• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

very cool frithjof
great colour match with the roof tiles volker texture is a good match also
kind regards kim

Bill Gill

Barney

fspg2

@Allan, Hauk, Russ, Ray, Kim, Bill and Barney: Thank for your approval :)

The first of the two pendulum pillars were finished today.

For this I had cut a few pertinax gauges. They should help me in aligning the upper L-profiles.

Pendel-Pfeiler_Montagehife_05_ (fspg2)

Pendel-Pfeiler_Montagehife_06_ (fspg2)

The excess solder was removed largely with a small triangular scraper and a preparation tool / Glasradierer (like this). The sandblasting gun did the rest.

Pendel-Pfeiler_02 (fspg2)

The two equal halves I putted together. The 0.4mm thick nickel silver plate served as a conduit.

Pendel-Pfeiler_03 (fspg2)

Both parts were pressed together easily. The overhanging L-profiles were cutted with the Böhler-saw.

Pendel-Pfeiler_04 (fspg2)

The similarity with the drawing is wanted.

Pendel-Pfeiler_05 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

Such marvelous miniature engineering!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on August 23, 2015, 02:01:21 PM

The two equal halves I putted together. The 0.4mm thick nickel silver plate served as a conduit.

Bulletproof modelling!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

@Ray, Russ, Hauk: Thanks - slowly I'm quite embarrassed.

I have been asked to give an overview about my activities at buntbahn forum - perhaps it is also of interest here?

Eight years ago I started with my project, even more intensively and sometimes less. Job and family comes first. But there ist no date I have to be ready!
It makes me fun, the individual steps to go through (such as research, drawing and design, milling, soldering and construction, try out and if it doesn't work to try it again,...). There is never a dull moment.

It follows an overview of the projects associated with the topic "Feldbahn modules with ship"

a. the old platform Here still the turnouts and the greening are missing.

b. the lift bridge It works the mechanical drive - I am currently on the pendulum pillars. Now both pillars are completed.

c. the old shed See below!

d. the truck scale The roof could be covered with the existing roof tiles by Volker now.

e. the old port crane He waits for the next use of soldering.)

The front wall of the old fire station was milled in scale 1:22.5. – I stopped working on it!
The 1:24 ladder looks just too puny in comparison. I only know in scale 1:22.5 Opel Blitz as LF8, which fits into the 60th years.

Clicking on the blue marked letters let appear the German pages of Buntbahn. You can translate it with Google Translator.

Grundriss_FMmS_2 (fspg2)

Grundriss_Module_bislang-fertig (fspg2)

Always, if I have a little time, I look at the parts and then any of the parts gains. :wink:

Currently I'm on the bridge superstructure - also if the old shed asked to get some bricks.

Once Volker announced the first casting of the roof ridge brick with a picture, ...I was just a bit appalled by the unmasking of this macro photo.

Firstziegel_00 (fspg2)

(Image by Volker)

He told me that you wouldn´t see the levels of pressure with the naked eye.

Recently I got the roof ridge bricks.

He's right, on a quick comparison photo (it´s still a magnification!) you can collate an unedited brick behind the front brick easily sandblasted.

Firstziegel_01 (fspg2)

Firstziegel_02 (fspg2)

Let's see how the parts look burnished and treated with red color, just as Volker did it before here

Frithjof

Bill Gill

It is good to see the diagram of your overall plan to understand where each of the models will be located. The roof tiles look very good after you did a little cleaning up.

finescalerr

Not only do the new parts look terrific but I love the concept of the entire layout. -- Russ

lab-dad

I spent my lunch hour over at the German forum.
Im only part way through.
Definitely time well spent!!!!!
Looking forward to spending more time there!
Marty

fspg2

That's what you get when you counts rivets - or only stones... and you doesnt know the overall dimensions of the original!

When I started with the my project "Feldbahn modules with ship" in mid-2007 I did the first drawings for the bridgeheads. I walked out of dimensions which I had measured on a stone of a demolished old house.
Helmut milled the MDF-plates with the joints according to my DXF drawing.

All parts fit together, the two bridgeheads were glued and the toothed quoins were trimmed in the joints with a thin sawblade. Like here:: click. Finally everything was primed gray.

So far so good!

Brueckenkoepfe (fspg2)

As I put the bridgehead on a drawing of the original bridge elements (scaled to 1:22,5)  I noted the estimated dimensions are not correct. The width is about 10mm too wide.

I'll make the parts just new!
To scale down the entire sketch doesnt work because the stones have to be changed slightly different in height and width.

Now I have changed the individual size of all different stones, so that the width of the bridge head becomes 10mm smaller.

Brueckenkopf_02 (fspg2)

Currently the bridgehead looks more prototypical.

Brueckenkopf_05 (fspg2)

The wall joint with 0.5mm thickness is included into the stone size.
Just to mill the outer contour with a 1.5mm router, I drew a new layer. It has a gap of 0.65mm. (0.75mm ist the correct worth, but it´s more easier to put the tooth of the stoneedges together.
The nooks have been pre-drilled with a 0.5mm drill. Thus, the corner radius has been reduced from 0.75mm to 0.25mm. The plates fit together without extra work at the corners.

Brueckenkopf_06 (fspg2)

Brueckenkopf_07 (fspg2)

This is the DXF file passed to Sheetcam.

Brueckenkopf_08 (fspg2)

Three and a half hours later, plates for one bridgehead were finished.

Brueckenkopf_09 (fspg2)

At German buntbahn forum I was asked for the dimensions overall the modules:

Module_Abmessungen (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

That should be a wonderful module. -- Russ

fspg2

@Russ  Maybe you are right :)

Here a small update from last night.

Wood glue and screw clamps, sandpaper and a 0.5mm saw blade helped in assembling the first parts.

The toothed quoins I had let protrude approximately 0.5mm. Similarly, you can see here on the picture of the old only loose assembled bridgehead: click

After drying of the glue the entire block has been laid flat on a sandpaper (200 grain) and abraded with two, three movements to the brick surface. After that the 0.5mm saw blade cut free the joints at the corners,

Brueckenkopf_16 (fspg2)

sandpaper (600 grain) smoothed the complete surfaces and a brass brush cleaned the joints from dust.

Brueckenkopf_14 (fspg2)

Frithjof
Frithjof

lab-dad

That looks solid to me!
I wish I had one of those cnc routers!... :-[
Thanks for posting - always an inspiration!
-Marty