even stronger on the weather side. I took that into account when painting, of course.

I started unloading at the top, as it can be seen less in the complex later.

For the unloading, a matte birch holiday used spring from Mininatur for large scales.

From the mat I cut myself in fiber direction about 30 mm wide strips.
From these stripes I cut off the right piece for each individual branch and glued it to the branches with tesa multipurpose glue.
The adhesive is solvent free and water soluble. I consumed about 0.3 m ² of birch leaves.

The construction of my first tree has given me many happy model building hours. This means that the afforestation of the Klosterstollen model can continue to be operated.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Really nice! Great job on the wire armature.

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

No green vests. That's a Health and Safety violation.  10 minutes in the penalty box (corner). :P

finescalerr

Why are those little men trying to bury your beautiful tree? -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hello Lawston, in Germany needs to be worn in work without machines, on plots, no warning vests.

HI Russ, the workers are supposed to dig planting holes, for another greening.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bill Gill

Helmut, That's a very good first tree! I need hundreds of bare winter trees for one side of my layout. I am planning on making a few wire trees that will get the attention of the viewer but the others will be less detailed so that there is a chance of completing them all.
I meant to ask earlier. Is that a 3D printed basket that the workers are using or is it a real basket?

Design-HSB

HI Bill,

Thank you for your feedback and the basket is woven from 0.2mm copper wire in 2 gorgeous relaxing days and then brooded.
The basket belongs to a crab cutter and serves there at the mast as a daily signal of trawling fishermen.

The twisting and turning of wire is about a third of the work, another third is needed for the coating, molding and dyeing of trunk and branches.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

The wire armature for the tree is certainly an "old school" method of making the core of the tree.  I have recycled electrical cords which have reached the end of their useful life because of the fine wire in them which makes them so flexible.  A touch of heat and solder near the base keeps everything from unraveling.   
     Once the core is roughed out, I cover it with brown florist's tape and then pose and paint it.  The tape gives a good base texture for the bark and unless it is close up fine enough for me using a mixture of artist's paints and Gesso I just paint it.  Still need to be able to carve a heart and initials into the bark in 1:48 scale. 

Design-HSB

HI Lawton,

thank you for the recognition and suggestions. Yes twisting wires is old school and I still think the best method. Since I had no old copper cables I took iron binding wire that I had. This goes very well and even has an advantage of the thin wire is not quite as flexible and 0.4 mm wire fits very well with me on a scale of 1:22.5. Only I have built a birch and the cracking in birch bark goes ehr not and beech seem to me most suitable. Since all the trees on the "Klosterstollen" actually have their wildly total, there are actually no beech trees.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

In the smaller scales the electrical cord works fairly well.  One can use florist's wire which comes in a variety of sizes as the core for strength and carry the finer wires out to the branches.  Now that super glues are available everywhere the cheaper ones can be used to stiffen the armature's trunk. 

I  feel that probably the most difficult tree to model would be a Willow.  The long slender branches cascading out from the trunk would be the challenge.

Ray Dunakin

The basket is hand-woven? Amazing!

One of these days I want to experiment with using wire to model some of the desert shrubs for my railroad, such as creosote bush. These are common in the area I'm modeling but so far I've found no easier way to represent them.

Ray Dunakin's World