• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Compared Wood Weathering Techniques

Started by mad gerald, April 27, 2011, 04:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'day all,

I permanently try to improve my modelling skills to approach finescale modelling ...  ;D

So I recently re-tried two different wood weathering techniques, to compare the results I can achieve using them:

One method (left), similar to the one used i. e. by Marcel Ackle, the other method (right) similar to the one used i. e. by Marc Reusser.

Therefore I took two limewood strips.

Left:
1. softly treated with a wire brush
2. coloured with instant stain (first darkgray, then "my special blend": 2 parts "oak dark", 1 part "dark gray" and 3 parts water
3. coated with highly watered down water colour (mainly white, with a little black/gray), followed (wet in wet) by another coat of green and/or brown watercolour, dabbing the woodstrip gently with a tissue in case of using too much water
4. coated with turpentine, left nearly half a day in the sun for drying
5. coloured with acrylic paint (wet in wet): carmine red, mahogany brown, black and white
6. using masking tape to remove little areas of the acrylic paint again
7. finishing with some coat of highly watered down water colour again (shades of gray, white, brown and green)

right
1. softly treated with a wire brush
2. coloured with cheap acrylic paint (as I don't have vallejos): greenish brown, mahogany brown and white, followed (wet in wet) by a coat of highly watered down black acrylic colour
3. coated with turpentine, left nearly half a day in the sun for drying
4. coloured with acrylic paint (wet in wet): carmine red, mahogany brown, black and white
5. using masking tape to remove little areas of the acrylic paint again
6. finishing with some coat of highly watered down water colour again (shades of gray, white, brown and green)

Bild 12-0007

Bild 12-0008

Well, I am not really satisfied with the result on the right. At first, I missed the right moment for removing the acrylic colour with the tape (too late, could only hardly be done), the reddish colour coat is not nice/red enough and may be, I did not use this technique frequently enough ...

I really like the result on the left, may be, I tried it enough or may be, this method even suits me more ...  ???

So now I'm going to make a new door too for the new chickenshack (in progress) ...

In case of interest, earlier attempts (and the whole report with fotos) can be found on my website *click* ... unfortunately in German (sorry for the inconvenience) ...

Kind regards

lab-dad

I think they both have promise / use.
May be using 75% of the "Left" and 25% of the "Right"? would give some subtle variation?

Another possibility is to use Gordon's pastel technique too..........
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

I really like the colors you achieved on the initial staining process -- both the gray board and the browner one.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 27, 2011, 09:49:42 PM
I really like the colors you achieved on the initial staining process -- both the gray board and the browner one.

... thx ...  :)

... but the wood strip on the right is not treated with instant wood stain, only coloured with acrylic paint: greenish brown, mahogany brown and white, followed (wet in wet) by a coat of highly watered down black acrylic colour ...