• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's 1:35 adventure

Started by jacq01, March 26, 2011, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: Frederic Testard on April 10, 2011, 01:32:03 PM
Ray, you may want to read this wikipedia page about this style of building : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing

Frederic,

That is a pretty concise overview of timber framing and very informative .

One thing I didn't see there is that just because a building has brickwork between the timberframing doesn't mean that it always has had brickwork there . There are a great number of timberframed buildings around that have brick infill panels that replaced previous panels of wattle and daub . This was either because the original panels decayed and were replaced with brick because it was easier or , I'm less sure I'm right here , that the use of brickwork became more fashionable and owners of buildings who could afford to spend the money changing the original panels would do so with brick .

Having said that I would say that the panels in Jacq's model may well have had wattle and daub panels originally but I don't think the watermill building in Jacq's photos did . In fact , I find the combination of brickwork  and timberframing in that building quite confusing , in that,  I can't from the photos , deduce what that building looked like originally , or even if it has been changed at all . There is probably a simple explanation , but without a close examination I  can't tell .
Cor , I just made that sound as if I know what I'm talking about ,

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ronald on April 10, 2011, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: fspg2 on April 10, 2011, 02:19:52 PM
Jacq,

I remember a thread of an exhibition. The Dutch modelbuilder Jacq Damen showed the following scene.

Maybe it can inspire you a little!

Frithjof

Frithjof, the starter of this topic (Jacq01) and the Jacq Damen you mentioned in your message are the same ........... ;D ;)

The clue is in the name !

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the additionnal information, Nick.
I suspect Jacq knows quite well the story of this particular mill and will be able to solve some of the unanswered questions.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Marc988

Quote from: jacq01 on April 10, 2011, 11:51:31 AM

after the meeting was finished, I went to the Oostendorper watermill to get detail information on fachwerk construction and waterwheels for my 1:35 project.

Hi Jacq,

did you see the message I send you regarding the water powered sawmill ?

I borrowed (linked) the following pictures from another sites to give an impression;

The building to the left houses sawmill section. At the moment the mill is closed for the public but I am in contact with a representative.

A small movie with some footage of the insides you will find here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAMdZrWMbi4

Regards,
Marc