• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fine-scale Leaves, Plants, Vegetation and Scenic /Scenery supplies

Started by marc_reusser, April 01, 2011, 02:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I was trying to find and add the company link for JTT to my previous post, when browsing through their website I ran across this material for "leaves".

"CHOPPED FALLING LEAVES"
http://www.jttmicroscale.com/viewproductdetail.asp?id=84

The product comes in three grades fine/med/coarse. I wonder what it is made of. Would be interested in getting my hands on some of this, or finding store that stocks it, so I could see it. Might be a good option to the seed issue.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

There are a couple of local shops that carry the JTT stuff.  The ready-made trees are so-so.  I'll probably pass one of those shops in the next week or so and will look to see if they have the chopped leaf stuff.  See how it looks & pick up a sample if it looks decent in person.

BTW ... direct link doesn't seem to work, but it gets you to their web site ... if you enter "chopped" in the search box, you'll get there.

-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 09, 2011, 12:52:52 AM
Nick,

Mon Plaisir. I agree with you about the Birch seeds appearing as what they are, however, I also feel there is a draw-back to using the true laser cut leaf shapes such as those from Plus Model. I really like the PM type leaves, and I think they are great for enhancing detail areas or for the one or two odd leaves laying on a scenic element, however (cost aside) having a whole large area/swath of perfect laser cut leaves seems very strange/jarring and unnatural to me. How often foes one see a whole area of perfect whole leaves laying around in real life? ;D This is where I feel the Birch seeds have a bit of an advantage, as you point out, they can be crushed and broken thus creating a more random and natural look of leaf debris......I think maybe a carefully mixing/blending of the two would be worth trying.

Marc

Marc,

Being the tight fisted sort that I am ,I would be reluctant to use many of the PM or GS leaves as litter . As you say a mixture of the two would probably work well , with the PM ones being individually glued onto a base of crushed birch seeds giving an impression that they are all from the same tree(s). I prefer to use the PM leaves as they were intended and on the trees . I have only done two saplings , so far, in this way , but I think with care it is possible to make them look pretty good . Maybe the next one I do I'll get right !

Nick

Bexley

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 09, 2011, 01:13:06 AMThe product comes in three grades fine/med/coarse. I wonder what it is made of.

Based on the look and name, I'd guess it's actually chopped up dead leaves.

Skullcrafts is another source of birch catkin "leaves." The price seems a little high, but I believe the seeds are already removed.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

DaKra

Lou Sassi, in his first book on MRR scenery described a method for making forest litter using a blender and a slurry of leaves and water.  Results were very realistic, and looks like the JTT bagged stuff.   There is a considerable convenience factor of using commercial product!  I really like Lou's book by the way, IMHO the best of the Kalmbach scenery books.

And I hope there will be no objection to a shameless plug.  I offer laser cut flowers in four colors.   
About .05 and .06" diameter for medium flowers in HO and small ones in O.

http://vectorcut.com/accessoriesHO.htm

Dave

Junior

Those little flowers can be seen outside the small building of the Krakow Auto Co.

Anders ;)

marc_reusser

A short little photo SBS on using The JoeFix Studios "Ivy" set (natural vines w/ Birch seed leaves), by Belgian modeller Nico Blomme.

http://thedioramaworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/quick-sbs-with-ivy-leafves.html

A pic of the result:

Marc

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Very effective. Do you know what scale the model is? I wonder what he used for the yellow flowers.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

I'm going to be very rude here ,  but to me that looks at bit like a contribution to a nature table at an infants school . It looks like an example of " Kitchen sink" modelling ( where everything is thrown in , including the kitchen sink) which doesn't quite work . This may be rich coming from me , who is probably one of the worst offenders in this type of modelling , but I think he has got to many different types of foliage in this one small area .
  The dead grass looks to stiff and clumped un-naturally . The ears of corn/wheat/oats/barley looks like what they are and the birch seeds still look like birch seeds . And the gate post needs more work on it . Other than that , it looks great .

I would also like to know what he used for the yellow flowers , as they do look good . I suspect they are laser cut paper .

Having said all that , it is miles better than what most other modellers produce , but it isn't quite there yet .

Am I being unduly critical here ?  Phone me on 1-234-5678 to let me know !

Nick  

marc_reusser

Sheesh Nick...I wasn't showing it for the rest of the scene....just to show the Fred-Rex ivy product. Put some blinders on man! ;) ;D

Marc

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 13, 2011, 01:42:10 AM
Sheesh Nick...I wasn't showing it for the rest of the scene....just to show the Fred-Rex ivy product. Put some blinders on man! ;) ;D

Marc

Sorry , I'll shut up . I guess it is hanging around you for so long made me say it .

Nick

TRAINS1941

Quote from: shropshire lad on April 13, 2011, 04:58:20 AM

Marc

Sorry , I'll shut up . I guess it is hanging around you for so long made me say it .

Nick

Nick there is an open corner!!!!! ;D
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

mabloodhound

Jeepers, I thought it all looked good.   So what do i know?   Link was helpful in seeing his work.
Nothing about the flowers, though. 8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on April 13, 2011, 05:18:05 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on April 13, 2011, 04:58:20 AM

Marc

Nick

Nick there is an open corner!!!!! ;D

I'm already in one of the other corners . Did you want me to move , or just stay where I am ?

Nick

W.P. Rayner

Stay away from my comfy chair... besides my corner's full now that a couple of Russ' thong-clad cuties are visiting...  ;)

Paul