• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fine-scale Leaves, Plants, Vegetation and Scenic /Scenery supplies

Started by marc_reusser, April 01, 2011, 02:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 12, 2011, 08:44:44 PM
Very effective. Do you know what scale the model is? I wonder what he used for the yellow flowers.

It looks like they might be the Fredericus Rex / Green-Line #201 flowers as shown here (last item):
http://www.milminwh.com/fred_rex_flowers.htm

Just ordered some of those a few days ago ... so I'll see if I can confirm that when the package arrives.  Meanwhile, checked the local shops that have JTT scenery spinners and neither of them has the chopped falling leaves.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Dallas ,

I have some of the Fred-'ex flowers and they are not the same as the one's in Marc's photos . Those are more delicate . I shall have a bit of a look around to see if there is anything that looks like they may be the ones ,

Nick

Malachi Constant

Received a package from Military Miniatures Warehouse today (www.milminwh.com) -- very quick service.

So, am I right?  Or still wrong?  These Green Line #201 Flowers look like they're the same as the ones in the photo that Marc posted on previous page ... well, they look the same to me!  ???   :)

There are a LOT of hideous loose ends here ... (yes, I know!) ... but this gives an idea of size in relation to figures.  Pay no heed to the chicken, she came across the road after hearing about a bricklayer.  ;D

The flowers vary in size, roughly 4-5mm ... this is about 10x actual size.

Hope to use these in a flower bed along a fence ... essentially grass tufts with some sort of flower material added.  

Not sure what the flower material is ... not ground foam.  The (incomplete) grid marks on that rubber pad are 1" spacing ... so the enlargement here is at least 5x or 6x.

Cheers,
Dallas

marc_reusser

Great pics and info, thanks Dallas. Will have to get myself both of those, they look quite useful to have on hand.

BTW. thanks for the TTL check; I too checked the TTL rack at the LHS and they didn't have the "leaves" either. I did pick up some of their "fine" medium green tree cover material. The color looks pretty bad in the box, but once spread out a bit, and maybe with some slight paint highlights/shading, could look pretty good for some things in 1/48 and up.....IMO not for trees, but for small vines and creeping/climbing weeds. The material seems to be finer ground and somewhat differently composed (mesh and foam assebly) than the Woodland Scenics stuff.  I will post a comparison pic.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Those tiny natural, dried flowers look great.

One of the great disadvantages of modeling outdoors is that almost all of the best scenic materials are unusable. Ground foams, fine fibers, and natural plant material all quickly decay.

The past few weeks I've been on a plant-making binge, trying to create enough mini plants to fill out some more areas of the layout. I've made hundreds of sagebrush, brittlebush, and other small shrubs. I've got over 75 ocotillos in the works, about a third of them finished. Also have several dozen cholla cacti in the works. Currently I'm sculpting a bunch of beavertail cacti. Those are the most trouble, as the entire plant must be sculpted from polyclay.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Dallas ,

The GL flowers I have got are the ones  you pictured last , GL-043 . I hadn't seen the GL-201s before . So alright , you are right . But so was I , up to a point . I shall see if I can get hold of some .

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on my scenery materials as I'm beginning to get out of touch with what is out there . This is worse than trying to keep up with the latest technology .

Nick

Malachi Constant

Thanks Nick -- Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going nuts, cuz the things in the two photos really "seemed" to look the same to me!   To add to the confusion, I didn't easily spot the #201 flowers on the Fred-Rex site, but saw them on a couple US sites ... ???

There IS a lot of stuff out there ... and some of the product photos and descriptions leave a lot to be desired, so think it's a good idea to continue this thread with both SOURCES of items and IN-HAND photos/reviews.  -- Dallas

marc_reusser

The image below compares two types of "Foliage" fiber.

On the left is: JTT "Foliage Fiber Cluster" #95064 Light Green

On the right is: Woodland Scenics "Foliage" #F51 Light Green

Both items come in a plastic bag containg a compact wad of tangled fiber with attached foam bits.  When tearing of a small piece and then sort of stretching/feathering it (as in the photo) both lose a lot of the little foam pieces that are atached to the fiber strands, however in the packet I have the WS product definitely loses more. The WS pieces also seem to be coarser and clustered more, whereas the JTT pieces seem to be smaller/finer and more spread out/lacey along the strands. As per the image, the JTT fibers are also finer than the WS strands.

The JTT product color borders a bit towards the "too green"/garish, whereas the WS leansheavily towards an "olive green" shade. IMO, when using, both of these can benefit from some shading/coloring with paints to modify their colors or highlight surfaces/areas (though painting/shading should be done carefully as the foam could be blown off with to much pressure from an AB, or stick to a brush with paint on it.)

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Marcel pointed out these books when discussing my 1:35 start last weekend.

http://www.modelersalliance.com/component/content/article/72/374

http:// www.modelersalliance.com/component/content/article/73/510  

Highly recommended.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Hmm...the bottom link doesn't seem to work on any of my computers.

M

M-Works

jacq01

Quotethe bottom link doesn't seem to work on any of my computers.

Now it should be ok.

Also found following for all sorts of flowers and plants :  http://miniatures.about.com/od/dollhouseminiatures/tp/miniplants.htm
   The roses in 1:48 look very good. Also very useful for the larger scales.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Malachi Constant

Jacq --

Thanks for the various links ... that section on Miniatures at about.com has some good fabric & wallpaper downloads, etc. too.

Cheers,
Dallas

jacq01

The 2 books are in.  Highly recommended   
    It is not a guide how to build the samples shown, instead it is full of SBS for various situations, terrain and vegetation using simple materials and tools.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

Mr Potato Head

I ordered mine from his website and it took PayPal and was easy. The currency was in Hungarian so that threw me for a loop, because my currency conversion was not fluent in Hun money, but it worked out to about $50.00 for the pair. He asked why he was getting so many hits and orders. I told him about this site and Unc's Rag and suggested that he should advertise in the Annuals! You can send my commission any time Unc!
MPH
Did you know? The Spanish word "esposa" means "wife" the plural "esposas" means "wives" but also can be translated to "handcuffs" ! think about it,............
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho