Westlake Publishing Forums
September 24, 2017, 03:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Fine-scale Leaves, Plants, Vegetation and Scenic /Scenery supplies  (Read 91211 times)
Guy Milh(imeter)

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »

The guy uses Polāk products for his ground works.
Very very nice stuff, unfortunately the website says the company is for sale, ... Sad

http://www.polakmodel.com/en/text/main/Sales-1.html

Guy
shropshire lad

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2013, 01:58:34 AM »

The guy uses Polāk products for his ground works.
Very very nice stuff, unfortunately the website says the company is for sale, ... Sad

http://www.polakmodel.com/en/text/main/Sales-1.html

Guy

Which may not be a bad thing as any new owner might make their products easier to get hold of .
Guy Milh(imeter)

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »

here is another diorama from the same guy + SBS on groundwork !!

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8012&start=60

found his blog:

http://rollingstonemodel.blogspot.be/

but unfortunatly he stopped modelling: he's heart goes to R&R now (plays gitaar, (not that I understand Polish, on line translator machine did the work).
Strange, ... many modellers also play music  Grin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:27:21 AM by Guy Milh(imeter) » Logged
mspaw

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »

Gordon-

Is this sbs still available anywhere? I was just out collecting some leaves this afternoon, in prep for something coming up.

Thanks so much.

-Michael

This link will give you details of the different methods that I have used for preserving natural/real plants.

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/preserving.html

FWIW, my views:

Air Drying, works well with most vegetation but you need to plan ahead as it takes time - I have "sealed " plants after drying with light sprays of varnish.

Glycerine, again works well and the colour change helps indicate when process is completed - again takes time and I have had issues with "glycerine bleed" afterwards.

Desiccants, forget it unless you are sealing your model up after completion - even spraying with a varnish does not seem to stop plant re-absorbing moisture from the air.

Pressing, works well just visit a good natural history museum to see but not come across a use for it in modelling.

Microwave, my favourite due to speed and ease of use. You do need to experiment as there is a fine line between drying out the plant material so that it is still slightly pliable and drying it out to such an extent that it crumbles to dust when you touch it !

Gordon Ferguson

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2014, 02:36:16 AM »

Michael,

This link gives much the same info

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/plant_info/identifying_plants/processing_plant_specimens/Preserving_plant_specimens

Gordon
mspaw

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »

Thanks!

-Michael

Bill Gill

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »

Does anyone recognize this scenery foliage material?
I was given this small sample by a modeler who asked me what it was. I don't have a clue. I can't even tell if it is a synthetic material like a thin plastic film or something natural that has been processed. It is fairly fragile and falls apart readily if handled.

It kind of looks like Woodland Scenics "Foliage Clusters", but not exactly. The Woodland Scenics clusters look like they have a finer texture, but the photos on line are not sharp enough to tell for sure. There are other WS products that don't seem to look just like this either.

If you have used this stuff, what is it and where did it come from?

* foliage.jpg (98.04 KB, 800x691 - viewed 528 times.)
Design-HSB

Klosterstollen

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »

Bill

as you describe it, I think it could be Iceland moss.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal
Bill Gill

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »

Thank you, Helmut. it does look like it might be Icelandic moss that has been preserved and colored.
Bexley

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »

Ooh! Ooh! I know! It's SuperTurf from Scenic Express.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack
Bill Gill

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »

Thank you Bexley, It does look a lot like that Super Turf. I'll have to double check by comparing it in hand because it's so compact in the photo that it's hard to see exactly what the texture is. The Scenic Express site describes it as "a unique open-cell foam foliage". What I have looks more like a thin, crinkly plastic film instead of foam, but their  display photo does look pretty similar.
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »

Bexley, you seem very enthusiastic today. I will give you a gold star but you still must stand in the corner. -- ssuR
Bill Gill

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

May Bexley come out of the corner? His answer was correct! There's a very short YouTube video that shows the Super Turf up close at about 49 seconds and it is the same stuff I asked about.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG1DhU8SQ4g
Thanks Bexley.
Design-HSB

Klosterstollen

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2015, 05:19:15 PM »

OK, I'm going in the corner?

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »

Thank you for standing in the corner, Helmut. You are a shining example for everybody on this forum. -- Russ
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: