• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Eric, you are right!

Now I have translocated the rotation prevention inside the weights, they are no longer visible from the outside.

Also I have modified the red fastening fitting for the cables.

Gewichte_15 (fspg2)

They were arranged pairwise ...

Gewichte_16 (fspg2)

... and milled from a 2.0mm MS58-sheet.

Gewichte_12 (fspg2)

At the same time small filler pieces were milled. They keep safely the two legs over the drilling and milling process in the MDF gauge.

Gewichte_13 (fspg2)

The two parts have been inserted together vertically into a milled groove of a MDF board. Then I milled two holes with a 0.8mm drill. In these holes I put 0.8mm wires. So I got an additional attachment of the two parts during separation with a 1.0mm router.

Gewichte_14 (fspg2)

Small filthines at the edges will be slightly smoothed - with naked eyes they are barely visible.

The four weights have been milled also. As material served a brass profile (15.0mm x 5.0mm). The corners were rounded with a 1.0mm ovolo cutter - while simultaneously brought to a width of 14.2mm.

Gewichte_07 (fspg2)

Gewichte_08 (fspg2)

The weights were manufactured of three separate elements originally. The edges were chamfered. First I have scratched the joints with a 0.25mm blade 0.5mm deep from all sides. Thereafter the parts were pressed in MDF grooves and processed at the same area with a 90 degree V-cutter. The corners must be reworked with a small file.

Gewichte_09 (fspg2)

The bevels on the lower section are cutted with the help of my the small circular saw. To ensure that all angles were equal I had cut to two small gauges from MDF.

Gewichte_11 (fspg2)

Gewichte_10 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

I am constantly in awe of the precision you achieve in milling such small details.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mspaw

Im blown away. Thanks so much for sharing and please, please keep it up.

-Michael

fspg2

@Ray
Thanks, but it´s only a "cheese milling machine". May be it´ll be much more precise with a massive machine.

@ Michael
I´d be glad to.

The four weights are lifted or lowered at the same time from one winch.

Comming from the large pulley on the winch ...

Seilrolle_02 (fspg2)

the individual steel ropes run through various small pulleys (diameter 10.0mm).

Rollenmontage_02 (fspg2)

Seilfuehrung_01 (fspg2)

I have milled the roll holders from a 12.0mm x 10.0mm MS58-square rod.

First the two 1.2mm holes were drilled.

Into the third 3.0mm hole a rod will be inserted later. This will hold the brass part accurately in position into the gauge while milling.

Rollenhalter_03 (fspg2)

Seilfuehrung_02 (fspg2)

Afterthen a small pocket was milled into Pertinax and the brass block was putted inside.

Rollenhalter_02 (fspg2)

Another hole was drilled to allow a small screw to fix all.

Next the above red marked area was milled with a 1.0mm cutter in steps of 0.5mm.

Rollenmontage_06 (fspg2)

Rollenmontage_07 (fspg2)

Rollenmontage_08 (fspg2)

Rollenmontage_09 (fspg2)

Rollenmontage_10 (fspg2)

Now I have both, 3-roll holders and such for one role.
In the next step the parts will be separated from the brass rod, so that I´ll get the green-marked roll holder.

Rollenhalter_01 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

mspaw

Outta curiosity, What type milling bits are you using for your brass work? Ive worked in mainly acrylic, RenShape and aluminum. I gather brass is a dream to mill so I really should give it a try. Also any recommendations would be most appreciated.

-Michael

fspg2

@Michael
Please have a look here to my post from September 17, 2016. Maybe your questions will be answered there. If not, let me know.

You wouldn´t believe how time-consuming is the making of the small parts.
For example, I needed for drawing, creation of milling files and the milling of the small plates for the roll holders finally two hours.
Cutting out from cardboard would have been faster, but it hadn´t made me happy  ;-)

Rollenmontage_11 (fspg2)

The axle holders were fixed in an MDF teaching with 1.0mm wire sections and given the lack of 1.0mm holes.

Rollenmontage_12 (fspg2)

For the pulleys with the required dimensions of 10.0mm x 2.2mm and a shaft hole of 1.2mm I made a find here: klick

The width of these rope pulleys is  only 1.9mm instead of the required 2.2 mm - the axle hole has 2.0mm instead of 1.2mm.

So a 2.0mm MS58 rod was drilled out (1.2mm) and small segments were glued centrally into the 2.0mm axle hole (see lying role).

Now the role is located properly in the center and is running smoothly.

A quick photo was taken on the windowsill with overcast sky.

Rollenmontage_14 (fspg2)

Rollenmontage_13 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Allan G

I'm not sure there are words to describe this incredible "art".  Allan

finescalerr

I agree with Allan. I also must compliment your professional quality photography. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ditto to the previous comments!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mspaw

Its very satisfying just watching the process unfold. Thanks for  sharing with us!

nk

This is an amazingly professional build. Well beyond being a hobby. I am deeply impressed at your micro engineering.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

fspg2

Thanks to all of you – now im going red in my face ;-)

The upper metal end of the sluice walls will arise from 10.0mm x 8.0mm brass profile .

Metallkante_1_25mm_01 (fspg2)

For test purposes I profiled Ureol rods and the brass profiles afterwards.

Metallkante_1_25mm_03 (fspg2)

In a MDF gauge (8.0mm deep) the bars were tightly inserted and milled with a 3.0mm router - first the green and blue marker.
Later the 1.25mm quarter round cutter rounded the red zone.

Metallkante_1_25mm_02 (fspg2)

I got a link for small gears from a colleague of Buntbahn forum: click

Unlike other vendors you can choose many gear diameter and also the diameter of the shaft and the thickness. I got the ordered parts within one week!

Although I couldn´t get my wanted pairing with the corresponding number of teeth (21.0mm with 60 teeth and 4.2mm with 12 teeth), I have selected two gears with which I received the same hole distance of axles.
Now I have 19.8mm (64teeth) + 5.4mm (16teeth) with modulus of 0.3.
The original dimensions converted to 1: 22.5 needed modulus of about 0.35.

Winde_21 (fspg2)

The larger gear was fixed in a hard paper gauge and both sides were deepened in the central region at 0.7 mm. So I could save a lot of weight   :)

Winde_22 (fspg2)

Winde_23 (fspg2)

First "rehearsal" - the hole spacing is correct. Although the diameter and the gear ratio (now 1: 4 instead of 1: 5) are not exactly, I will be able to stand it.

Winde_24 (fspg2)
Frithjof

lab-dad

Where is the spoked gear coming from?
Or are you going to modify a solid one?

Great gear site - thanks!

-Marty

fspg2

Hi Marty,

Initially I purposed to let make the large gear with wire EDM from 3mm MS58. Only the 2.0mm center hole and the outer contour should be eroded with the wire.

After I had made very good experience with the gear provider, I remembered the note at Buntbahn forum that also special diameter up to 45mm would be possible.
My last night query was made today in positive views.
However, even 45mm material must be ordered ... but that should be there on Wednesday and then two gears should be manufactured (just to be on the safe side one more, if I make a mistake during further processing!).

The price is very interesting - around a quarter of the cost over a wire EDM.

Like the last gear I will do all following cuttings with the help of a hard paper gauge.

Zahnrad_136-Zaehne (fspg2)

Today I got two small pulleys from a friendly precision mechanic master.
For this purpose he had honed a small lathetool.
So clean I wouldn´t have done ... not yet, maybe I can learn that too.
The grinding of cutting tools maybe an art in itself, I only saw it at youtube.

Seilrolle_03 (fspg2)

The central webs from the right pulley are high as the edges.
Let's see if the ropes (they are running up in a slight angle) are not jumping into the neighboring chamber.

Frithjof