• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

I can only come up with WOW!, this is terrific! which is woefully inadequate to describe your modeling.

finescalerr

Yeah, it's adequate. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Spectacular design and crafting!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

fspg2

So far, I had not finished the exhaust in my dust room.
It is still missing the suction shoe, which receives the chips directly at the spindle. The last stand is already almost 1 1/2 years back: klick
(Sorry, I only reported about it in the Buntbahnforum at that time).

So it was drawn again a little bit :

P1-Montage_128 (fspg2)

The gray drawn part is firmly connected to the movable spindle.

P1-Montage_129 (fspg2)

The yellow parts in the drawing are held with neodymium magnets and can be easily disassembled to change the milling cutter.

Initially I have milled a first test of 10.0mm MDF boards.

P1-Montage_130 (fspg2)

P1-Montage_131 (fspg2)

Firstly, I would like to see if the 5 provided magnets have too much holding power when changing. Maybe only three magnets are enough. Likewise it will show, whether the two intermediate layers with 20,0mm height are sufficient or if I pack another "slice" in between.

P1-Montage_132 (fspg2)

I have also ordered a round brush from the vacuum cleaner area. Maybe I can adapt them accordingly - and I do not have to stick them together with individual bristles.
Frithjof

Lawton Maner

I am sure you will come up with an elegant method of attaching the brush head to the assembly.  Just think about it while having a cold beverage before bedtime, place a pad and pencil on the night stand and sleep on it.  During the night there will be an AHA! moment, wake up take notes, and execute the remedy the next day.  Some of my best solutions to problems have come after sleeping on them.

Once finished the exhaust hood needs to have the edges eased and be painted to match the rest of the mill.   ;D

finescalerr

It probably is impossible to buy anything as good as what you build. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Once again I am in awe of your clever creativity and skillful work!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thank you for the kind comments.

On vacation, I could continue with the suction shoe.

P1-Montage_133 (fspg2)

Such a milling dust should be a thing of the past in the future. ;)

P1-Montage_134 (fspg2)

From the individual 10mm thick discs, the suction shoe is aligned with the help of 3.0mm brass tubes and glued together with superglue.

P1-Montage_135 (fspg2)

P1-Montage_136 (fspg2)

P1-Montage_137 (fspg2)

P1-Montage_138 (fspg2)

The dark hard PVC part is removable to change the milling cutters.

P1-Montage_140 (fspg2)

Now only the round brush strip is missing.
Frithjof

finescalerr

I hope I am not the only person here reeling in stunned disbelief. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Yes Russ there is not only high-tech model making offered, but also the emergence of high-tech tools for this purpose is shown. Frithjof thank you very much for showing.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Ray Dunakin

You're not alone, Russ! It's amazing work!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

After a long time I built something in the workshop again at the last weekend.

I have already spent several hours on my Böhler circular saw in the past 20 years and have been able to saw out some parts for my projects.

Boehlerkreissaege_mit_Hilfsanschlag (fspg2)

The sliding carriage helped immensely!

The motor power with 12 volts and the "low" cutting height of only 15mm made me look for something bigger and stronger.
There is no overly large selection of circular saws suitable for model making.
After seeing some examples on Youtube, I made my choice.
Since I often want to saw congruent parts and do not want to start the CNC milling machine every time for a quick cut, a table saw sled should be built again.

The woodworkers have plenty of ideas online: click. Many are similar, so I was able to adapt some things for myself.

It was drawn first.

Schiebetisch_01 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_02 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_03 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_04 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_05 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_06 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_07 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_09 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_10 (fspg2)

12mm aluminum is no problem with the new saw :D

With the help of the cross cut sled, the first parts for the adjustable stop were sawn.

Schiebetisch_11 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_12 (fspg2)

Schiebetisch_13 (fspg2)

The self-adhesive steel tape measure with center "0" has been ordered.

Then a few projects can continue  ;)

Why the effort with the sliding carriage:?:

Quite simply - for a number of parts that I still want to build for the lifting bridge module, I need very precise right-angled cuts in various materials (wood, plastic, brass, aluminum, ...
As already said, no problem with the milling machine ... with the saw some things go a little faster.

With the new circular saw I can cut 24.5mm high with an 85mm circular saw blade (with the Böhler it was 15.0mm).
So I can now quickly and individually adjust the remaining "limestones" to the masonry.

Recently I had found two nice little helpers for the circular saw on the web - or rather, I saw in videos how such parts can be made by myself.

A KERFMAKER is required for the production of exact grooves. There are plenty of examples: click

One post particularly appealed to me, so I built it last night, especially since I found all the parts I needed in my left-over boxes.

The beechwood board was provided with the necessary incisions on the router (14.0mm cutter).

Kerfmaker_01 (fspg2)

At the rip fence on the circular saw, the remnant board was sawn to the required width and for length I used the sliding carriage.

Kerfmaker_03 (fspg2)

The small screws for adjusting the saw blade thickness are still missing on the last photo.

In order to safely guide the wooden strip at the rip fence, I drew a FEATHERBORD that fits the saw in size.

There are also a number of examples: click

Featherboard_02 (fspg2)

Then two parts were milled together with a 2.0 mm one tooth cutter.

Featherboard_03 (fspg2)

With the cross cut sled I separated the two parts.

Featherboard_04 (fspg2)

The inserted 3.0 mm wooden strips ensured that the individual combs were not damaged when they were cut.

Featherboard_05 (fspg2)

Featherboard_06 (fspg2)

As desired, the comb now ensures a clean pressure on the bar.

Featherboard_07 (fspg2)

Featherboard_08 (fspg2)

Time required for drawing: approx. 30 minutes and around 40 minutes for milling.
Frithjof