• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on December 13, 2015, 07:48:18 AM
I was not very happy with my sand blast cabinet. Continuously the compressor came on to generate the required pressure (ejector concept). In the long time the noise was very annoying.
At Buntbahn I saw a note on an alternate product from Austria: here

Now the complete air volume is used for the radiation and not 80% for the suction of the blasting media.
A pressure of approximately 2 atmospheres is sufficient for the purposes of our hobby!

Looks like a very interesting setup for blasting!

But you still need an external compressor with the setup?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Thanks for your approving!

@Hauk
You are right, I need an external compressor!

The three eastern connecting bridges are arranged at an angle to each other.

Before I will cut off and rounding the bottom protruding rivet shafts with a hollow cutter I still want to adjust the last gussets at the transitions of the three bridges. These are at an angle arranged.

I milled into a 70cm x 30cm MDF board grooves and I placed the respective longitudinal beams into it. The abutting edges I have tailored on the Böhler-saw. For this purpose the saw blade was been tilted by 7 angular degree and I cut away the long carrier. This was carried out in several stages, so as not to cut off to much of the material at once.

Langtraeger_07 (fspg2)

Langtraeger_08 (fspg2)

Langtraeger_09 (fspg2)

Langtraeger_10 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

The model matches the drawing so precisely it's frightening. -- Russ

Allan G

I agree with Russ!!!!!!!!!!! Allan

fspg2

The gusset plates that hold the crossmembers should be printed in wax and then remelted in brass.
Have a look at the master form as 3D printing:

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_003 (fspg2)

Only with a magnifying glass small stairs were visible on the rivets. Two small areas I have smoothed with a sandpaper file (1000 grit). Then the glass beads came into play again. Viewed with a magnifying glass you can imagine the step levels only a little bit yet.
Thus processed, I'll send back this master form to the foundry. They will create a silicone mold and made several casts. The size of shrinkage I had included with 1.5% previously.
At the end the red-bordered area should be width of 20mm.
Unfortunately, I have to wait to the end of January for the finished parts, since the caster is very well utilized.

After adjusting the angle of the longitudinal beams (of the three eastern connection bridges), a few jigs were milled.

Langtraeger_Montagelehre_01 (fspg2)

With the help of these synthetic resin bonded paper gauges I will be able to mount the gusset plates, crossbeams and connecting profiles precisely.

Langtraeger_Montagelehre_02 (fspg2)

Langtraeger_Montagelehre_03 (fspg2)

Meanwhile, the protruding rivets have been reduced to 0.6mm height.
For this purpose I have set the saw blade parallel to the inner angle of the longitudinal beam
(adjusted vertically that the blade doesn´t touch the bridge, but only cut off the 1mm shafts of the rivets).

Nieten-kuerzen_01 (fspg2)

This supernatants will be rounded with a 1.0mm hollow cutter.
Such milling cutter you´ll get here for example as ,,Finierfräser" in different diameters.: click.

There is one flaw: The rivet head has a diameter of 1.2mm - the shaft only 1.0mm ..... so I'm going to live.
Otherwise I would have use 1.2mm solder wire pieces and must be rounded at both ends.

The first crossbeam I have cut from 6mm x3mm U-profile.
Using a Pertinax gauge I drilled holes for the rivets be soldered.
Originally I wanted get the crossmember by casting.
Two reasons against:
a) the price per each finished casting (15 pieces) would have amounted to approximately € 16.00,
b) with a length of 56mm, I was not sure if all the parts would have really the identical dimensions after casting.
Now I have costs of 2.00 € per piece (16 rivets and brass profile) + effort, which is not really expected at hobby.

Quertraeger_01 (fspg2)

The 24 M2 screws (for attaching the Pertinax gauges to the longitudinal beams) had to be shortened by about 3mm. For this I had put a brass tube as auxiliary stop on the bolt and fixed it with a nut. With a thin cutting disk then the bolts were brought to the same length and could be mounted.

Schrauben_kuerzen (fspg2)

The recesses for the nuts have been milled tightly so that I need no further wrench during assembly.

Langtraeger_11 (fspg2)

Frithjof

fspg2

Currently I am still waiting for some castings for the bridge.

A small excercise in between came just right! In my search on the web for old workshop equipment I found this old workbench (the dimensions  are: 151cm width, 82 cm depth and 97 cm height)  - for my old shed (klick here) a little bit too large (and also a bit overpriced) ...

Alte Werkbank_ 151 cm breit x 82 cm tief und 97 cm

found at: http://www.ebay.de/itm/alte-antike-Werkbank-Werktisch-Arbeitstisch-Eisentisch-Metall-VINTAGE-/311170890958

So a reduction in scale 1:22,5 was constructed, based on the photos and the known dimensions...

Alter_Werkstatttisch_02 (fspg2)

... the parts were milled in brass....

Alter_Werkstatttisch_03 (fspg2)

The four legs are from 2.5mm brass round profile. The ends were drilled on the lathe with a 2mm pilot drill. So it looks like tubes  (if one considers the workbench from below)

Alter_Werkstatttisch_04 (fspg2)

Gauges were made from Pertinax. With their help I can solder the little angle plates rectangular.

On the following screen the parts are assembled loosely.

Alter_Werkstatttisch_05 (fspg2)

Overall, I needed about 1h for drawing and 2.5h for milling and about 35min for solderimg.

Alter_Werkstatttisch_06 (fspg2)

The upper edges of the worktop have to become more blunt before the next steps can follow.
Frithjof

finescalerr

Acceptable. Please proceed. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Masterful craftsmanship, as usual!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Today a small update only.

The master pattern I could survey in last December already. Small grades I removed with fine sandpaper and my sandblaster. Next the caster reproduced it in a silicone mold.
I´m sad to say but the first cast I got was waste. The material thickness of 0.45 mm and the rivet heads were poured clean - unfortunately, however, the 24mm long gusset plate were curved over the whole length. Even with light hammer strokes I couldn´t reach a satisfying result with a test piece.

So it was agreed with the foundry to return everything and made a new attempt with another silicone material. In addition, the casting tree got a third runner in the middle.
Recently I got the new casts. Although small differences in the twenty castings were present, I could use all the parts.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_003 (fspg2)

Masterform - red mark is required

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_004 (fspg2)

First the sprue webs were detached using a cutting disk.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_005 (fspg2)

Then I cleaned the edges with a sandpaper file.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_006 (fspg2)

a) Mastermodel with 101.5% size for silicone casting
b) cast from the series (with the third runner) (100% size)
c) sprues are separated
d) left supernatant separated (with Böhler disk saw)
e) + f) front and back  side (both lateral protrusions separated)

Since I need two different rivet arrangements for the left and right side and didn´t want to invest in two masterforms, my master pattern got rivets on the front and on the back.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_007 (fspg2)

Each redundant rivets were milled either on the front or on the back.

Frithjof

finescalerr

fspg2

Thanks, Russ :-)

Hold the parts in hand, would have been feasible for a few castings. For 20 parts I drawn and cut two small "Pertinax shoes".

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_008 (fspg2)

This allowed me to free the gusset plates of the supernumerary rivets quickly. A 1.0mm cutter was set several times lower in height. The shoe with the casting was moved by hand on the flat surface of the cross table until the rivet heads no longer remained. Slight scratch marks of the router will be covered by the soldered diagonal braces later.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_009 (fspg2)

Another small step was a small auxiliary device which organized the longitudinal beam at an angle so that the ,,Finier"cutter can rounding the rivet heads vertically from above.

Halter_Finierfraeser_01 (fspg2)

Halter_Finierfraeser_02 (fspg2)

The slots in the base board located the five carriers.

Halter_Finierfraeser_03 (fspg2)

Halter_Fiinierfraeser_04 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

I love that cutter! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

This is just incredible engineering!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

Hydrostat

Frithjof,

which speed did you chose with the cutter? I know they work well with hand tools but wasn't aware they fit for machining, too.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"