• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Even if I could use two strong gear motors as drive for the slow-running reciprocating motion of the two spindles, ...

Hubeinheit_Motor_01 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_09 (fspg2)

... so I can´t imagine if both motors will run so uniform that the bridge will not tilt.

There are three solution approaches:

a) a continuous wave:

Only one motor that moves both spindles connected by a long shaft (distance at least approximately 110cm) combined with two angular gears can work.

b) stepper motor controller:

Otherwise, I have a few stepper motors and a control unit for a milling machine that can drive two stepper for the two X axes.
My existing stepper motor control (1/8 Step) came from my milling machine. Since there were step losses over and over a friend had built his own solution (with optocoupler card for galvanic isolation of PC + control). It´s works perfectly since a few years. The two X-axis are guided via the control unit (without belt). Once I had bought this router with two stepper motors for the two X-axis, because I didnt trust the drive belt in times past.
Whether the old control will work correctly at the bridge without step losses? ... maybe I´ll have a trial. At least it could be implemented with existing parts easily.

After a short discussion at bbf forum here my new favorite:

c) toothed belt drive:

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_10 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_11 (fspg2)

The two belts should get another tensioner and guides certainly, so they dont sag at its length someday or become loose. On the other hand millions of color printers with their belt drives can not be wrong. :)

Frithjof

lab-dad

There is also the "servo-link" style of chain.
Not sure of the strength limit or your need though.
Marty

marc_reusser

Das ist aber ein Prachtstueck! incridible adaptation of parts, engineering and execution, and in the end it ends up looking like jewlery. Thank you too for the the SB images, and the great 3D GIF images.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

fspg2

Hi Marty, hi Marc,
Only a few steps forward. I cutted new longer aluminum L-sections to carry the bearing plates for the pulley on the same unit.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_12 (fspg2)

2mm deep pockets were cutted into MDF and the L-sections were placed...

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_13 (fspg2)

...and 2mm holes were drilled next.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_14 (fspg2)

Two 6mm aluminum plates (shown in blue) are used as carriers for the two ball bearings.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_15 (fspg2)

Compared to the drawing, the four mounting screws were changed to 6mm (3mm instead). They are used for attachment on the underside of the module.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_16 (fspg2)

The round depression on the aluminum plate will locate the plexiglass tube. This is for the precise centering of the lift cylinder within the duct (as well as picture 09 shows).

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_17 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_18 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_20 (fspg2)

A final look at the bottom of the module. The pulley and the belt will be freely accessible.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_19 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

It looks just like the rendering! -- Russ

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

As always, truly amazing work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

kneighbarger

Absolutely amazing work.....
Ken

chester

Like Marc said, it looks like jewelry. Fascinating/fantastic.

fspg2

@Russ
It looks just like the rendering! So it should be :-)

@Hauk
Two videos you can see in the following.

@Ray, Ken, chester
Thanks for your comments!

The computer for my miling machine has failed for three weeks ... my lathe had a problem also: the main switch was broken ...

...but still ... I 'm a little further now .

Since I wanted to use a few existing long drive belts, I have chosen a small detour for the drive unit :

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_021 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_022 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_023 (fspg2)

The motor drive has failed the first test. He was too weak in lower speed range.

A stronger LINAK motor was purchased with flanged gearbox.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_024 (fspg2)

A few new drawings were made with CAD.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_025 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_029 (fspg2)

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_30 (fspg2)

Meanwhile the water jack has been printed: SLS-Verfahren Print .

Heber_11 (fspg2)

Heber_14 (fspg2)

The tube has a diameter of 6.0 mm. The visible Hexagon nuts have a height of only 0.35 mm!
The tube is connected loosely for the picture.

Heber_15 (fspg2)

The recognizable roughness is expedient to an old rusted model. The tube will be smoothed with fine sandpaper later.

The two lifting units are installed now .

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_32 (fspg2)

At the bottom of the module (door leaf) I have mouted the drivebelts and the new motor unit.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_31 (fspg2)

On a little video you can see the first lifting test. I regulated the motor beetwen 2 – 10 volts.

See for yourself Video!

Thus, the lifting mechanism will not destroyed itself, I have attached two micro switches on the two support units .
Once a switch is triggered, the motor stops and can be moved in the opposite direction only. Similarities with Fulgurex railway switch drive are wanted.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_33 (fspg2)

At 12 volts lifting takes about 24 seconds. When I place the slider to about 1 volt it moves over 8.5 minutes. In the original a raising or lowering tooks about 10 minutes.
The only thing that bothers me right now is the engine noise as soon as I fix about 5 volts (76 seconds) . The module acts as a resonator.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_34 (fspg2)

Meanwhile, I've wired the limit switches.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_37 (fspg2)

The switches of the two lifting units are connected in series.

At the first unit I glued the brass nut with the round aluminum plate and pinned it with three brass pins .
That was not such a good idea, because the spindle could be turned much harder only. Probably the spindle jammed against the two parallel guides.

For the second lift unit I milled a 3mm groove in the two parts (brass nut , aluminum plate). The shaft of the brass nut was turned off by 0.3 mm. The spindle has a little free space now.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_36 (fspg2)

Two brass square pieces serve as a tappet .

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_35 (fspg2)

At the end a brass cover plate and a snap ring will secure everything.

Hubeinheit_Traeger_Montage_39 (fspg2)

The result: an equally smooth transition over the whole way (hand-turned).

The first lifting unit will be rebuilt in the same way soon.

A second Video shows the lifting at 7 volts. The wooden board is established only provisionally to get a taste of the future bridge.

lifting_at_7_Volt (fspg2)

Frithjof
Frithjof

Hauk

Sorry  about your problems, but great to see your progress!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

What a relief to know you're not perfect. I was about to jump off a cliff. -- Russ

lab-dad

Looking great!
I hope my motor does not have problems as yours did!

As far as the noise; try finding some self adhesive butyl rubber.
It is used in roofing repairs and automobile insulation.

-Marty

NE Brownstone

I like the lead screw nut key seat solution.  No need for trying to broach an internal key way.

I hope all of this will be viewable in the finished model.  It would be such a waste of awesomeness to be hidden.  Most people these days have no clue what quality machine work is all about, much less the skill required to accomplish things like this. 

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Russ
The other, other Russ

fspg2

Thanks for your kind words.

Once again some days have passed since I had nailed the roof battens to my old warehouse

An original roofing tile I got from my neighbor. It is preserved for posterity remain in scale 1:22,5.

Doppelfalzziegel_02 (fspg2)

Doppelfalzziegel_06 (fspg2)

The roofing tile was drawn by Volker.

Doppelfalzziegel_07 (fspg2)

Afterwards I have covered the roof, but only in CAD.

Dachgerippe_01 (fspg2)

Dachgerippe_02 (fspg2)

Dachgerippe_03 (fspg2)

Dachgerippe_04 (fspg2)

I just now need an idea how I can produce 1300 bricks for the roof. Maybe it can be an attractive load too.

Injection moulding would be the best way, but the cost of form creation will be around 3 - 4k € - unfortunately a little bit too high.  Additional each individual brick will be cost about 10 - 20 cents.
Merging multiple tiles and printing out as a group and creating a form from it, this could be one way to get faster and maybe a little cheaper to get the aim.
The results shown in various forums of example Shapeways, I don´t like the surface structure. In addition, the minimum thicknesses are far too thick.

Volker (Hydrostat) had recently achieved great results printing of his phone.

Now a few bricks will be printed by the same procedure. Afterwards I will get trying white metal castings. Problematic from the perspective of the founder is the thin material thicknesses – it is be partly only 0.4 mm. Let's see what comes out.

White metal has the advantage of greater weight compared to plastic and certainly a good aging resistance.

Update to the lift bridge:

A friendly forum colleague looked at the Provincial Archives in Schleswig (norther part of Germany) for the missing graphics of the old lift bridge. He found out that all the missing construction drawings from 1899/1900 are still in Lauenburg - and not in Schleswig, as I had been told.
So I asked again in my previous hometown.

This time I had luck!!! They told me they could not promise anything, but ......

A few days ago I received several e-mails from the Water and Nautical Department with exactly those drawings which were missing for the construction of the lift bridge. Again, my special thanks to the staff member which scanned the old plans very quickly and sent me them as PDF's! Without their help, I would still hope ....

It was a little bit like Christmas and birthday together.

I hadn´t quite given up the hope to get a few more details about the mechanical design ... that's why I had made nothing on the lifting bridge even for a few months. I wouldn´t like to start with my construction maybe I could find out later that the original was quite different.

The drive is working, what is missing are the five bridge segments.

Meanwhile I have scaled the drawings to 1:22.5 and they were plotted. So I have a additional help to determine the dimensions of the various angles and profiles.

Hubbruecke_Anschlussbruecken_ (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg/Elbe

Hubbruecke_beweglicher_Brueckenteil_1 (fspg2)

Up to now I could only guess many things from the old photos – but now with the construction drawings from 1899/1900 I can imagine that it will take a few years until I will soldered together all gusset plates, angles and rivets .... that's what happens when you count the rivets.

Most I love the drawings from the bridge portal and the winch.

Hubbruecke_Mappe_1 (fspg2)

Since the blueprints were archived in a large portfolio for drawings, they couldn´t be scanned. A small camera helped.

Hubbruecke_Portal_1 (fspg2)

The blueprints are trimmed in black and white and scaled to 1:22.5 with photoshop. If the proportions are disturbed, so I still have a lot of dimensions in the drawings.

Hubbruecke_Portal_2 (fspg2)

The function of the four counterweights (with 500 Kg weight each) is now clear, they oppressed down the bridge.
Also I can detect the course of the individual ropes accurately...

I am always thrilled that I got this drawings!

Hubbruecke_Winde_1 (fspg2)

Hubbruecke_Winde_2 (fspg2)

In addition, I received a few drawings of  the sluice gate ... oh, a lot of rivets are there....

Stemmtor_1 (fspg2)

Stemmtor_2 (fspg2)

Stemmtor_3 (fspg2)

Stemmtor_Details (fspg2)

On the small-800pixels pictures you can not see a lot of things really  - in 1:22.5, the parts are quite big - there is still much to do!

For me I´m happy to go with a new commitment to the implementation of the many small challenges.

I'll start with a small, but important bridge detail:

... the two pendulum pillars that supported the three eastern port bridges in the curve.

First an excerpt was taken from the orignal design plans (1:22.5) and saved as a BMP.

Hubbrueckentraeger (fspg2)

This file has been used as a background image for the CAD drawing. After that, the gusset plates and L-profiles were drawn...

Nebenbrueckentraeger_002 (fspg2)

image (fspg2)

Nebenbrueckentraeger_004 (fspg2)

... and the conversion in two milling data for the front and back follows.

Nebenbrueckentraeger_005 (fspg2)

The nickel silver sheet has four 2-mm holes in the corners to get the second page congruent. The sheet was glued with Gudy 831 film to the MDF board every time.
So the 0.1 mm V-cutter could reach the same depth everywhere.

Nebenbrueckentraeger_006 (fspg2)

On Friday evening I was able to mill out the parts and press the first 288 rivets.

Nebenbrueckentraeger_007
(fspg2)

The plates have been slightly distorted by the pressing – so they have to be addressed a little.

Nebenbrueckentraeger_008 (fspg2)

Sorry for the information flood :) Even though I should have killed you with the amount of the new drawings, so perhaps you can imagine my excitement.
Frithjof